Thread: Military campgrounds

Military campgrounds

Assuming there are other retired military members on this forum, I'm wondering if you also use military FamCamps on your travels? I use http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ to plan my adventures.

Merry Christmas
    Enjoy the ride,

Retired Army (still working)
    2014 Victory Vision, 2004 Roll-A-Home Camper

Re: Military campgrounds

Military Campgrounds is a great website; not a lot discussion, but a wealth of information. Whenever we are close to a base or rec area we try to stay at military campgrounds.

I can't use most military campgrounds because I don't have a military ID card.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

I try and plan my trip routing to line up with military installations...I just appreciate the quiet atmosphere...as well as the "sounds of peace(jets)", the feeling of security as well as a feeling of "coming home." But, given the choice of a nice Corps park or a military campground...it would about be a draw....

We stayed at Warren AFB at Cheyenne Wyoming a few years ago on a trip to Colorado. The dominate wild life was Pronghorn Antelope! They were almost like cottontail rabbits in most cities!! Watch out so you don't run into one.

My parents use the Fam Camps as their primary camping choice. Best one I've been to is NAS Oak Harbor.. The campground is amazing.. and a show of F/A 19 and P3 landing skills every day for free! They also really like Vandenberg. Many of the Camps are situated near the base, camp, post, station's golf course.

Think the best one I stayed in was on Coronado Beach in San Diego across the bay from the Naval Station. Can see Seals in training in both the bay and on the Pacific Ocean side of the island. Also get fly overs from the North Island Air Station.

If you head to Idaho be sure to read the warning about reservations at Gowen Air Field in Boise. RSERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED due to limited sites (7) and much use by Reservisits.
    Calman - 2003 1800 GW Trike, 2007 Aspen Sentry (sold 2012), 2012 Mini-Mate Camper, 2014 Timeout Slipstream Camper
    YNCM, USN-Retired (64-90) RVN Vet, Patriot Guard