Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen Classic tongue weight

Aspen Classic tongue weight

Last fall I started a thread about swivel hitch snapping in half pulling onto an on ramp. Many believed that 50 pounds was too much weight and was the cause. For you Classic owners, what weight do you run on yours. The camper comes in at around 325 and has a tongue weight of around 35 when empty. I figured it to be around 500 after we loaded it and 45-50 on the tongue. Even putting the heavy stuff in the back it is still nose heavy especially with a cooler on the front. What should I be doing to keep the weight off. I know you should try to center the heavy stuff over the wheels but nothing seems to help. Would any mod to the camper help? Thanks for the advice.

Re: Aspen Classic tongue weight

Trailer tongue weight is one thing to take into consideration, but also be aware MOST manufactured motorcycle trailer hitches also have a maximum weight limit.
    Usually being between 50 - 60 pounds maximum drawbar weight. ~ Check with the manufacturer of your hitch to be sure before overloading your hitch ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Did you ever contact the swivel hitch manufacturer in regards to the issue you had? I seem to recall you mentioning in your original post that you hit a big pot hole. Now you make no mention of it. Not that should cause the swivel hitch to break, but it's nice if one provides the full story, instead of "as I was driving along it broke"......
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

(Threadstarter)

Sorry about being incomplete on the OP. My original post http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...ht=#post159414 tells the story of the swivel breaking. I did not contact the manufacturer because I bought it third hand and don't know who the manufacturer was and don't know what kind of abuse it took. I am satisfied to leave the swivel off and go on from there. Just trying to figure out how others balance out their Classics.

The hitch is a Bushtec Vertical on a 02 Goldwing. I think the hitch states it is rated at #75.

Quote Originally Posted by Badd Dadd View Post
    For you Classic owners, what weight do you run on yours? What should I be doing to keep the weight off.?
    Dadd, your numbers are pretty close. For what it's worth, my Aspen Classic fully loaded is running right at 47 pounds of tongue weight (+/-) resting on a Bushtec vertical hitch (on a Honda GL1800). One thing I did was to use a smaller cooler and pack it inside the trailer, just forward of the axle, which I actually find more convenient. Instead of the cooler on the tongue, I have a tool box bolted down with just a few necessary items in it; tongue lock, tent stakes and para cord, wheel chocks, a brush, gloves, etc., things I need to get at when setting up. Much less weight than the cooler was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Box.jpg  

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Adding a longer tongue also helps to keep the tongue weight at the ball down a bit. Tracks/handles better as well!
    On my Aspen Sentry, I like to keep the tongue weight to 35 -40 lbs with a full cooler on the tongue

With no food/ice in the cooler, it is around the 25 lb mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030792  -  1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	20913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030790  -  1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	20914
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

I use a more scientific approach to the tongue weight on our Aspen Classic than Ken does. I simply pull up on the tongue with one hand and see if it feels more that a 20 lb. bag of cat feed or less than a 50 lb. bag of bird seed. My Bride (Dusty Boots IL M&G girl friend) feeds a lot of both feeds so I have knowledge of both weights.
    Two "OLD" people, a 2010 Honda 1800, a 2015 Aspen Classic W/AC and electric brakes. Living life while we can still remember it. Plus we are trying to keep up with Dusty Boots but legends are hard to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Adding a longer tongue also helps to keep the tongue weight at the ball down a bit. Tracks/handles better as well!
    On my Aspen Sentry, I like to keep the tongue weight to 35 -40 lbs with a full cooler on the tongue

With no food/ice in the cooler, it is around the 25 lb mark
    Dusty I think you are mistaken on the longer tongue. When I added the extended tongue on mine the tongue became a lot heavier and I had to readjust my packing to lighten it up. I try to keep mine at about 35-40 lbs. A longer tongue adds more metal in front of axle at a longer distance from axle. I also made it harder to pick up tongue and move it around. Not a lot but it is heavier.
    However I do like the ride better.
    Gene
    1996 GL1500 SE, 2003 Aspen. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
    Life Is What You Make Of It; Please Make It Fun It Doesn’t Last Long.

I try to keep my Leesure Lite at around 50 - 55 lbs. Empty, the tongue weight is about 30 lbs.

If i remember correctly, your tongue weight should be at least 10% of your total trailer weight, to keep it from wagging.

--
    Gordon

I shoot for 38 to 42# less for wigwag and much more its just too heavy!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!