Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home built diamond plate cargo trailer

Home built diamond plate cargo trailer

I am planning to leave for Alaska on June 5th and will be doing an all camping ride. I had a small Kompact Kamp cargo trailer, but had to sell it because it was simply too small to carry all the gear I want to haul.

So I have bought the components and built myself a home built trailer which I believe will do the task very nicely. I bought the mini Harbor Freight trailer for the frame and custom ordered an aluminum diamond cargo box from K&W Tool Boxes. It's a big box....actually huge....but I can bring everything I want in the box and not say I wish I had this item when I get there. It measures 54"L x 40"W x 20"H. At least now I can bring my cot along which I will need for comfortable sleeping.

I have the frame and box all covered with bedliner spray. Still to do is the wiring when my Electrical Connection Isolator and 5-4 converter comes in...maybe tomorrow. The bearings are all repacked with much less grease and should be good now. My first attempt at the bearing packing I completely filled the hub cavity in addition to packing the bearings, thinking the more grease the better. Then I read where you can't have the cavity full of grease as it serves no purpose....only bearings get the grease. I took off all the incandescent lighting and installed all etrailer LED lighting units. I purchased a replacement 2.5" square x 1/8" wall x 108" long tongue. With 28" of frame in front of the axle and 20" of frame in back of the axle that gives me the 60% / 40% weight distribution with the heavier weight in front of the axle. The tongue is 91" from the center of the axle to the very end of the coupler with the axle width at 50" for a ratio of 1.82 so I'm hoping it will tag along behind me very nicely.

I tried weighing everything as it was added to the trailer build and the trailer empty weighs near 240lbs. Empty tongue weight using a digital fish scale is 25lbs. I put 4 bags of mulch weighing 33lbs. each inside the trailer and reweighed the tongue and found it was at 35lbs. with the total weight inside at 132lbs. which I think will be far more weight than any gear I'll put in the trailer. I have asked a friend who is a boss at a local trucking company if I can roll the trailer onto their shipping scale to check all the weights and will be doing so as soon as I get the lights on it so I can run it on the highway.

In addition to the wiring still to do, I have yet to give it a high speed blast down the highway to see if my hopes of a great handling trailer are well founded. I intend to put half a bottle of "Ride On balancer and sealer" into each trailer tire because of the roads I could experience in Alaska. Right now I am not planning on a big beer cooler on a rack at the front because with the size of this diamond plate cargo box I will have plenty of room inside the box for the cooler.

Here are a few pictures of the trailer build. Note at the back I have a 1" cavity built in so all the trailer wires will be out of sight and protected by the piece of 1/4" Luan plywood which is just sitting in place and not yet screwed into position.

Allen

Darksider #1655

(Threadstarter)

Re: Home built diamond plate cargo trailer

OK how do you post pictures here? It seems to be unlike posting pictures on gl1800riders and the basic board/ forum platform seems identical, but I can't post the pictures.

Allen

Allen,
    There is an Icon at the top of the toolbar when you are submitting a post... it's the one that looks like a picture.
    Selecting in will bring up a dialog box that gives you two options.
    One is to choose a file that is on your computer...
    The other is to point to a file on the internet...

Give that a try.
    Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insert Image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	21037

Name:	From Computer.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	21038

Name:	From URL.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	21039

[It is unlike the Drag-and-Drop tool on the GL1800Riders forum]
    2013 Honda F6B
    www.RydePyrat.com

Good plan with the Ride-On...but make sure you put it in your bike tires too. I've used it for years, and knock on wood, never needed the benefits of it. Supposed to be a "pre-installed" slime at that point. Just make sure you give your tire guys a heads up when they pull the tires. It's water soluble and cleans up with a hose, but they get huffy if they get gunk on their equipment.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

(Threadstarter)

Here's another attempt to upload some pictures. Absolutely frustrating.

Allen

For some reason I can't upload pics from my android phone, Have to do it from my laptop.

Ken

(Threadstarter)

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	21041Well I get the Electrical Connection Isolator and 5-4 converter in today, but didn't have time to work on that.

As far as the pictures are concerned, I am trying to upload pictures that are on my computer so I'm clicking on that symbol at the top of the message box and bringing up the browse box. When I go into my pictures and select a picture to upload nothing is happening even after I click on select. On the other board you can select eight pictures to upload I believe, but I only see the upload for a single picture at a time on this board and that isn't working for me.

Allen

(Threadstarter)

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	543.9 KB 
ID:	21042Somehow that picture uploaded. How many pictures can be uploaded per post?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
    ... When I go into my pictures and select a picture to upload nothing is happening even after I click on select. On the other board you can select eight pictures to upload I believe, but I only see the upload for a single picture at a time on this board and that isn't working for me.

Allen
    After selecting the picture, you must click on upload (I assume it worked at least once, since your previous posts had pictures in them).
    I know that there is also a limitation on the picture size here, and if it doesn't work, it just aborts... that could be the problem.

You might try taking an image and scaling the resolution down a bit, then saving it as a different name and try uploading the smaller image here.
    I just open mine in "Paint" (I'm on a PC with Win10) and choose "Resize" then back it down to 25 or 35 percent of the original size.
    Not much is lost since we are viewing them in our browsers.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

Jim

(Threadstarter)

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	21043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	518.0 KB 
ID:	21044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	21045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	547.5 KB 
ID:	21046