Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ordered Redverz today

Re: Ordered Redverz today

I had the opportunity to yesterday south of Llano, Tx.. I only had the stakes that came with the tent. I tried to setup behind a small grove of trees and my Wing and Hannigan for shelter. Wind still pulled out the stakes and lifted it up. I used ever stake and every tie down last night plus two extra tidowns I had for the awning and used those on the wind side and tied to several small bushes. I don't think this tent is really designed for much wind. Especially if it happens to come from the side. It's a job putting it up yourself in the wind for sure.
    My 2 cents
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Thanks for your review!!

Just wondering if you tried setting it up by yourself with the small vestibule end pegged down and facing towards the direction of the wind and insert the remaining poles and then pull the tent forward, taut ???

How was inside condensation?
    Dusty, That's how I set it up, per the instructions on the web site. At home, in 5 MPH wind, it works fine, but in 30 MPH, it's just to big of a sail to handle easily.

Condensation wasn't too bad. Frost was heavy on the roof!

John
    '08. GL1800
    '06. ST1300

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Ya, that's the problem. The larger the tent ..... the larger the sail!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

John, was wondering if the instructions you got from the website were from this video.
    https://youtu.be/Q0RlXKwdPVY
    2012 Harley Limited

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by txrider View Post
    John, was wondering if the instructions you got from the website were from this video.
    https://youtu.be/Q0RlXKwdPVY
    No, I hadn't seen that video. I watched a video on the Redverz web site that show to put all 3 poles in the sleeves and pull it all up at once. The ground was hard where I set mine up, so I didn't have any problems with the original stakes pulling out. I am going to switch to the stakes that look like large nails, as they go through the tent loops, easier. I'll be using it again at TWO in Suches, the last weekend of this month. It packs easier by stuffing, than by rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
    Well, I decided to get a larger tent, one that I could stand up in and have plenty of room to get in and out of bed, without crawling around on the ground. After much research, I decided on the Redverz Atacama. It's way larger than I need, but I honestly couldn't find a tent, where I could walk into without stooping, and I wanted one where I could sit in a full size chair. The tent is actually a big fly, with the sleeping section strapped to the inside of the fly. The sleeping section can be totally removed and the tent can be used just as a large rain fly. I purchased the optional ground cloth for the sleeping area because I knew that I needed a ground cloth, and this one clips onto the bottom of the tent and rolls up with the tent. The packed size isn't too bad for a tent of this size. Packed size is 9" x 21" and weighs around 15 lbs. There are only 3 poles, and they're all inserted into sleeves while the tent is laying flat. With the poles in place, and one end of the tent staked down, you pull on the opposite end and the whole thing stands up. Two more stakes in that end, and it's up. It takes a few more stakes and some guy lines to secure it against winds, but I believe it's fairly easy to set up, considering the size.

Without any help, I was able to set it up the first time in 14 minutes. This included figuring out that the entire tent was upside down after I unrolled it. The sleeves are color coded for the correct poles. Taking it down was only 15 minutes to get it packed away in the included stuff bag. I think that the next time will only take 10 minutes, or less, for up or down. It took a couple of tries to figure out how it needed to be rolled up, to fit in the bag.

I started to video the setup and takedown, but figured I might screw up and waste 45 minutes of everyone's time watching, if it didn't go right. There are plenty of videos of the setup on YouTube. Just search for Redverz

I purchased it, directly from Redverz, in Denver, with a simple phone call to Christine. I started the call asking if it was every discounted or went on sale and was told that the best she could do is throw in the ground cloth ($49) for the sleeping area and free UPS shipping. I also bought the awning kit, which is just 2 poles and a couple of guy lines that hold the garage door up, for additional shade area. I didn't put up the awning today, since it is threatening rain and I was in a hurry go get it down and packed away.

The next sunny day, I'll practice setting it up again, with a video.

John

Attachment 20569

Attachment 20570

Attachment 20571

Attachment 20572

Attachment 20573
    I to purchased the same tent and even though I had doubts about solo set up me also having health issues-I to was able to get it set up solo in about 15 minutes the first time. I purchased the two ground covers (sleeping & garage) and have enjoyed the room and not crawling around on my old knees and bad hips. I do pull a Bushtec trailer behind my GL1800 and like you mentioned small pack size for such a large tent. I can still pack my Coleman stove and all my other essentials. Money saved from hotel-motels has paid for it already.
    Ride Safe.

(Threadstarter)

Reviving this thread, after a few more camping trips with this tent. I'm still pleased with the tent's design and quality and I'm still amazed at the difference in comfort, with all the added space it provides. It has gotten much easier to set up, after using it a few times and finding a method to make it easier. The trick that I've found is in how you fold/pack the tent. I use a Bilt Explorer dry bag instead of the included storage bag, which makes it easier to pack. When rolling up the tent for storage, start at the vestibule/garage end and roll it toward the sleeping end. When setting up, don't unroll it first! Unroll it just enough to be able to put the two stakes in the end loops of the sleeping area. Then when you do unroll the rest of the tent, one end is anchored and you can stretch out the tent, without it moving or blowing around. Replace the original pegs with the type that look like large nails. They go through the loops much easier, and being longer, will hold much better. When setting up, stick some pegs in your back pocket, so that when you pull the tent up, you have them handy. I've found that the most time consuming step is folding/unfolding the poles, due to the long lengths of the poles. I'm pretty sure I'm down to under 10 minutes in setup time, after doing it several times. I've run across a few campers that were still setting up a 3 person dome tent, after I was already finished. Having the ground cloth and fly already attached to the Redverz really makes a difference. I'm a happy camper!

John

I have a Redverz Tent — Series II Expedition, best tent I have ever owned. Setup is easy and one person can do it. I haven't done it yet in high winds so that is still unknown to me although from the video posted I believe I can do it. I also have the ground mats and recommend them too.

I have been using the different iterations of the Redverz tent as they come out, never had a problem though, even with sustained of 60 mph and gusts up to 75mph. As long as you setup with the low end of the sleeping area into the wind (Per instructions) it goes up easy even in the wind. You are correct Nashcat about staking out the front two stakes first and rolling it out, comes with practice....grin.

Just Bob