Thread: Zero degree bag

Zero degree bag

I just received a hike and bike summit zero degree down bag. The zipper was stuck from out of the box. Tried repeatedly without success. Going to return it. I have two nice 2 season bags, My thought now is to use two 40/20 bags. One as a mummy and the other laid flat on top. I will use them in my Minimate on top of a thick full size therma-rest. No problem to carry a second bag. I also carry a wool army blanket and a thermal reflection blanket. I wear high tech base undershirt and under short. Not going to try to heat up the camper unless I have power, then I will use a little ceramic heater. Any suggestions, experience, or even unsupported opinions.?
    KISS

Re: Zero degree bag

I have used two bags with some success. Have to be careful not to compress down or it will lose it's ability to insulate. I don't know the R factor of your pad but if it's not high enough put the thermal blanket down then your mat on top of that. You can use the wool either over or under the pad for additional insulation if it is big enough lay on it then flip it over top of you then adjust the sleeping bags.

Wool blanket is a great choice. Mine has saved my butt from being cold more than once.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

The cold (and hot) seeps up through the raised bed platform on my Time Out Deluxe. In 2016 I put a wool blanked on it, then the air mattress, then a thick mattress pad and fitted sheet. That worked ok until it got really cold or really hot.

Of course the tent material doesn't do a heck of a lot to insulate anyway.

Towards the end of 2016 I got a reflective insulated "blanket" and started putting that down first, then the wool blanket. Made a world of difference. I'll continue to mix and match in 2017 and see what works best.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks, I'm going to try this out this June in Alaska and July in Florida.

Having spent some below freezing nights in that camper, I found the insulated Thermarest to be great for underneath. I've said before that in colder weather that camper has "raining inside" style condensation issues if you don't have a heater in it. You have that new canvas. I think you should make the effort to have electric on those cool evenings. I hope this helps.

Richard

Sorry to hear about that bag, they look great and had good reviews..

I haven't packed a sleeping bag in the trailer since the first time I ever packet one.

Now I am, but for fast camping with the tent cot. In warm weather I won't need it, but when its cooler I will.

Got this at Amazon. Its a good bag, not terribly expensive, packs very small. Good to about freezing, lower with a good pad under it and a wool blanket over it. I pack the tent cot in its bag on top of the roof bag that is on my trailer. In a large dry bag satchel I put the sleeping bag, small pillow, pad. Sit that on top of the tent cot bag, strap it all down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Snowclem, I will use a little electric heater when available, and have an enclosed camping candle to dry out the inside in remote areas.
    Name. The summit bag is exactly what you want in a ultra light weight bag . The zipper is a issue of concern and they are trying to improve the action.
    Privateer, I'm going to use two 20 degree bags, wool army blanket, reflective blanket and a thick therma-rest mattress. Mix and match as needed.

John your set up should be fine for your trip north.
    For decades of tent camping up here I used a 20 degree bag up to the end of August with a Themarest. For fall caming, it's a -5 bag. Since getting the RAH I have switched to a 30 degree bag an a fleece blanket if needed, if its hot I just lay on the bag and cover up with the blanket. With the RAH standard the bed is over the cargo area so I don't get the cold from below. I just have a layer of carpet and a 2-3 inch self inflating pad I got from Costco. I have tried my candle lantern that worked well in my tents but with the larger volume of camper I have started using a small propane lantern in the cold mornings to take the chill off before getting out of my fart sack.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870