Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

Re: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

Quote Originally Posted by sixbennetts View Post
    Well, the Fastest I've ever gone on it is 57mph!!
    That's fast enough! ... ..

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

(Threadstarter)

Sure was! Lost two fillings and a pair of underbritches that day. Never again.
    We're slow, and like to go old!

You're gonna really like that Aspen....local towing, slow and easy may be just the ticket...like that is going to be a 500+lb anchor dragging behind your Ural..like a previous poster, anxious to hear your trip report on performance. Regardless, you are going to be a happy camper.

(Threadstarter)

I hope so. We were going to consider something smaller and lighter, but after evaluating our riding style, we realized we never go fast, and always prefer the backroads to even secondary two lane routes.

An easy way to find those backcountry routes is to use Google maps on walking mode. It'll find you the shortest route, and usually avoid the highway. One trip we really want to do is Plattsburgh to Cape Cod via all backroads and dirt county roads. We'll start at the top of the Bayley-Hazen military road in northwest VT, cut diagonally across southeast NH, (found a good route on ADV forum that's mostly maintained gravel county roads), then slash diagonally across southeast MA to the Cape! Researching free campsites as we speak!

More about the Hopkins InSIGHT brake controller next post. It's a three part, remote mount brake controller designed to mount inside a car or truck, but I'm waterproofing it for motorcycle use!

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ers/47297.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	609806m2_ts.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	20931

I really like the idea of this controller. I know most people just "set them and forget them" but some times I'd like to be able to add or subtract a little brake.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2011 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

It's adjustable both for how hard the brakes are put on, and how sensitive they are. I figure I'll adjust the trailer brakes so they stop even, and then adjust the controller. Sidecars are different from trikes, Spiders, or regular 2 wheel bikes, in that when you accelerate, the sidecar weight/drag pulls you too the right, and when you lift off or apply brakes, it pulls left. I'm used to it now, but adding a trailer will add to that. I'm hoping to be able to adjust some/all of the yaw out of it, at least for stopping. No much I can do about acceleration yaw, besides just live with it.

The panic stop situation scares me most. In all my years driving doubles, and all my years on bikes, I've never had to lock it all up. A sweeping left downhill curve would be the worst case scenario. The front of the sidecar would nosedive, lifting the back of the bike. Add the trailer weight to that, and I can envision the whole mess standing up like a teepee!

Ring the bell, school's back in!

It's adjustable both for how hard the brakes are put on, and how sensitive they are. I figure I'll adjust the trailer brakes so they stop even, and then adjust the controller. Sidecars are different from trikes, Spiders, or regular 2 wheel bikes, in that when you accelerate, the sidecar weight/drag pulls you too the right, and when you lift off or apply brakes, it pulls left. I'm used to it now, but adding a trailer will add to that. I'm hoping to be able to adjust some/all of the yaw out of it, at least for stopping. No much I can do about acceleration yaw, besides just live with it.

The panic stop situation scares me most. In all my years driving doubles, and all my years on bikes, I've never had to lock it all up. A sweeping left downhill curve would be the worst case scenario. The front of the sidecar would nosedive, lifting the back of the bike. Add the trailer weight to that, and I can envision the whole mess standing up like a teepee!

Ring the bell, school's back in!
    The Aspen is great to tow behind a small car or pickup...we towed ours from Kentucky up to northern Minnesota with a RAV 4 a couple of summers ago...and enjoyed the trip "almost" as much as if we had been on the bike...went through some serious weather a couple of times and were even thankful we were not on the bike.

(Threadstarter)

We just leased a Buick Encore that has a 1.5 liter lawnmower engine in it. I used it to tow the Aspen home from the local freight office it was shipped to. Only a few miles, but I didn't even feel it back there. I can easily see us towing it for camping trips.

We just leased a Buick Encore that has a 1.5 liter lawnmower engine in it. I used it to tow the Aspen home from the local freight office it was shipped to. Only a few miles, but I didn't even feel it back there. I can easily see us towing it for camping trips.
    I just put a tow hitch on my Ford Escape with the same 1.5 liter. I doubt it'll pull anything bigger then a motorcycle camper. The bike has a 1.8 litter and only a quarter of the weight...

The panic stop situation scares me most. In all my years driving doubles, and all my years on bikes, I've never had to lock it all up.
    I locked both wheels up once. Rainy day driving through a town and hit one of those lights that went from green to red. The camper pushed me right into the intersection. Luckily the cross traffic didn't get a green light right away so I just goosed it and went through. That's why I wanted brakes on the camper...