Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Susquehanna State Park

Susquehanna State Park

Will be camping here in May (however not on the bike) but will be using our Bunkhouse. Will post more info about the park after our camping trip.

729 Craig’s Corner Road, Havre de Grace, MD 21078
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 28,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Re: Susquehanna State Park

Just MAY, no weekend yet? If my new RAH ever shows up I might make it. I wonder if LuRay will show up, he's from down there in Haggerstown.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2011 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

Will be there May 6th-10th (departing on the 10th). Our first camping for the year is a present to myself!

I'd be tempted to go only because I grew up near the Susquehanna River in New York State, and I have been to that park in MD. Outstanding park. But by mid May, I will probably have sold my Triumph Trophy 1200 and be only using the Honda GL-500 Interstate for camping. That's a back roads 60 mph bike loaded, so highways are out. When I sell the Triumph, my moto camping will be limited to a 200 mile radius around my home. I guess I could drive my car, but that would ruin the experience for me. I'm a die-hard Moto-Camper. Alas, I'll have to pass. But I bet you guys are going to have a GREAT time.

Enjoy!

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    I'd be tempted to go only because I grew up near the Susquehanna River in New York State, and I have been to that park in MD. Outstanding park. But by mid May, I will probably have sold my Triumph Trophy 1200 and be only using the Honda GL-500 Interstate for camping. That's a back roads 60 mph bike loaded, so highways are out. When I sell the Triumph, my moto camping will be limited to a 200 mile radius around my home. I guess I could drive my car, but that would ruin the experience for me. I'm a die-hard Moto-Camper. Alas, I'll have to pass. But I bet you guys are going to have a GREAT time.

Enjoy!

-3Sport
    Unless I'm missing something, I do not see why you feel you are limited to just 200 mi from home? Perhaps you meant 200 mi/day! )?

Get out of the 'Interstate Mentality'!!!
    The very vast majority of my motocamping (90+%) is done on small highways/2 lane black top and that's the way I prefer it. Less traffic (unless in town) slower pace, getting more of a feeling for the people while riding through their area, making sight seeing more enjoyable ...... able to smell the flowers while I tour.
    I usually average 50 - 55 mph when all is said and done and usually cover anywhere from 250 - 500 mi per day, depending on road conditions/photo ops etc.
    As a matter of fact, when I was on the road for 3+ months and over 21,000 mi in 2011, I put on more miles riding gravel roads than I did riding Interstates!

Don't limit yourself to that 200 mi from home 'barrier'!!

I've ridden the Honda GL500 and it's a very capable bike for 1 up camping. Capable of over 100 mph and a decent, comfortable ride, decent range and with luggage to boot!

Enjoy your ride and camp out, Wingpilot!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

If you feel the distance is to great for the Honda, keep the Triumph for the longer distance riding.

Thanks gents.

Yes, I love the Honda GL-500 Interstate. I had been looking for one in pristine shape for years, and finally found one. It's an amazing bike for 1 up camping, as Dusty said.

I agree, and have been off of the interstate for years. When I was doing coast-to-coast hard cruising and wanted to get someplace fast, the Triumph was the way to go. It handles 80 mph all day long without breaking a sweat. The Honda can do 80, but it's breathing hard and you are around 7.5 - 8k RPM so it's buzzing like a hornet. It was made to do that so no harm, but it gets tedious on the highway.

Back roads camping is WHY I bought the Honda. I spent 20 years moto camping coast ot coast. I am now going to spend a few years on back roads closer to home. But I am planning an Ohio to Florida trip via US 23 on the Honda this Fall. I will really enjoy that. And next year is a Route 66 from St. Louis to Arizona and back. Can't wait.

Have fun at Susquehanna!

-3Sport

So I'm a bit curious about how you decide your route ? Do you pick the shortest way without using the hwy or do you pick what seems to be the most scenic ? I guess since I've always been on a time schedule I've had to take the highway to get to my destination quicker so I'm curious what you use to get your route ..

I go with the best "road" for a motorcycle other than highway, and it if happens to be scenic, so much the better.

I've been traveling extensively on business (via automobile) since the late 80's. From Maine to California. I know most secondary routes, like rte 23, rte 30, rte 6, 13, 14, and the list goes on and on. I spent 20 years on a bike riding highways because of time and distance, so I wanted to really dive into back roads more. Most of them I have driven via car over the decades, and some on motorcycle. Not all of my riding and camping since 1995 has been highways. Mapquest lets you choose *AVOID HIGHWAYS* when planning a route so that's my backup way to plan a non-highway route if I don't personally know or have experience with the back roads. For example, if you were to ask Mapquest to take you from Columbus, Ohio to Jacksonville, Florida and AVOID HIGHWAYS, the route it chooses is Route 23 (for the most part). I have enjoyed riding route 23, especially around Big Stone Gap, Virginia.

I used to belong to a forum called "Back Roads Motorcycle Camping" that was fairly popular in the early to late 2,000s. No actuvity there for a very long time, but it was a good source for talking about secondary route moto transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    Will be there May 6th-10th (departing on the 10th). Our first camping for the year is a present to myself!
    Not much time for my camper to show up so I might not be able to make it...