Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nemo Wagontop 4 Person Tent

Nemo Wagontop 4 Person Tent

Did it again, got a new tent. After riding the storm out ( wind and many hours of heavy rain ) I decided to retire the REI Habitat 4. After 5 years it was time as the Habitat was starting to come apart once again down on the corners. I spotted this Nemo tent over a year ago. A 4 person, single wall (no rain fly), with a very unusual external frame system. Easy up and easy down. Takes up less space then the REI tent. Simply lay the tent out and stake the corners. Set up the 2 pole structures each consisting of multiple Bungee corded pole sections insert them in the corners an pull up the tent hooking them to the frame as you walk around the tent. The tent stands 6 ft. 8 in. on the inside and the floor covers 100 X 100 inches inside. An easy to attach vestibule simply cliché in place by buckles around the inside of the entrance.

Shopping around on line I could not find this tent for less than $499.00. Too much for me but I kept looking. Started looking at the side adds on Amazon and got lucky finding the last one in stock for $344.00 no tax saving me over $160.00. Being that my REI tent was coming apart again and was bought before they changed the return policy REI offered me full money back in store credit because the Habitat was no longer available and were unable to replace with another. REI does carry the Nemo Wagontop 4 but as everyone else had it was priced at $499 so I took the store credit.

[URL=http://s33.photobucket.com/user/ownst1100/media/DSC07416_zpshej5klsf.jpg.html]

So far I am more than pleased with this tent. BIG windows on each side and 2 screened vents up high on each end of the tent one of which can be closed off. The frame for this tent is very very stout and I'm sure will do very well if the weather decides to throw some wind my way. There is an available Garage that has the same floor dimensions as the tent doubling the tent. At some point in time I will decide if I need or just have to have it. You want BIGGER? The wagon top tent is available in 4,6,and 8 person configurations.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Nemo Wagontop 4 Person Tent

Great looking tent Keith! I'll be looking forward to seeing how the single wall does in the rain after you've had it a while. I always thought I wanted a single wall tent as it was one less step. I hardly ever pitch mine without the rainfly but people talked me out of it, probably because of the price. I followed your lead years ago with the Mountain Hardware Lightwedge 3 and it's still holding up great! I had the same issue you had with a pole splitting out a couple of times but as you know it was repaired free of charge with their lifetime warrenty. I think with mine it had a lot to do with me picking it up and shaking the dirt out of it by the poles. Live and learn!

Great pics, Salton Sea?
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

I've got a friend who has been using a single wall Nemo tent for years now and has nothing but good things to say about it. Was pleased when I bought mine. Here in SoCal I have only been caught in the rain a few times and have alway's survived. I too am curious how it will hold up. What I got back from REI I came out a few dollars ahead with the Nemo. Even after getting the Nemo footprint for the tent. The Wedge 3 I still have and used it just a couple of months ago when I did a trip without the trailer. Still a great tent. Was nice to get back to basics again camping from the bike. Since that trip I have done another only using my Big Agnes tent that time. I don't have the REI warranty anymore but do have one from Nemo on there tent. Probably not as good as REI's but there is one there. Parts are available as well as repairs.

Salton Sea? YES, my favorite place this time of year. That was last weekend and I plan on being there again this coming weekend.

(Threadstarter)

Back to the Salton Sea last weekend to put a few more hours on the new tent.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Glad to hear it's working out for ya, it's a great looking tent! I traded my Coleman 10x10 foot tent that I used when I went to rallies for a four person Coleman that a buddy had and only used a couple of times. Haven't tried it yet but should be easier to set up by myself. The fly on this one covers three sides and I can stand up in it if stooped over a bit if I'm remembering correctly.

Great pics as always from the Salton Sea! Have fun this weekend, we are supposed to get snow Saturday, it's almost 70 right now!

1967. The last time I was at the Salton Sea. Looks better now.

Keith,
    Nice tent. I see you have a Goal Zero light, seems nice and bright, what are you using to power it?
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Keith,
    Nice tent. I see you have a Goal Zero light, seems nice and bright, what are you using to power it?
    Goal Zero light works GREAT, puts out a lot of light. I run it on a small 12V battery out of an electric wheelchair. It has never failed me yet. I use it with the Goal Zero light, my Bose speaker. charging my cell phone, and tablet. Even after 3-4 days of camping it still has something left.

NICE TENT! Too rich for my penny-pinching blood, but what a beauty. I'd love the height.

I have been camping for decades with cheap K-Mart tents. Had my last one (3 person I bought on sale for $19.99 back in 2006) for about 10 years that's 2 bucks a year. Just upgraded to a 4 person raised wall dome that they had on closeout for $39.00. Hopefully it will last another 10 years at 4 bucks a year. It's 9 x 9' but only has a 5' center height, so no where near as tall as yours. But for the bargain basement price, I'm happy;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161102_153441.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	20741
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Goal Zero light works GREAT, puts out a lot of light. I run it on a small 12V battery out of an electric wheelchair. It has never failed me yet. I use it with the Goal Zero light, my Bose speaker. charging my cell phone, and tablet. Even after 3-4 days of camping it still has something left.

Ok, ya that would work fine. I use the 22AH version of that battery for similar items plus my C-pap and I get a weekend out of it too.