Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

I'm old. I'm broke down. I'm tired. After going to war as a young man, marriage to a wonderful woman for 32 years today, after working all the way to retirement, and raising four strong, smart, trustworthy 6 foot tall men, I've had enough.

So, Barb and I sold my dream truck, and used some of the money to buy our 1st brand new vehicle ever, a 2017 Aspen Classic camper!

Oh boy!

After endless emails back and forth with Lennard Lado from,
    http://www.crosscountrycamping.com/
    WE BOUGHT!

The experience could not have been easier, or more comfortable. Lennard is THE consummate salesman, being patient above all, kind, honest, but never pushing or rushing. Straight up good guy. Occasional contact with Brady and Emily at the manufacturer were equally as pleasant. Quick responses, complete answers, suggestions, all were freely given.

NEVER a curt reply. NEVER impatience. NEVER anything but excellent customer service, which is matched ONLY by the quality of their product.

Their PRODUCT! Holy guacamole, these are cool little campers! Light, small, but with a king size bed! Our bed at home is just a queen, and it's big enough. This king is YUGE! Tent material seems tough as nails, bulletproof zippers, and the poles and hardware are all overbuilt. Fiberglass is strong and smooth. The full steel frame is rigid, the wiring all loomed, and the fixtures well secured. All lugs tight, and plenty of grease in the bearings.

And yet lightweight! Towed it home from the shipper in town with a Buick Encore with a 1.5 liter lawnmower engine, and I still didn't even feel it. We'll see how the Ural does with it, but I'm not expecting much! (I think I'm going to mount a SLOW VEHICLE sign on the back!)

Urals are GREAT for backroads and 55 mph, (which we prefer), and we won't be taking it on the highway. Like, ever! So...slow is good. Below are some initial pics with the outfit parked in front so you all can see what the whole rig will look. I'm going to pinstripe the trailer sides to match the outfit.

Some points:

1. The water containers will be filled when we are close to, or at, our destination. Then they'll be dumped when we leave, so we won't be traveling far fully loaded.

2. Yes, the Whynter 45 expedition fridge is heavy, but we intend to make allowances for it when we go to campgrounds with power for an extended stay. Most of the time we'll be using a smaller standard cooler.

3. Same for the propane. Only for extended stays, and filled near destination. (Shooting for a 35-40 lb tongue weight.

4. Yes, it has brakes from the factory. I'm currently working on installing a Hopkins InSIGHT brake controller, (Urals are not known for their brakes!) Here's a link to how I plan to install it:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...l=1#post161799

Aaaannd, here's some pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_04-27-12.12.52.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	20923

Name:	PicsArt_04-27-11.31.22.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	20924

Name:	PicsArt_04-27-11.38.13.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	20925

Name:	PicsArt_04-27-11.39.20.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	456.7 KB 
ID:	20926

Name:	PicsArt_04-27-11.42.45.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	356.6 KB 
ID:	20927
    We're slow, and like to go old!

Re: 2017 Aspen Classic & 2007 Ural Retro

Great set up. Have fun!
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Looks great. You made a good choice. Now its time to enjoy the easy paced life.
    I'll bet it is going to be very well received at all the camp grounds.
    Cheers, David C.
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Looks good. I see you got the extended tongue too. Enjoy!
    Randy
    2009 Road King 2014 Mini Mate sold
    2016 Road Glide Ultra
    2017 Aspen Classic

Very nice rig, bet you will have a blast with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-03-21 13.30.50.jpg  
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Congratulations.......you've earned it....

looks great.... now go and play..... Enjoy!!
    Mid-Wester
    2006 Star Stratoliner XV1900S
    2012 Aspen Classic
    DS #387

Nice rig, I just bought a Mini Mate and I pull it with my Ural Troyka. I didn't think anyone else in NY had a Ural. We should meet up and ride sometime.

(Threadstarter)

We're WAY up in the north east corner of the state. Couple guys from Soviet Steeds about an hour south of me, but they haven't been active there for a while now, (must be too busy riding!) Two more bikes I know of here, a camo GU, and a Retro like mine I pass once in a while. Tried to turn around and catch him once, but he rides like he stole it. (Hope he didn't!) Neither one of the second two are active online that I know of, but you never know..

Gotta get a hitch made Thursday so I can tow it. Wiring the electricals for the hitch harness this weekend. Which probably means Monday will be fuse replacement day!

Congratulations on your new rig. I am anxious for a road report as to how the Ural handles tugging that trailer. Top speed vs. non-towing, etc.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

(Threadstarter)

Well, that require for me to find out the top speed of my bike without the trailer behind it 1st, something I've never done! Fastest I've ever gone on it is 57mph!!