Thread: Hungry Mother State Park Campground- Marion Va.

Hungry Mother State Park Campground- Marion Va.

Located on Hwy.16(Back of the Dragon) 7mi west of Marion Va.(exit 47 I-81).
    Hungry Mother SP amenities incl. a lake w/swimming beach, fishing, boating(rentals available), Restaurant(seasonal), visitors center, 1&2 bedroom cabin rentals, hiking trails, horse trails and stalls, campsites run from primitive to Cl A motorhomes. Open year round.

During our stay 3/31-4/2/17 in the 'Creekside area', we found the campground lots(some reserved)very clean, neat, level and paved. This was a small trailer/tent area(approx. 30 sites) w/hook-ups to include elec./water or elec./water/sewer. Facilities include bathhouse w/separate shower area, (2)washer/dryers($), ice machine($), vending machines($), indoor/outdoor slop sinks, firewood available($), and onsite camp hosts. 1 of our group stayed in a 1BR cabin, which was very nice and offered a full kitchen, living room w/fireplace, bedroom and full bath. Being a SP there are fees for everything- not inexpensive- but the money appears to be put to good use. Lots of great motorcycle roads in the area and in the off season, little to no traffic. B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170401_093922_001[1].jpg  

Re: Hungry Mother State Park Campground- Marion Va.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20131015_001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	20876 Spent a night there a few years back on my way to a NASCAR race at Talladega. Nice campground and great riding in the area.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Never stayed there, but Gary Gene and I rode past there on SR 16, which is very twisty coming down from the north.

We ended up staying at a nearby Nat Forest campground, just outside of Sugar Grove, called Raccoon Branch.
    Great area for riding!!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Fabricator and I are probably headed that direction for a long weekend next weekend.

we spent a night there in 81, nice park.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    we spent a night there in 81, nice park.
    You were there in 1981? ... ... Cripes Gary, that was 36 years ago ... Makes ya feel kinda old, doesn't it ? ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    You were there in 1981? ... ... Cripes Gary, that was 36 years ago ... Makes ya feel kinda old, doesn't it ? ...
    Yep, I am old. First time down the BRP was in 74 if I remember right. They didn't even have the bridge in around grandfather mountain yet, it was a big detour around the part not done.

I've ridden 16 a couple times for different reasons. Use to visit someone in Marion, VA few years ago, visited HMSP but never camped there.

When I used to teach Astronomy I would the show the movie "October Sky" (came out in 1999) to each class. Movie was based on book "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam who grew up in Coalwood, WV which is just off 16 going north before you get to Welch, WV. He has written several other books. All of them are good reads, in particular for us older folks who grew up in the 50's and 60's. You can google and find all you want about Homer. He later went on to work at NASA working as a SCUBA diver training astronauts in giant tanks.

I rode up threw and around Coalwood several years ago checking out some of the sites portrayed in the movie.
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

Nice info all you guys who shared, I know have to put it on my list of go to places! Thanks again for sharing. Ride Safe.

(Threadstarter)

Here's a link to some riding ideas when in the area. Lots of history and unique stops(roadside America) along the way. B.
    www.appalachianbackroads.com