Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsized my camping Motorcycle

Downsized my camping Motorcycle

Last year I decided to downsize my big touring machine (97 Goldwing SE 1500) to something different.

I stayed in the Honda field.
    ​Mailed a payment off yesterday.* The dealer will be sending the bill of sale in the
    ​mail so I can register the bike.* He will keep it at the shop until I can get over to
    pick it up.
    ​Purchased a 2010 Honda CBF600sa black, with only 1050 kms. on the odometer complete with hard luggage.
    * They are ​throwing in a throttle lock, setup for battery tender and I only pay the amount over $100 on a
    ​bike cover.*
    ​Gone from shaft drive to chain drive.* New experience for me.
    ​They say no pictures, it ain't true.* So lets have a drum roll.
    *​Here is proof.

I apologize for unclear pictures as I used my cellphone. I destroyed my camera on the last trip I took and haven't replace it yet.

Looking forward travelling and camping on this new set of wheels.

The season here is just getting under way. More and more riders are showing upe on the roads every day.

John

2010 Honda CBF600SA
    Pearl Nightstar Black
    John

Re: Downsized my camping Motorcycle

Nice pics. I suspect that Honda will serve you well. If you do any camping in the mountains that bike would be a nice size on which to venture up a forest service road a ways to get away from the crowds.
    2012 Harley Limited

Congrats on the new bike. I like it. Do they sell that model in the US? I'm not familiar with it. Could just be me.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by wrchael414 View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. I like it. Do they sell that model in the US? I'm not familiar with it. Could just be me.
    This bike is very popular in Europe. Honda Canada decided to bring it into Canada. Not available in the US. Seems Honda Canada didn't think it was a good seller
    here so it is no longer available. Believe the last model year was 2013. I have a small dealer who services my bikes. He test road the bike and he was very
    surprised with the overall handling, etc. He called in a baby brother to the Honda ST1300.

Looking forward to first shakedown ride. Maybe a couple of weeks before I can pick it up. Weather up here this time of the year is still iffy. Today is warm but wind is
    gusting to 70 kmh (about 45 mph).

Reviews that I have read and videos seem to be well supportive of the bike. Going to be quite a change from a Goldwing comfy couch.

That's for the comments.

John

congrats on the new to you bike, always fun to ride something different. I've been thinking of down sizing myself to be able to do more FS roads, etc. Gonna look around this year and pick up something in time for next year. Will ride my trusty VTX this year after totaling the Venture back in Oct.
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

Aloha!

NICE BIKE OP! Congrats indeed. I'd love to own her.

I downgrade most of the time from my Triumph Trophy 1200 to a 1982 Honda GL-500 Interstate Silverwing. I looked for this bike specifically for camping. It's got plenty of oomph even though only a 500 cc, I like the twisted V engine, it has good hard luggage and a great fairing for wind protection, and, believe it or not, the same passenger load capacity as my Triumph 1200. Sure, when I'm doing 65 MPH it does not take off like a jack-rabbit to 100 like the Triumph will, but it gets twice the gas mileage, and it's more fun and more comfortable for me to ride. The Triumph is a sport tour and the Honda is a standard. I found one with only 20k on the clock, and in magnificent shape. Been happy as a clam camping with it.

The Triumph is chain drive, as most Sport-Touring machines are, and that can be a bit of a pain, but it's not the end of the world. Just carry some chain wax, and keep it as clean as possible and waxed and you'll be fine. I took the Triumph coast to coast many times in rain, and it's not too bad. I prefer shaft, but chain gets the job done. What I don't like is the more agressive "Lean Forward" of the Triumph riding position. I'm in good shape, I lift weights and participate in sports regularly, but 100 miles plus on the Triumph really gets to my upper back muscles. The Honda is so much more comfortable to me.

When I retire the Honda, I'll have to consider something like the CBF600sa. I think it was a great choice on your behalf.

ENJOY THAT BIKE!

The Honda GL-500 Interstate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161006_150620.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	20885

Verses the Triumph Trophy 1200

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floridabike2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	20886
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Looks like a nice bike, enjoy
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers

Great looking bike, wish I still had my DHC500 Yamaha from the 70's.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Going to be quite a change from the Wing. Don't forget to change your signature at the bottom of your page.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2011 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Congrats on the new ride, great looking bike!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster