Thread: Trip to Mount Rushmore June 25th

Trip to Mount Rushmore June 25th

Wife and I are planning a trip from Northern Ontario to Mount Rushmore around June 25th.

We will be camping and if anybody wants to join up, camp, and do a couple days of riding while there......would be fun.

--
    Gordon

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Trip to Mount Rushmore June 25th

How long/what dates are you hanging around there and if known, what campground?
    I'm supposed to be hooking up with Beemer Brad again for another tour and we'll be meeting up probably at Comanche Park Campground, which is roughly 6 mi SW of Custer, in early July
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Make sure you include Crazy Horse and Devil's Tower
    while visiting Mount Rushmore.
    Great area for riding and camping.

Also include Iron Mountain, Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon. Keystone and Hill City are good touristy towns and there is a fish hatchery museum in Spearfish that is very interesting, if you like that kind of stuff!

Dan
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15477&dateline=146341  4148

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

You can easily spend a full week in a good centrally located campground and still not see everything there is to see/ride in the area.
    I have stayed in the Black Hills area about 5/6 times, for anywhere from 1 - 5 nights and still haven't seen it all, which is why I am stopping back there for 3-4 nights this year again, on my way out to Vancouver Island and for 1 night on my way back.

Here is an excellent planning resource for the Black Hills Region

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    You can easily spend a full week in a good centrally located campground and still not see everything there is to see/ride in the area.
    I have stayed in the Black Hills area about 5/6 times, for anywhere from 1 - 5 nights and still haven't seen it all, which is why I am stopping back there for 3-4 nights this year again, on my way out to Vancouver Island and for 1 night on my way back.

Here is an excellent planning resource for the Black Hills Region

So true! My first (and only, so far) trip to the Black Hills was fantastic! I was there for 3 weeks, camped at Beaver Lake outside of Custer. With a few down days, I had to order and replace a speed sensor in my VTX, I still rode over 2,000 miles and wanted to stay longer but was running out of money and they had my campsite rented. I'm hoping to go back either this year or in 2018.

Oh and the back road from Keystone to Hill City (I believe its Old Hill City Rd.) is a great scenic road that crosses the RR tracks several times.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Wife and I are planning a trip from Northern Ontario to Mount Rushmore around June 25th.

We will be camping and if anybody wants to join up, camp, and do a couple days of riding while there......would be fun.

--
    Gordon
    The town of Spearfish has a very nice city park with clean showers. Little stream running down the west side.
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

I have stayed at kemps kamp a couple times, located on the old hill city road just out of keystone. Planning a trip to the hills with oldest son and grandkids this summer.
    Thinking of a second trip with yungest son on the bikes would be are 4th time.

Danny

The Black Hills area is a fun ride. We have been there many times but it's always been just one night. We keep saying we need to make it a destination but my inlaws live in on the east side of the state so we are always coming or going. This summer I believe I will be in the area with a couple riding buddy's after doing an Ironbutt ride around Lake superior on June 24th. I think it will be about the end of June when we pass thru on the way to Colorado.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers