Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok midnight and a Storm hits the campground!

Re: Ok midnight and a Storm hits the campground!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    Other than the upper corners of the dressing area where would you attach a tie-down to your camper?
    My TimeOut has several grommets along the roof line on each side.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Only happened to me once, and just this last Summer.

Went Glamping (with the car and a huge LL Bean Cabin Tent from 1980 with all the comforts of home - it would probably sleep 8 comfortably and 10 in a squeeze, so by myself it's the Taj Mahal). The tent is typical cabin construction with many aluminum poles for good lightning conducting. About 11 PM I'm relaxing and watching TV in the tent (I told you, I was Glamping), and the news broadcasts an urgent SEVERE Thunderstorm alert. About 30 minutes later all heck broke loose. I bolted to the car and hung out in there for about three hours until the storm passed. The tent survived.

I've never been in severe thunderstorms while moto-camping, only while riding. I suppose if I do get caught in one (and it's just a matter of time) I just "Hunker down" in my small tent and ride it out. If it's going to be that severe where trees may fall on me, I suppose I run for shelter in one of the outhouses or shower rooms or something like that. What else can you do? Lightning is not supposed to strike anyone laying down (unless that's an urban legend), so you just lay in the tent and hope for the best.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

[Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    Other than the upper corners of the dressing area where would you attach a tie-down to your camper?

QUOTE=privateer;161478]My TimeOut has several grommets along the roof line on each side.[/QUOTE]

My RAH has three tie-down points on each side. I have used them twice now.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    [Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    My TimeOut has several grommets along the roof line on each side.
    My RAH has three tie-down points on each side. I have used them twice now.
    Exactly so. I only had to use mine once. Been in 100s of hard thunderstorms, without guylines, and the TimeOut was fine. Just one time the winds were scary strong.... probably would have been fine without the guylines, but I felt better with them out.

This happened New Years Eve out in the desert 2 weeks ago while attending an event put on by the BMW Airheads of San Diego. New Years Eve was a perfect day. As evening approached clouds blew in and a light rain began. Wind picked up and the rain started to come in sideways. Nowhere to hide and it was only 7:30 pm I figured to go into my tent and wait it out. I fell asleep early only to be awakened by my tent as the rear of the tent gave me a big punch as I slept on my cot warm and comfy in my -20 bag. DAMN! was now 11:30 and had no idea how long the rain had been coming down hard but it continued for the next 4 plus hours. I never with this tent been in winds the force I was experiencing along with heavy rain. Flashlight handy I was keeping a good eye on everything wondering what to do if the tent suddenly failed. Early morning ( 3:30 am ) the rain had stopped but the wind continued to blow hard racking the tent back and forth till I figured it was time to get up. My REI Habitat 4 survived and never leaked a drop. Up and awake I began to pack everything up inside dropped the tent and packed it on the bike and everything else in the trailer and headed home. Was quit the adventure and still looking forward to my next trip.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Keith ... How well did the other people there at the event fair? ... Any tents not do as well as yours? ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I watch the weather reports. If I am solo traveling and have not setup someplace and a storm rolls in, I am looking for a car wash or on the weekends a drive up bank (closed) I will wait out a storm and move on.

With the Goldwing and good rain gear, we are headed for a town, never to sit under an over pass.

If I am on a trip two up and there are storms predicted, we are in a motel and going to a matinee movie or settling in with a good book. Since we do most of our own cooking and always camping, we allow our budget to increase for these situations.

Weather patterns will help plan my route. It is a vacation for us, so we act like we are on vacation.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Keith ... How well did the other people there at the event fair? ... Any tents not do as well as yours? ...

G
    Looking around as I emerged from my tent on New Years Day it seemed most had already taken down or were picking up what was left of there tents and headed home early. It was hard for me to see what tents failed or made it through the storm. A couple who I traveled out to the event with have a REI Kingdom 6. It too survived but had both of them worried if theirs were going to make it through the night. I feel my Hobitat 4 has a much sturdier pole system then the Kingdom 6. The habitat has been replaced by the Kingdom and has been no longer available for a year or so now. I did add a couple of internal poles to the Hobitat that I feel helped in the wind storm a couple of years ago and alway's use a double guy line on the backside of the tent after a microburst did some damage at the Salton Sea 2 years ago. The Habitat is now over 5 years old and starting to show its age so I am moving on again to a new tent. Camping this weekend again and the new tent is going along. I will post pictures when I get back. Trying something new and different.

I have a kingdom 6 and really like it.
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

At this Colorado mountain side campsite, I rode out more lighting than I have ever been in before. I have seen my fair share but that night was tremendous. Three trees within a few hundred yards were splintered by direct hits. The winds were in excess of amazing. I always just ride a storm out and hope for the best. My Mamot Limelight P3 can handle just about anything and still stay upright, warm, and dry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	20372
    What problems