Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: North Cascades Campout, 4-5-6th of August

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: North Cascades Campout interest?

No, I didn't although if you're comfortable riding on some wash board gravel you probably could quite easily, as long as you are comfortable with meeting oncoming traffic on a narrow, steep gravel road about mid way up to Slate peak.
    I favour the National Forest Campsites!
    Besides Klipchuck and Early Winters, there is also Lone Fir, a few miles up the road, towards the pass.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    No, I didn't although if you're comfortable riding on some wash board gravel you probably could quite easily, as long as you are comfortable with meeting oncoming traffic on a narrow, steep gravel road about mid way up to Slate peak.
    I favour the National Forest Campsites!
    Besides Klipchuck and Early Winters, there is also Lone Fir, a few miles up the road, towards the pass.
    In the middle of September, we camped at Colonial Creek Camp ground right at the crossroads by the over look / lake. It is a large campground and we were lucky to get a spot. It was full by 4:00 pm on a Thursday night. Newhalem Camp ground is close by but I have never camped there.

UPPER GOODELL GROUP CAMPGROUND is on the east side of the park, can be reserved.

photos
    of Goodell

Early Winters is a first come, first served camp ground. The spots are rather large and can accommodate 3 or more motorcyclists per spot.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

For those who haven't done much Northwest mountain riding, this would be something that you shouldn't miss. There is so much to explore and all of the views while riding is amazing. 90 miles of mountain road without a gas station, grocery store or even a bill board. That doesn't include the miles of roads to and from the national park. It is a full days ride to do the north end of the North Cascades Loop. (Not to be confused with the lower Cascade Loop that uses Highway 2 and Interstate 90.)

This is Highway 20 coming back on Highway 2 loop.

I am always willing to drop what I am doing and take in this ride with visiting fellow members. I have even loaned out a motorcycle to a few people who are visiting the area and didn't bring their bike. It is that good and a must ride.

I think it is better than the Highway to the Sun Road. I think it is better than Lolo Pass. I am so lucky to live so close to this ride. Of course this loop is not the only motorcycle ride into the Cascades. Like switch backs.... then ride up to Baker Lake!

If you plan it just right, you can do the loop and be back in time for a Mariners baseball game.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I think Larry is a little biased!

While the North Cascades Highway is very nice and fairly scenic in spots, I have ridden nicer roads.
    It is however a very nice spot/area to hold a Camp Out!!

Look out at Diablo Lake .....

Near Early Winters Spires ....

Will depend on the dates. Were planning on being in Montana toward the end of June.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I think Larry is a little biased!

While the North Cascades Highway is very nice and fairly scenic in spots, I have ridden nicer roads.
    It is however a very nice spot/area to hold a Camp Out!!

Look out at Diablo Lake .....

Near Early Winters Spires ....

A little biased. But I have been in lots of places in the west and this is a goodie. Leaving sea level and riding up over the mountain pass and then down into the Methow Valley and into Winthrop...... then down the valley.... then comes the Colombia River....... riding along side of it for 50 miles then back up into the mountains, through Leavenworth, and then back down out of the mountains and back to sea level. 475 miles of climbing, descending and carving the corners.

There is just a ton of options off of all of this. Fishing, horse back riding, river rafting, hiking, climbing, and just exploring off of the other road options on both sides of the mountains. The OP mentioned the Mountain Loop Highway, which travels through an old abandoned gold mining town and up into a glacier with ice caves To travel completely through, it has about 15 miles of gravel and it comes out where major land slide we had here two years ago where we lost 50+ people. All along that 30 miles of river road is forest service land and it has free camping along the river as well as some established Federal Campgrounds. Search Granite Falls, WA and follow the road out of town heading north.

I have looked at many pre planned routes by others and I am always amazed that people dive down and run along the Columbia River then up to Mt. Rainer / St. Helens and by pass the North Cascades National Park. The only reason could it be that there isn't a big ticket item up there. Just 450 miles of pristine mountain views is all. It doesn't have a Devils Tower, or a president's head....

I am not interested in being a tour guide into the area, I just am willing to tag along for the ride and the fellowship. I am excited about a moto camper campout. The IBMC has a campout up in the Methow valley each year and another north of Omak at Conconcully Lake in September.

(Threadstarter)

Larry, I couldn't have said it better myself. There are so many options when it comes to the area. I figured on having a few choices, and print out some maps of things to see while in the area depending on the time available each day. We plan on doing a burger grilling dinner at the campground, maybe Saturday evening. I got myself a 3-burner Camp Chef grill with the professional griddle and have been itching to give it a try.
    As of now, I'm really wanting to have the campout @ Klipchuck CG. We've been there to drive around and preview the location and it seems ideal for what we would want.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Larry, I couldn't have said it better myself. There are so many options when it comes to the area. I figured on having a few choices, and print out some maps of things to see while in the area depending on the time available each day. We plan on doing a burger grilling dinner at the campground, maybe Saturday evening. I got myself a 3-burner Camp Chef grill with the professional griddle and have been itching to give it a try.
    As of now, I'm really wanting to have the campout @ Klipchuck CG. We've been there to drive around and preview the location and it seems ideal for what we would want.

Dennis
    Well if you are organizing the campout I would throw in some effort to help out. I tote a cargo trailer and can help with some group camp amenities. I might even throw my inflatable kayak on top of the trailer. The Methow River is a perfect float trip. A 3 or 4 mile float trip down a river changes you forever. It could be the end of your life too!

Depending on the time of year and the rain fall, there often times is a burn ban. I could bring my "campfire in a can" if that happens. I would assist with some groceries as well. Klipchuck is not far from Winthrop for provisions but we could bring a cast iron pot of baked beans and a bucket of potato salad.

Mentioning it on a few other motorcycle websites once the date is set would increase participation and it might even bring a few more people to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post

Dennis
    In the mean time, we could go riding and exploring! It would be nice to meet other forum members. I ride through Oak Harbor 5 or 6 times a year.

(Threadstarter)

Larry, that's a great idea. When 20 opens, and it warms up just a bit, We'll plan a ride over for an early campout at Klipchuck to test it out so to speak. I'll keep in touch so we can do an early meetup. We love that area as well and always look forward to the highway opening.
    D.