Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Polaris gives up on Victory Motorcycles

Re: Polaris gives up on Victory Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by stratoliner66 View Post
    This is from a RevZilla article and explains why Polaris gave up on Victory- “Victory accounted for 3 percent of Polaris revenue in 2015. That’s after 18 years. Combined, Indian and Slingshot accounted for 12 percent in 2015, after just a few years for each,” Peterson said. “Victory has been unprofitable three of the last five years, and most of the other prior years as well.” Well, if that ain’t the kiss of death, I don’t know what is. (Derek Peterson, a spokesman for the company)
    After 18 years of production and they were building about 8,000 bikes a year. Pitiful. I am not surprised Victory got killed off. Too bad that they were a good bike, but i don't think Polaris ever figured out what the general public wanted in a bike. The Vision is a great bike, but most think it is so friggen ugly they won't buy it. If they had gone more traditional styling, or even a bit less Jetson they would have sold better.

... and yet people will look at that new Wing, the F6b or whatever and say it's cool. Eye of the beholder man... I don't think styling or engineering were Victory's problems.. marketing was what killed them I think. The fact that there are still people out there, some of them motorcyclists, who've never even HEARD of the brand says a lot. MAKE AMERICA GREAT was a slogan that got a president elected, yet even people that have heard of Victory don't even know it 'was' made in Iowa. I always enjoyed the fact that my bike was made in America but it was never one of the primary selling points of the bike for me. Vic had a slogan for a while.. 'ride one and you'll own one'. Probably the best one that they had in 18 years. I know a lot of guys that did exactly that.. I didn't get a chance to ride one till 2004 or so.. didn't end up buying one till 07 but I can say that I wanted one immediately after riding one.

Honda really needs to redo the Gold Wing. It was been about 15 years since a major redo and it could use a 6th gear and clean up the styling. Imagine buying a car that was designed 15 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    After 18 years of production and they were building about 8,000 bikes a year. Pitiful. I am not surprised Victory got killed off. Too bad that they were a good bike, but i don't think Polaris ever figured out what the general public wanted in a bike. The Vision is a great bike, but most think it is so friggen ugly they won't buy it. If they had gone more traditional styling, or even a bit less Jetson they would have sold better.
    I'm glad somebody finally said it. Victory's styling left a lot to be desired for most. The styling was, let's say,.... a bit too "quirky" By the way, I see you're from Fargo. I lived and worked in Fargo during the 70's and really liked it there. If you can survive the brutal winters, it has a lot to offer. I think the saying there is " 20 below sure keeps the riff raff out". LOL

I always kinda laugh when I see comments about Victory styling. They had ONE bike that was styled different than anyone else really,and that was the Vision. There were a LOT of different models over 18 years, so much so that a lot of ppl didn't know they were all from the same manufacturer. Look up V92TC.. then look up, say.. Victory Kingpin.. then look up Cross Roads. Other than the engine and tranny the bikes went through a lot of different models to try an appeal to the market. I get why the Vision gets so much hate.. but I gotta tell ya after being around them since 08 I'd LOVE to have one. I probably wouldn't love to have the trunk.. I always thought that was just way overdone but the rest of the bike would rival anyone else in the industry for comfort and weather protection, let alone power and handling. There was also a nascent after market modding community. Look up Vision and 21" wheel.. some of those customized bikes are drool-worthy. Eye of the bee-holder I guess.

I looked at the Victory bikes quite a lot over the last ten years, mechanically well built, comfort level, with cruise controls etc. and most importantly less expensive than Electra Glides and Wings. But, as each year past I kept thinking, next year Polaris will smarten up and replace that futurist George Jetson spaceship styling with a more traditional functional look. I ended up buying a new 2010 Electra Glide Limited which I'm very happy with and Victory is belly up. (With the Wings I just could figure out where to put my feet).
    Last edited by jamesroadking; 02-08-2017 at 04:18 AM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    I always kinda laugh when I see comments about Victory styling. They had ONE bike that was styled different than anyone else really,and that was the Vision. Eye of the bee-holder I guess.
    You got that right, but it was more than just the Vision! I have looked at the Victory line, even considered buying one 10+ years ago. The styling on pretty much all the models was just a bit off in my opinion. Too much Ness influence is my guess, but I could never put my finger on what it was. Something about the proportions? I don't know, but it just was not right. On the other hand any brand has a few clunkers, but most brands and models I can admire, but Vic just did not trip my trigger. Also I thought it was "eye of the beer holder" ;-)

Yea, Victory was a 'love it or hate it' look but look at the Indian.... I cringe every time I see one and that isn't even taking in there paint job.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Yah, the indian offerings just don't do it for me either. It's not the fairing either.. I'm just odd I guess cuz I kinda like the old school train look of 'em. Can't stand the overstated front fender.. and the ergo's are so 'me-too' Harley it's ludicrous. I actually liked the fairing on the Vision.. to me it's sorta reminiscent of the old Vetter fairings from the catalog that fit any bike out there.. Those things were aerodynamic as all get out but butt ugly... I've yet to sit behind a fairing better than the one on the Vision. Some of the Gold Wings are close.. but I swear you could ride through a monsoon behind that thing and not even have to wear a rainsuit. Yes, that's overstating it, but it is remarkably aerodynamic. I thought they were damn odd when I first saw them, but some of the aftermarket stuff really changes the looks a lot.. the overstated headlght area and turn signals. Putting smoked lenses on and a few other changes really enhance the looks to me. I even like the look of it from the rear when you put smoked lenses on.

If you guys don't like the look of the 'newer' bikes the older V92 series were completely different. I know a bunch of guys that still have and are in love with the V92TC.
    https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/v...02.html#agal_0

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    Some of the Gold Wings are close.. but I swear you could ride through a monsoon behind that thing and not even have to wear a rainsuit. Yes, that's overstating it, but it is remarkably aerodynamic..
    I actually did ride through a terrible storm for hours on a 1500 'Wing without a rain suit and got off the bike with a dry ass. I liked those big barn door fairings. The Harley one is junk when it comes to protecting you. They designed it to pull wind up from under it and put it right on your chest (along with the rain). I guess that's for all the guys that only ride in the hot sun and wanted the air blowing on their chest.