Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: North Cascades Campout interest?

Re: North Cascades Campout interest?

when I lived closer did that ride across hey 20 a Lot twisp to Bellingham hwy 20 may be one of the best roads in north America some years it does not open till july

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

SR 20 is probably my fav road when riding across WA state, as it goes through several climatic zones, is scenic, low traffic volumes, plentiful National Forest campgrounds and avoids larger cities.

Here's a few shots of SR 20 east of Tonasket. ....

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    SR 20 is probably my fav road when riding across WA state, as it goes through several climatic zones, is scenic, low traffic volumes, plentiful National Forest campgrounds and avoids larger cities.

Here's a few shots of SR 20 east of Tonasket. ....

I love that route. Very few cars any time of year. Clean well maintained road. Plenty of camp grounds. It is my favorite way to go to Glacier. It makes a one day ride a two day ride but worth it in every way.

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

We'll be keeping an eye on this too. As soon as the dates are set we can plan time off to make a loop of it from Vancouver, WA.

Our Favorite Roads, SO FAR!
    Follow The Adventures of Lemonade

I've been toying with a trip to Alaska this year. A stop in Washington wouldn't be out of the way.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

(Threadstarter)

I was out adventuring in the cage today in the snowy weather and was thinking about places of interest and other "not to be missed". I got a few ideas to share. From Klipchuck CG to Sedro-Wooley is about 110 miles or 2.5 hours. Of course there are several spots on this route that are a "must see." If a lunch stop was planned for Burlington, "Train Wreck is awesome" http://www.trainwreckbar.com/our-menus/. One possible destination, that is amazing, is "Artist Point" at the end of WA-542, http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/Baker/ArtistPoint. Along this road is an amazing waterfall as well, https://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/...ack-Falls-4486. Only problem is, this is a dead end road. Have to back-track to at least highway 9,(great motorcycle road). Just throwing out some more ideas.
    Dennis

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I was out adventuring in the cage today in the snowy weather and was thinking about places of interest and other "not to be missed". I got a few ideas to share. From Klipchuck CG to Sedro-Wooley is about 110 miles or 2.5 hours. Of course there are several spots on this route that are a "must see." If a lunch stop was planned for Burlington, "Train Wreck is awesome" http://www.trainwreckbar.com/our-menus/. One possible destination, that is amazing, is "Artist Point" at the end of WA-542, http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/Baker/ArtistPoint. Along this road is an amazing waterfall as well, https://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/...ack-Falls-4486. Only problem is, this is a dead end road. Have to back-track to at least highway 9,(great motorcycle road). Just throwing out some more ideas.
    Dennis
    It is probably just me, but when I am camping, I don't do RTE (ride to eat) excursions. I know that some do.

The falls are great. The Artist point would be quite a ride from the camp ground to Artist Point and back. That would be a full day's excursion, for sure.

Just from where I live, when I am in the North Cascades NP, I am always heading east on excursions. Heading to Omak and maybe even up to Osoyoos.

Meet and greets are great when there are lots of options. And the North Cascades offers lots of options.

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

That area is great and I would love to take some time up there....but I have a cb750 waiting in NH that needs a total restoration, planning to be headed east by May, Lord willing. Plans may change depending on funds.
    I was up in that area in early Nov 1977 on my first cross country trip with a buddy in his 64 chevy pu, we camped the whole trip of 2 months, NH to San Diego. Once we left Olympic PN we drove down the coastline to San Diego. Wished I'd had my bike that whole trip. Washington is a great state for riding and camping for sure.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4 ABS/Airbag
    Moded Harbor Freight Clamshell trailer and tent

Previously 2007 Aspen Sentry - sold 11/1/15

Any idea on a date yet? I need to get my vacation days marked on the work calendar to make sure I can get the time off.
    Thanks,
    RB
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Any idea on a date yet? I need to get my vacation days marked on the work calendar to make sure I can get the time off.
    Thanks,
    RB
    Same here.....well not me I am retired but my wife is still working.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers