Thread: Time out electric brakes

Time out electric brakes

I've had my time out for about a year in total now. It has the electric brakes installed, but I never installed a controller on my bike. I might like a little 'assistance' but I'm unsure about the wiring. The previous owner has a 4 flat end w/ only 2 wires connected. I assume +/- to the brakes, but does it matter which is which?
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Time out electric brakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electricbrake.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	21085
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Is that in addition to the connector for the lights?
    If so, what connector for the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I've had my time out for about a year in total now. It has the electric brakes installed, but I never installed a controller on my bike. I might like a little 'assistance' but I'm unsure about the wiring. The previous owner has a 4 flat end w/ only 2 wires connected. I assume +/- to the brakes, but does it matter which is which?
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent
    Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry

In the diagram, above, blue brake comes from the controller. Ground is any good bike ground. If your trailer has a frame ground off the light plug, that should work. Mine doesn't.

So to the controller, battery positive and negative, though I put a relay on that circuit to enable it only when the running lights are on. Which on mine, means the bike key is in the on position. That way the controller shuts off when I turn the bike off.

To get the running lights signal to the relay, I ran a wire from that wire on the main bike-side plug (which lights up the side lights and running light LED on the trailer) to the bike-side brake controller plug I have. It provides brake signal (the bike is being braked, the brake lights are on), positive and negative battery, and the running light trigger for the relay.

If you mount the controller on the trailer, you can either provide a bike-side plug for it (in addition to the 5-pin lights plug) or you can tap the wires trailer-side that come from the lights plug.

Because I initially had a controller mounted on a two-wheeler bike, Open Road Outfitters wired the brakes up separate from the lights plug, with its own plug. When I got the Tri Glide, and moved the controller to the trailer, I just used the brake output and ground of the controller to put a two pin charger-style plug on those, and connected it to the existing plug that is wired in series to the brakes.

Its working great, at least so far. If I get to winter camp in FL in mid-November and its still working, then I'll judge my wiring a success.

EDIT: I had a brake coil drop on one of the drum brakes. Since they are wired in series, I lost both brakes. Thats ok, if its going to fail, I'd hate to have one trailer wheel braking and one not. Turns out the replacement coil isn't very expensive, like $15. To test it, I took the wheel and exposed the brake drum. Then used a car battery with leads with alligator clips (small ones) to attach to the coil. If it made it hard to turn the wheel, it was working. The left side wasn't. Took 30 minutes after that to replace the bad coil and button everything up. Put some more grease in the bearing buddies while I was at it.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    Is that in addition to the connector for the lights?
    If so, what connector for the lights?
    I have flat 4 on the lights. I know a lot of people like the round connectors, or even going to a big ole 7 pin..but my concours and tag along tailer are flat four already, so I wired up the time out for flat 4 as well. The other connection is a second one separate for the brakes.

So do you have 2, flat 4 connetors on the timeout?

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I have flat 4 on the lights. I know a lot of people like the round connectors, or even going to a big ole 7 pin..but my concours and tag along tailer are flat four already, so I wired up the time out for flat 4 as well. The other connection is a second one separate for the brakes.

(Threadstarter)

Right, but the "brake connector" is just two wires......

Have you traced the wires on the trailer to each brake as to which is what color?

(Threadstarter)

That's my next step....just needed some background before I do it, which was provided here!

I personally actually dont even care about the brakes on it. It might be nice, but I've read the arguments both ways about brakes vs no brakes. When I have a passenger and the time out behind me, I definitely know it, and just ride accordingly (most times).