Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

(Threadstarter)

Re: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

It seems like a peppy little motor, what with the turbo and all. We're happy with it. I plan to tow this thing around locally for a while to get the feel for it. Nobody coming? Slam on the brakes and see what it does. Repeat often, same as, "flying the chair", with the sidecar on right turns. Do it enough and it becomes 2nd nature. Then, it won't surprise you when it happens in a panic.
    We're slow, and like to go old!

(Threadstarter)

Ok, got the Hopkins InSIGHT remote brake controller installed on the bike. This unit has three parts, the control box, (needs to be mounted a certain way, and in a waterproof environment. I chose the toolbox under my seat), the slider unit, and the display.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ers/47297.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47297.6.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	20942

I took the control unit apart, and there really was no way to waterproof it, given that it has a large sliding switch, so I had to improvise. I though about coating it will Flexseal, but then the slider wouldn't slide, so here's my solution. It looks like my left switch unit has a tumor, but it's nice and waterproof, the buttons work for adjustments, and the glove material is flexible enough to allow the slider to work if I need it.

Name:	PicsArt_01-25-02.40.35.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	20943

Then, I used Gorilla Glue double sided mounting tape to stick the control unit in place. Wire tied it in place to let the tape cure overnight.

Then, I cut a heavy duty black rubber glove at the end of the wrist, leaving me with a rubber tube. Gathered on end and zip tied it. Turned it inside out, (so the gathered section wouldn't show, and zip tied it in place.

Name:	PicsArt_01-25-04.46.43.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	20944

The result is waterproof, and works great, (but still looks like a big tumor! Lol).

Name:	PicsArt_05-02-09.27.22.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	20945

Name:	PicsArt_05-02-09.27.55.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	20946

Then, I sprayed the display unit with Flexseal clear. This is where I screwed up. It looks like holy hell. Someday I'll buy a new display unit and redo it so it looks better.

Name:	PicsArt_05-02-09.28.20.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	20947

I get the custom hitch built locally on Thursday, then it's time to install the trailer wiring harness. Ugh, I hate wiring. SO many sparks, burning smells, and black light bulbs and fuses.

"I'M TRYING TO RIG UP THESE LIGHTS!!"
    "ONE GOES OUT, THEY ALL GO OUT!!"

Merry Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by sixbennetts View Post
    Ok, got the Hopkins InSIGHT remote brake controller installed on the bike. This unit has three parts, the control box, (needs to be mounted a certain way, and in a waterproof environment. I chose the toolbox under my seat), the slider unit, and the display.
    I was really looking into one of these and was hoping it was blue tooth or something so I could mount the whole mess in the trailer and just have the controls on the bike. I guess I'll stick with a regular old controller in the trailer...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Seriously considered a bluetooth controller, or trailer mount myself, but we only have one motorcycle, our Ural Retro sidecar. The only other vehicles that will be towing this are cars, (ours and our sons), and there's no need for brakes on the trailer for them,seeing as it's so light.

Quote Originally Posted by sixbennetts View Post
    Seriously considered a bluetooth controller, or trailer mount myself, but we only have one motorcycle, our Ural Retro sidecar. The only other vehicles that will be towing this are cars, (ours and our sons), and there's no need for brakes on the trailer for them,seeing as it's so light.
    Anybody ever see a 'blue tooth" type of controller where you can have the adjustment setup mounted on the bike like the controller above and the brake box mounted on the trailer?

Seriously considering moving to a Ural and already have the Aspen. Very interested in the ride reports and how the Ural pulls the Aspen.
    Keith / FatBasturd
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour & 2013 Aspen Classic

Quote Originally Posted by FatBasturd View Post
    Seriously considering moving to a Ural and already have the Aspen. Very interested in the ride reports and how the Ural pulls the Aspen.
    Keith ... Knowing how you & Kathy pack (stuff) an Aspen, a poor little underpowered Ural wouldn't stand a chance ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Keith ... Knowing how you & Kathy pack (stuff) an Aspen, a poor little underpowered Ural wouldn't stand a chance ...
    Did Keith mention a turbo? Didn't know there was such a thing.

I did see an insurance ad on TV where this fellow was riding a red URAL and pulling a teardrop camper. Gruff looking fella with beard flying in the wind, wearing one of those leather WWI helmets. I'm thinking he may have been going downhill
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

George ... I agree, we have a stuff problem, over planning, etc. The Aspen (as well as myself) has been on a slow weight loss program. Last year we added a porta-potti to the cargo area so a bunch of stuff had to go. Porta-Potties take up a large amount of room and don't weight much without water in them.

I am also thinking I could move the battery for the CPAP, etc from the camper to the bike. This will make the power available if we are tent camping or overnighting something where there is no power.

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Did Keith mention a turbo? Didn't know there was such a thing.

I did see an insurance ad on TV where this fellow was riding a red URAL and pulling a teardrop camper. Gruff looking fella with beard flying in the wind, wearing one of those leather WWI helmets. I'm thinking he may have been going downhill
    Bob, Living in Denver now. Actually Aurora, co. Do you have any experience with a Ural? Think that a Ural pulling the Aspen could get up 285 towards Conifer and out the Buena Vista Area?

Hmm ... Turbo charged Ural?!