Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North Cascades Campout, 4-5-6th of August

North Cascades Campout, 4-5-6th of August

North Cascades Campout, 4-5-6th of August,
    Klipchuck Campground, North Cascades NP
    just off of WA-20 a few miles west of Winthrop WA.

RSVP

After reading all the eastern events listed, and not seeing anything for us westerners, my wife and I are interested in hosting a weekend campout @ Klipchuck Campground possibly sometime in July. Just checking to see if there is any interest for this event. Here's a link to the CG, http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawe...a/?recid=59281 . Lots of great riding in the North Cascades NP, as well as a couple craft breweries within riding distance.
    Last edited by Trailace; 01-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Re: North Cascades Campout interest?

Would be a long ride (for me)...but it sounds great!!!
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

I did a solo MC trip out to Colville, WA last summer. Had a great trip (spent about 24 days on the road). I camped in my cousins (whom I had never met) back yard on their farm just north of Colville for a couple nights. Wife and I had talked about going back out next summer in my truck pulling a trailer with bike. Will have to see what happens between now and next summer. It looks like Klipchuck is a couple hours or so west of Colville on WA 20 (which I took when I got to WA from ID on my way to Colville)

Would love to come out and visit the Cascade region.

The worst part for us coming from the east is crossing the plains (same as you guys in the west going to the east coast)
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

I am interested, that is a very scenic area and good motorcycle roads. Mid-July should work for me.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Very interested! Only 5 hr ride north of me.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Glad to see someone wanting to host a campout out there in the western states ... ... Hope it generates a lot of interest ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Depending on the date, I'd be interested as I'll be riding out for my riding group's National Rally (July 28 - 31) on Vancouver Island
    I'll be on a fairly tight 'ride about' schedule on the way out, but if it's held in very early Aug, I'd try and make it after the rally. Love that Winthrop area and have been up to the old fire tower on Slate Peak numerous times.
    I'll be watching this one!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I do the Cascades loop trip quite a few times each year. Most of the time, I do it in two days, but there are times we do it in one. A relaxed 3 day 2 night trip is best as it then allows for some exploring of certain areas and can allow for fishing.

I have camped at Klipchuck as well as Early Winters. This area is perfect for an over night campout when doing the Cascades loop on a two day ride. Early Winters is pretty close to the highway, so I prefer Klipchuck. I also like the BeBe Bridge Campground, but it is not a National Park camp ground and the fees are higher, but camping right on the Columbia River is very nice.

When planning on camping at Bebe Bridge, we always bring our fishing gear and have always been successful with a fish fry. Bebe is $30 a night, but they allow 3 bikes in one site and the showers are free..... and clean. The yard is irrigated and always mowed. If you are camping in the area, stop by there for a free hot clean shower. (tip)

Walleye, small mouth bass, cat fish and perch.

Bebe can fill up too, but Lincoln Rock State Park is 20 miles to the south of Bebe and it too has fishing from shore on the Columbia River.

I would enjoy meeting other moto-camper folks on a northwest campout. Perfect.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

(Threadstarter)

The weekend after the Oyster Run, my wife and I went on a local adventure. We rode around the Mountain Loop Highway, spent the night in Sedro Wooley, then headed east over highway 20 to Winthrop. We stopped by a few campgrounds to see how they were, and really liked Early Winters as well as Klipchuck. Only issue as we noticed, no reservations. We could probably get 3 sites occupied ourselves, but not sure if we could do any more. There are a couple state parks fairly close to the area as well, Pearrygin Lake SP is close to Winthrop. I've never been to the park though. I'll see what's available there. Plus I'm looking to see what kind of events are taking place in the area this summer to see if we can arrange something outside of those times. The more information, the better.

(Threadstarter)

Dusty, did you ride your wing up to the Slate Peak fire lookout? I've been wanting to ride my 'Cade up there, but was concerned about the road and size of my bike. I've had it in many off-road circumstances and only once did I have a problem that required a truck to pull me out. I'd like to not get in that situation again.