Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping to Glamping...

Camping to Glamping... FULL Big Agnes Red Canyon 4 review w/pics

Been a while since I've checked in, so I thought I would.

I've been running the Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 for four years now. The Rainfly is finally showing it's age.
    Recently had one of the 'windows' on the rainfly door tear at the seam. It's been patched and has worked since,
    but as time continues to wear on me I've decided I need to "Glamp" a little more, so I started looking at
    'stand up' 4 man tents...

The Vertex 4 in action:

So I began looking, and reading, and researching, and decided to spend some coin, and went with a Big Agnes.

The Big Agnes Red Canyon 4 MtnGLO is what I ended up buying...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_agnes-red-canyon-4-mtnglo-13.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	20465

TENT REVIEW ON PAGE 2

With a Full retail of $699.00, a closeout deal at Campsaver.com got the (last) Tent/GoalZero Power/light kit and footprint for $470 shipped.
    It's pricey, and it's big, but will most likely be my home away from home for the foreseeable future.

*Necessary Features:

68" Ceiling Height... At 6'5" tall, I'm hunched over a little, but still standing!!
    96" Floor width: Once again, I need that length to keep my head and feet from hitting tent walls. More so with the leisure lite cot.
    2 Doors/2 Vestibules: It's nice to have that outside storage 'shed' for the dry bag and rain gear.
    Storage compartments: The tent floor gets a bit 'whacky-noo-noo' after a few days. I like organization.
    1500 mm waterproof polyurethane coating on Fly and Floor.

Other features/concerns:

+ Built in lighting in the tent.... 7w solar panel, and USB charger integrated. Even has a light and a fan!! Woot!
    - Longer set up time. Bigger tents usually take a bit more work.
    - Pack size: This comes with a "carry case", but it's a whonkin' 24"x15"x5" suitcase style case... not going to cut it.
    The old Vertex 4 ed-ja-ma-cated me on tent packing, and I think the best route to go is with 2 compression bags.
    This keeps the tent and (wet)fly separate, and get's the pack size down a bit more. I don't trailer, so I may have to get creative.
    It'll work though!

Once I get the chance to set this up, I'll give y'all some pics... right now we're under a tornado warning, so I might have to wait.
    ---2006 Kawasaki Concours---

Re: Camping to Glamping...

That is a great looking tent...and even at a little more expense, the comfort of added headroom and reputation of the equipment make the added investment worth the cost. Wish I had one.

Hard to make a mistake with Big Agnes. You're going to be sleeping great, regardless of the weather or rain coming down.
    What problems

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Looking forward to your review! All the research I've done when tent shopping tells me they are well worth the extra coin.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Anything Big Agnes makes is likely to be good. Excellent choice!
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    Anything Big Agnes makes is likely to be good. Excellent choice!
    Hey JR! You'll likely see it at a future COG Rally!

I've also read nothing but good things about Big Agnes, so a little extra $$$ wasn't a big deal. A pretty good deal actually.
    I really enjoy Moto-camping, I've met some really great people camping... I also like that popular question, "You rode your
    motorcycle all the way from Florida?" Investing a little extra at this point should give a good ROI.

The Alps Vertex 4 was a great 1st tent, and I'll keep it for overnighters and the like. The patch is holding up well.
    You may notice there aren't any windows in the Big Agnes' rainfly... They (and now I) know better. That's one thing I can
    recommend against for longevity. We live and learn.

I'm working this week, so expect some more information over the weekend, when I get to set this bad boy up, tear it down,
    and figger out how I'll 'integrate it' into the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieCamper View Post
    Hey JR! You'll likely see it at a future COG Rally! ... I also like that popular question, "You rode your
    motorcycle all the way from Florida?"
    Definitely do a couple trial runs with that tent, I agree. I actually did two with my tent cot, because the way I use it (fast camping) I often set it up near to or just after dark, in the light of the headlights.

And when I go to the Bun Cooler in May, it will be Florida to Cliff's (AR) to Monterey to Kamiah ID so one heck of a long way. Then ID to Monterey to the National.

go cheaper and you will never notice the difference
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

(Threadstarter)

I'll get the set-up, pack down, and load-up down to a science in the yard. First 'run' is to Run with the Bullfrogs in March.

I'm going to size up the compression sacks for the tent and fly this weekend... Waterproof for the tent. The fly will get bagged,
    it's always wet when it comes off the tent in the morning. Only other concern for packing is the folded length of the poles...
    I'm thinkin' about 22-23", which will fit in the dry bag. Iffin' I can't get this to fit in the drybag with the sleeping bag, I'll have to
    re-invent the pack yet again. It WILL work.... oh yes, it will work... Car tent on a modersickle... yeee hawww!

(I'm glad I've been upgrading other things that have made more room overall... Last three trips, no tank bag... room to spare.)

yaaaay connie!

What are you using (if anything) to haul your gear on the connie?
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646