Thread: Weekend Trip to Illinois

Weekend Trip to Illinois

Hey Guys
    Here are a few pics from a trip I took from Ohio to Danville, Illinois last fall to visit my sister.
    The town has some really nice murals. It was great to see family and really fun to ride the bike out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180ae2c7-d340-4dbf-9336-2c8920126201.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	366.0 KB 
ID:	20849

Name:	DSC00597.jpg 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	20850

Name:	DSC00596.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	20851

Name:	DSC00595.jpg 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	20852

Name:	DSC00591.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	20853

Name:	DSC00590.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	20854

Name:	e4097ff8-22fd-4fe1-b4f4-5833a38352f8.jpg 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	20857

Name:	2eec976a-6c94-4716-b5a0-750259a202d8.jpg 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	20858

Re: Weekend Trip to Illinois

Nice art work.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Aloha, Dale! Thanks for sharing this.

I have been on about 10 trips from central Ohio to Bloomington, IL, and I always seemed to stop in Danville for fuel, restroom, coffee, something. Nice little town. Never "toured" it and didn't know about the murals.

I'm not a fan of riding around Indianapolis on a bike (in order to get on I-74 into Illinois) as I think that particular beltway is dangerous, but it's been a necessary evil for the sake of time. I always took highways. It appears from your photos you may have taken back roads. Good for you! My touring these days consistes more of the Honda 500 Interstate than the 1200 Triumph, so I am forced to seek out back roads to keep the bike at 55 mph or less. It's been a blessing. The Triumph is so comfortable at 75 mph that it's a great interstate highway bike. The Honda demands a more leisurely path. And I have really enjoyed that.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Traffic on I-465 around Indy is tough. Maybe more dangerous - the potholes. To make it more interesting the state is currently changing SR 37 south of Indy into I-69 which will intersect with I-465 on the south side. More traffic. The state also estimates it needs somewhere in the ballpark of $12 billion more for roads & bridges. Of course the answer is changing all interstates into toll roads. Rode the new I-69 south from Bloomington to Evansville for the first time. Problem is the Ohio River - no bridge. Guess you can't think of everything.

Than you hit Kentucky. Very few potholes & nicely maintained roads.

That's the truth about the potholes and Kentucky roads being amazingly good. I drive/ride I-75 a bit from Ohio to Florida and back, the the best roads seem to be in Kentucky. Go figure. 3 lanes each direction, extremely well maintained. I used to always stop and camp at the Corbin KOA in Southern Kentucky and then on to the KOA in Forstyth KOA south of Atlanta when I was into KOA sites. I've moved on from there over the years. I like to find Mom and Pop or Motorcycle campsites or State Parks these days. The only highway I had an issue with in Kentucky was I-71 from Ohio to Louisville after it branches off from I-75. I've hit bad potholes on that stretch of highway from time to time, and that's unusual for Kentucky. But the rest of the state is as smooth cruise.

I used to think the Columbus Beltway was a bit dicey for motorcycle riding, but it's a walk in the park (in my opinion of course) to the Indy Beltway. I hit a pothole so drastic about 15 years ago on that Indy Beltway that I had to replace two of my tires immediately after. Automobile, not motorcycle. Thank goodness I was not on a bike.

(Threadstarter)

I-465 around Indy is not fun, I drove that way many times going to my sisters.
    I always take country roads as much as I can.
    I would not go that way on my bike, but I hate most interstates in the east.
    The worst time I ever had was I-75 south from Detroit to Toledo, Ohio that was scary and NEVER again.
    SR 30 across the center of Ohio is a good way to head west into Indiana.

For sure, Dale, I-75 / I-70 are my two least favorite highways in Ohio. When I go to Florida, I typically take I-77. Much more scenic (especially through West Virginia) and less traffic in general than I-75.

I really do like SR 30. Nice ride through Ohio and Indiana. Through and West of Ft. Wayne it can get a bit dicey until you get through the traffic and multiple lights and little towns, but nothing as rough as some Interstate Highway travel. I actually ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere on SR30 about 10 years ago. I was enroute from South Haven, MI to Ohio and took SR30. My Triumph at the time was having issues with fuel flow and the reserve valve was "iffy". The bike started sputtering and I switched on RESERVE and it did nothing. BLIND LUCK, the next exit was only 1/2 mile away. I sputtered on the berm at 30 mph or so, up the ramp, and the bike quit at the top. Down the access road about 100 yards (downhill so I could coast) was a BP. As you know, not all exits on SR30 have gas sttions. I coasted up to the pump smiling like a kid at Christmas. Thanked my lucky stars, and rode the bike directly to my Triumph dealer when I got home to fix that valve. Even when fixed, that Triumph only had about 15-20 miles on reserve so you better be looking for a station immediately. Not having a reserve on a bike with no fuel gauge is tricky. My Honda is just the opposite. The Reserve straw is too long and my bike runs out of regular gas flow way too early. I have about 60-70 miles or so left on reserve. I've been too lazy to drain the tank and cut that straw down to put about 40 more miles draw from the regular fuel straw. I just know if I run out of gas in the Honda, I have PLENTY of miles left to find a gas station.

If you are not in a hurry and want to bypass Indianapolis this is the way I go.. Not too bad and roads are pretty good too.

Name:	indy.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	20859
    Gene
    1996 GL1500 SE, 2003 Aspen. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
    Life Is What You Make Of It; Please Make It Fun It Doesn’t Last Long.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

TropicalDale, it looks like you had a pretty nice trip! Thanks for posting a few photos of Danville IL. Even tho I live in southern Illinois I have never been to Danville. I didn't know they had several murals around town. I always enjoy murals!! In looking at the photos I noticed in one of the murals had been done by the Wall Dogs. The Wall Dogs also did all of the murals in Marshall Illinois.

Last year the wife and I did a weekend ride of the old National Road in Illinois starting at the Illinois/Indiana border. Next time you are headed to Illinois maybe check out the historic National Road/US40. Lots to see along this route. If you are interested here is a link to the ride report I posted about the Old National Road in Illinois with lots of photos and details.

[URL="http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?11580-Murals-History-and-Really-BIG-Things-in-Illinois&highlight="]

Roger

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S