Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok midnight and a Storm hits the campground!

Hybrid View

Ok midnight and a Storm hits the campground!

I was sitting here at home thinking about camping.
    I saw a video of a Class A, storm hit and tore off the awning. Frame and fabric.
    I have only did this camping in a tent camper for a year now.
    I once got caught traveling On open highway, once, pulled off and rode the storm out,
    sitting on my Trike in a helmet and rain suite. Pea sized hail, wind, kind of scary. Debated
    if I should get off and sit on downwind side of the trike. 15 min. it stopped. All ended ok.
    Riding home from a rally last Memorial Day. Tornado in Mo. Hit as we rode, tin from barns,
    started falling around us. We rode one more mile, to service station, and sat it out. Lucky day for us.

Just thought I would ask, what would you do? In a campground, trees, all around, storm hits.
    Would you ride it out inside the tent, or camper. Abandon ship for a motel. Go to the shower
    house for safety, leave the tent or camper set up? Just what would you do? Or have done.
    I think your safety is the first thought, tent can be replaced.
    If I knew it was a tornado, warning that night, might go get a motel instead of setting up.

But sometimes storms. Wind comes up fast and unexpected.... YOU GOT A PLAN?

Re: Ok midnight and a Storm hits the campground!

We worked at a Campground in southern MN one summer, had 8 tornado warnings, and saw funnel clouds 3 times, the campground storm plan was to warn as many campers as possible, and have them go to the shower houses, if there was time go the basement shelter at the firehouse a mile away. For me I would not set up camp if severe weather was being forecast, but would choose a motel. When riding we watch weatherbug radar on the phone, and try not to ride into severe weather, and ride the storm out somewhere safe, or if late enough get into a motel.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

In all my years riding and camping I have not been hit by what I would call truly a "Severe Storm".
    Some really hard rain and wind a few times yes, and rode thru a pea size hail storm for about 3 miles once but, that's about it. For the really heavy rain storms I sometimes wait it out in a rest area, car wash, church porch or maybe find a restaurant. One time while riding my KLR I rode right into a farmers pole barn during a pop-up summer storm because the lighting was hitting all around me. I waited that storm out sitting in a lawn chair that I found in the barn!

If I got hit with a severe storm, high winds or possible tornado while camping, I guess I would head for the shower house. That should be safer than laying in the tent.

I have been lucky so far! Knock on wood!

Roger

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

(Threadstarter)

Now that I am thinking about it 2 years ago, in MN. I saw a recycle barn, and I rode the trike and Mini M into it. I got to see all the
    nice people come in and recycle all the trash. Green glass, plastic, cardboard. I kind was in the way. lol But dry. Rained hard.
    Made me feel good that people care. One other time I rode out storm in bank, drive thru on a Sunday, in Chester Ill. got out my
    chair, cooler and sat it out

Blue Ridge Parkway a couple of yrs ago, sudden storm with heavy blowing rain and seemed to be continuous lightning. All traffic was stopped. Pulled into a overlook, put on the rain gear, feet on the handlebars and just leaned back on the duffle bag. Guy in the car next to me offered me a seat, but I was too wet.

If I am in a campground, and nothing else is available, I'm headed to the bathroom. If your on the road, you do whatever you have to do. I would probably do what you did, Mike. I usually carry a tarp in the cover of the Aspen. Maybe try to take shelter under it. My fear on the highway is getting hit from the back, so I would try my best to get as far away from the highway as safely possible.
    RIDE TO LIVE !

Summer 2014 me, husband and my brother were riding to WingDing in Madison Wis...a storm came up quickly...wind blowing so bad the rain and hail was sideways...husband and bro towing campers I had the cargo trailer...we pulled into a truck car wash...grateful to have it...tornado sirens going off...horrible...as soon as we could leave the truck wash we went straight to a motel for the night...
    2008 Honda GoldWing 1800
    2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 1988 Honda GoldWing 1500
    12 Aspen Classic camper and 12 Mini Mate 05 Neosho cargo trailer
    Phillippians 4:13

In 2016, my last camp before going to winter camp was in eastern IL on a lake. Just before the sun went down a huge thunderstorm rolled in, with 20+ mph winds, pounding rain, lightning, the whole ball of wax. It lasted until about 0200.

This is the only time I ever put guylines out, 3 of them on the windward side since it was blowing against the left side of the tent/trailer.

Went to sleep, woke up at daybreak, everything dried off, brilliant crisp sunny day. Tent still there, trailer still there, trike still there, stove still on the table (closed up of course). The propane bottle had tipped over and rolled under the table, and a few other things were on the ground. Nothing broken or ruined, just on the ground.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

I was tent camping at a lake in Colorado when a hail storm hit. It seemed to pass over three times. In the morning it looked like a football game had been played there with all the pot marks from the hail stones. Hard sided campers lost their plastic roof vents. The Cabela's done tent did fine. I neglected to put the cover on the bass boat. When I pulled the drain plug I could have taken a looong shower in all the water that came out of that boat. The insurance company replaced the hood on my truck.
    I've ridden out heavy rain storms under overpasses and rest stops with other riders. I guess it depends on the severity of the impending storm but, I would sure opt for a motel room rather than risk having the Aspen blow over. Like others, if I was already set up, I would sure head for the shower house. Other than the upper corners of the dressing area where would you attach a tie-down to your camper?
    To sit out one fierce storm I pulled into a lumber yard and parked under the overhang to the lumber bays.

(Threadstarter)

Rain does kind of make us look for cover. I was on 10 west of Mobile when a gully washer hit.
    I made it off 10 found a gas station, over hang, with 3 other bikers already there. I pulled up
    and said "Sorry I am late for the meeting" they all laughed.
    I rode over Fort mountain, in Ga. one year with a group, going to Edna's Home Cooking.
    It poured and some stopped, I rode the trike all the way, over and stopped to let them catch up.

Like Trikerdan says Sometimes I'm glad to be on 3 wheels. Me Too!