Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aspen Classic tongue weight

Re: Aspen Classic tongue weight

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead61 View Post
    Dusty I think you are mistaken on the longer tongue. When I added the extended tongue on mine the tongue became a lot heavier and I had to readjust my packing to lighten it up. I try to keep mine at about 35-40 lbs. A longer tongue adds more metal in front of axle at a longer distance from axle. I also made it harder to pick up tongue and move it around. Not a lot but it is heavier.
    However I do like the ride better.
    Unless one uses very heavy metal to lengthen the tongue... it's simple physics. A longer tongue provides more leverage, and the same amount of weight situated the same way in the trailer, should result in less weight at the ball of the hitch. Same idea as a torque wrench. If a torque wrench is set for 50 ft/lbs and has a 1 ft handle, and you apply 50 lbs of pressure at the end of the handle, you get 50 lbs before it "clicks". If you add an extra 1 ft extension and now have a 2 ft handle, the same 50 lbs of pressure at the end of the 2 ft handle, will result in 100 lbs of torque. 2ft x 50lbs now equals 100 ft lbs.
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Only time I ever checked mine it was 40 lbs. if I remember correctly....
    RIDE TO LIVE !

I have a 2003 Sentry and when I bought it there was the standard length tongue. I had it loaded and had about 35 lbs tongue weight. I decided to get the extended tongue put on at the factory and when I did the tongue weight changed to almost 45 lbs and the weight in trailer had to be adjusted. It is a factory tongue made of the same material as the standard tongue. Now on a car this would make no difference but on a motorcycle it makes a huge difference depending on the size of bike, how many people on the bike and how much luggage on the bike. Yes a longer handle on a wrench makes it easier to turn but on a trailer the longer tongue adds weight to the end unless you move the axle forward to make up the difference in balance. Like I said it is not a huge difference if you have a heavy tow vehicle but when you are worried about the difference of 5 lbs of weight then it is a big difference.
    Gene
    1996 GL1500 SE, 2003 Aspen. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
    Life Is What You Make Of It; Please Make It Fun It Doesn’t Last Long.

Quote Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
    Unless one uses very heavy metal to lengthen the tongue... it's simple physics. A longer tongue provides more leverage, and the same amount of weight situated the same way in the trailer, should result in less weight at the ball of the hitch. Same idea as a torque wrench. If a torque wrench is set for 50 ft/lbs and has a 1 ft handle, and you apply 50 lbs of pressure at the end of the handle, you get 50 lbs before it "clicks". If you add an extra 1 ft extension and now have a 2 ft handle, the same 50 lbs of pressure at the end of the 2 ft handle, will result in 100 lbs of torque. 2ft x 50lbs now equals 100 ft lbs.
    There is a difference between force and weight....it's basic physics
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Lots of thoughts..
    I too went with the extended tongue on the Aspen. Better leverage It takes some of the torque off the hitch over bumps and bridges.
    As far as the weight goes I preffer a much lighter tongue weight.
    Again takes the stress off the bike. Lighter tongue weight on my quick camps was not a good time however the Aspen with extended hitch handles wonderfully with less tongue weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising With Ken View Post
    Lots of thoughts..
    I too went with the extended tongue on the Aspen. Better leverage It takes some of the torque off the hitch over bumps and bridges.
    As far as the weight goes I preffer a much lighter tongue weight.
    Again takes the stress off the bike. Lighter tongue weight on my quick camps was not a good time however the Aspen with extended hitch handles wonderfully with less tongue weight.
    For the record I guenuinly enjoyed the "Kwik Kamps" there a wonderful trailer. I ran about 30-35 on the Kwik Kamp

Tonue weight of the trailer is not the only factor. Different bikes, different hitches, different suspensions, etc...

If you need to lighten your tongue weight, as I did on a Travl-Lite, try to break up the cooler load out front. I had a smaller cooler that I put inside the trailer (for long term food storage), behind the axle to offset the quick/easy access cooler on the tongue in front of the axle.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Tongue weight is needed to prevent sway. Also by extending the tongue length it gives the trailer more leverage to induce sway. Tongue weight should be between 9%-15%

This sounds a lot like the great oil and filter debate

As far as the extended tongue, I replaced my tongue with aluminum +18" The extended tongue weighs in around the same as the old heavy steel one.

I semi-retired the rig, so I cannot say for sure that it would handle better. As far as weight at the ball, it never was an issue for me over the years. I always just did the grab the tongue and heft it technique.

Swivel hitch? Ain't going there...
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

I did not like how long the flat bar on my Bushtec hitch had to extend rearward on my 2012 GoldWing. The pre 2012s without the tapered saddlebags had a much shorter drawbar and resulted in much less stress and leverage on the Wing. I modified the rear fender and can now use a pre-2012 drawbar. The tongue on my Hannigan doesn't hit when turning as short as possible. I will have to be a little more careful with my Rollahome and its extended (12"s) tongue. It barely does hit if I turn all the way to the handlebar stops. But I think the risk is worth it. Only when a few miles so far with the Rollahome but I think I could feel an improvement. Will know soon when wife and I go to Albert Icefields Parkway again the first of July
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8793.JPG   IMG_8794.JPG   IMG_8795.JPG