Thread: Headed for San Antonio and Big Bend NP

Headed for San Antonio and Big Bend NP

Leave in the morning for Llano, Tx area. Plan to stay at Oxford Ranch CG just south of Llano Saturday night. Then to SA for big Gas Processors Midstream Association annual convention Sunday - Tuesday. Then plan to go to Alpine,TX and tent camp at Lost Alaskan RV park and make a day trip down into Big Bend. I think a day there will be long enough. Then a day around Marfa and Fort Davis area before heading home. The links below should work once I get moving in the morning. Towing the Hannigan and taking the Redvertz tent this time. The Rollahome is too long to park at the hotel in a regular car parking spot. Besides, the Hannigan tows like a dream on the 3 Sisters between SA and Alpine :-)
    The Rollahome.... no so good :-)
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Re: Headed for San Antonio and Big Bend NP

Have a good trip
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Hope you post a report on your trip and that tent. The Atacama i bought awhile back is still in the box waiting for warmer weather. Also interested in that Alpine CG. Thanks
    2012 Harley Limited

(Threadstarter)

Made it to CG south of Llano, Tx and then into Fredericksburg for dinner. Drove by Enchanted Rock. Bluebonnets aren't too great now. Saw some nice patches but think I'm a little late for this year. Would post some pics but haven't had any luck doing that on this site recently. I do have some on GL1800Riders.com. Drive into San Antonio tomorrow. Forecast is for rain the day I leave SA for Big Bend. Hope no storms. It is that time of the year. I like the tent ok. It takes a little to get it set up. My Wing is too big to park in it if I wanted to. Great area though for tossing all your gear. I have used it quite a bit. I took it on a 2 week trip to Oregon/Washington in 2014 and to Nova Scotia and PEI in 2015. On bigger trips I will take the Rollahome. That's what I took to Banff/Jasper Alberta last year and my wife and I will take it there again this year the last of June. Such a beautiful place.

Make sure to ride the loop out of fort Davis its about 65 miles but some very nice twists and views we are going camping down to Seminole canyon over Easter weekend there is also Lang tree Texas Home of Roy Bean Not sure how much time you have but there is also the Marfia lights
    have a great

not time for Bluebonnettes just yet.. almost... Headed to Bend in mid may.. hope the desert is in bloom. plenty of rain this winter.
    2015 Rt Spyder 93 Electra Glide
    08 Aspen Classic
    Who ever said The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
    Never ran out of Ink Save your 2nd Amendment Rights

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    not time for Bluebonnettes just yet.. almost... Headed to Bend in mid may.. hope the desert is in bloom. plenty of rain this winter.
    You may be right. Owner of the campground just south of Llano said they were getting there second bloom already. I had heard the big bloom was much earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
    You may be right. Owner of the campground just south of Llano said they were getting there second bloom already. I had heard the big bloom was much earlier this year.
    If you run into any trouble while in the Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis area let me know I am in that area. Here or at rctxan@yahoo.com

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by rctxan View Post
    If you run into any trouble while in the Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis area let me know I am in that area. Here or at rctxan@yahoo.com
    Thank you. I appreciate the offer. Still in Marriott in SA. I do plan to head toward Big Bend/Alpine early in the morning unless weather looks worse than what it sounds like now. If still looks rainy or stormy, likely try to find a "cheap" motel around Alpine rather than pitch the tent at Lost Alaskan RV.