Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cave-in-Rock State Park campground

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Tent Cave-in-Rock State Park campground

Since it is winter time and not much is going on, I thought about putting together a campground review.

Cave-in-Rock State Park
    1 New State Park Rd.
    Cave-in-Rock, Illinois

N: 37.469
    W: -88.159
    https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/P...aveInRock.aspx

Phone: 618-289-4325

A few years ago I camped here while on a weekend dual sport ride. I pitched a tent in the primitive tent sites area. This is nice campground (CG) clean and quiet. Nice smooth paved roads into the main CG, with smooth gravel roads into the primitive section of the CG. The main CG camp sites are nicely spaced apart. The primitive sites are spaced maybe a little further apart with trees and vegetation in between for some seclusion. All camp sites have picnic tables and grills. The CG has one main shower house. I found it very clean with ample hot water. There are two other restrooms W/O showers located in the CG. According to the website there are 34 Class A sites with electricity for $20 per night and $30 per night on the holidays. There are 25 tent sites for $10 per night.

The location of the CG is in close walking distance to main attraction, the cave of Cave-in-Rock. The park itself is on a bluff overlooking the Ohio river. There are some nice places to sit and enjoy the view of the river or have a picnic lunch. If you are not into picnics there is a small restaurant at the lodge in the park but, it tends to fill up fast on the weekends around noon. Other places to eat would be the two restaurants located in town. Not much else in town. No gas stations or grocery stores. Closest convenience/gas is about 2.5 miles north. Cave in Rock is also the location of the ferry that crosses the Ohio River into Kentucky.

If you like catfish, take a short 10 mile ride to the floating E-Town River restaurant in Elizabethtown IL. This unique restaurant floats on the Ohio River!! To get there go the scenic route. Take West Clay St. west out of Cave in Rock, West Clay turns into Cave in Rock Road which then turns into Tower Rock Road. Turn left when you come to IL route 146 following it on into E-Town as the locals call it. The restaurant is next to the historic River Rose Inn B&B.

Lots of history and things to see around Cave in Rock Illinois.

I give it

If interested here is the link to my trip report that relates to this CG review.
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...-Ride-and-Camp

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Re: Cave-in-Rock State Park campground

Thanks for this. This is relatively close, and looks great. Definitely going to be my 2017 season opener.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Been there quite often, great roads for scenery.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Great area. I have ate at the catfish place. Stayed at the Rose Hotel, across the street from Rose Inn.

Ate at the Cave in the Rock, park café, good food. Ate in town, rode the ferry many times. I like the
    area a lot. Some one should have a campout there some time....

Front porch of Rose Hotel The catfish place is in the center where the blue is...inside seating and outdoor seating.

Video of my brother and I crossing the Ohio River on the free ferry.. click on the pic

Buttset from Mo.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650
    (Threadstarter)

" Some one should have a campout there some time...."

Hmmm..........now there is an idea!

I have always thought I would like to put together a camp out. My trouble with planing something like this is timing. Seems like now-days, I have more on my plate of things to do and get done than I have weekends and time for! Maybe getting married back in July 2016 has something to do with that??! Like that list of honey-dos!

Nice review, mcrider. I didn't know this park existed.... at least my MEMORY of this park is not there. I will put it on the list.

Thanks.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

The Cave at Cave in the Rock St. Park

Was used in the movie " How the West was Won." Jimmy Stewart 1962.

They were going to throw him into the Wildcat Pit and take his furs. LOL

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...ave_in_Rock_IL

Some of you ask your granddad if he remembers that movie...

I have been going to this area for a few years. I go to the Sturgis Ky. Rally. Stay in E town, Rose Hotel.
    Taking the ferry over to Ky. E town in 10 miles west of Cave in the Rock. Lot of bicycle riders take the ferry too.
    Met two men, on bicycles, each had small trailer. Asked where they started? Washington St. Going to Key West.

Us older folks don't like the steps so we go in to the cave from down river along the work road they made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0208.jpg   2014-09-06 15.00.02.jpg   2014-09-06 14.59.37.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by buttset View Post
    Great area. I have ate at the catfish place. Stayed at the Rose Hotel, across the street from Rose Inn.

Ate at the Cave in the Rock, park café, good food. Ate in town, rode the ferry many times. I like the
    area a lot. Some one should have a campout there some time....

Front porch of Rose Hotel The catfish place is in the center where the blue is...inside seating and outdoor seating.

Video of my brother and I crossing the Ohio River on the free ferry.. click on the pic

Buttset from Mo.
    Great little video...really liked the ferry ride over from Kentucky and back...as well as the SP...go on down to Metropolis and visit the HUGE statue of Superman....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike Ride to Illinois 017.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	20222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike Ride to Illinois 021.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	20223

HarleyJack

When went to Patti's last year we did a Saturday ride I put together , up 62 and crossed the river at Cave in Rock Ferry and circled around to Garden of the Gods and back to Superman and down to the murals in Paducah before going to Patti's .. We go to Patti's several times a year and anytime we go and there is someone in the group who has never been , we always go to Garden of the Gods and Superman , thats every trip ..

My main riding partner for the past thirty years passed away the day after my birthday in September and we will be taking some of his ashes to Garden of the Gods this year ..
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra