Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Re: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    I just learned about the icefields in BC. That will add about two days onto this trip. Some hot springs near there to get me started, add a day. Also heard of a bmwra rally in Petoskey (30 miles) first week in July. My friend is moving to Florida in July, I'm going to help him all the way there. We will load both bikes and my Minimate into a rental trailer pulled by a rental truck driven by either of us and the other will drive his car. This summer I will visit Prudhoe bay and Key West. Just bought a stack of tires and went in half on a cycle hill tire changer. My present plan is to get on US 2 heading west the first week of June, return to Michigan in time for the Petoskey rally, help load up to leave Pontiac for Florida, I don't know anyone who is moving to Pontiac. Ride to keywest , see my family in the panhandle then ride home almost solo.
    John,
    Have you used the Cycle hill tire changer? I like mine, warm the tires and it takes the work out of it
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Not yet Bob I'm making a park on base instead of bolting it to the floor. My garage has heated floors , nice to lay on in the winter but risky to attach machines to.
    A clean dirt bike is a dirty shame...

You bet, I wouldn't drill into a heated floor either. I bolted mine to a sheet of plywood I cut in half. If it's a nice day I can use it outside. I normally only use mine in the spring when my buddy's and I have a tire changing party. The rest of the year I unbolt it and set it on the shelf and set my Bowfex on the plywood base.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    Not yet Bob I'm making a park on base instead of bolting it to the floor. My garage has heated floors , nice to lay on in the winter but risky to attach machines to.
    Hey I hope you have a Great time there in Alaska Who knows maybe we will cross paths

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Readytogo, are you going to the mini rally in southern Michigan this weekend? I'm trying to get to that event as a 500 mile warm up ride.

I did AK in '11 and '12 in July...in '11 the icefields parkway sunny mountains took my breath away! In '12 Did it again...a blizzard. The Cassier hwy. shredded rear tire way b4 I should have gone thru it...sharp chip seal. And no critters...alcan was loaded. Went solo on harley...and I'm a chick...the things I remember most are fish tailing on black ice in shaded area trying to avoid a moose that can from shadows...a ticked buffalo coming at me...and all the cagers and big motor homes that wished they had ridden it...u MUST take this trip!

I will be leaving Vermont headed across the US side on June 5th ....probably #2 across the Northern Plains.....and then north up to Banff/ Jasper/ and the Alaska Hwy. into Alaska. Being retired I have no schedule other than get back to Vermont before my cash is gone and the credit card is maxxed out.

I will be pulling a Harbor Freight trailer I'm currently building with a custom size diamond plate cargo box that will hold all my camping gear and other gear. I just sold a Kompact Kamp trailer because it was not long enough to haul a new cot I need to use when camping because of prior back surgery and another bulging disc I currently have. I have done the bearings and will have extra sets all ready greased and ready to go if needed.

One question I have is somewhere I have read about the advisability to get helicopter insurance in case you get injured and they fly your butt to the nearest hospital. That can't be cheap at all and probably the insurance isn't either, but would like to check into it.

Another question is I have read many ride reports and they seem to all be in agreement that that roads can be fairly nasty up there especially in the construction zones. I was wondering about putting a container (sharing) of Ride On into the two trailer tires and maybe another can into my new front BT45 front tire. I don't normally use that product, but it might save me a flat tire up there in the North Country.

Any ideas and answers appreciated.

Allen

Darksider #1655

Allen, As to Midivac insurance that works for Alaska you might check into
    https://www.apollomt.com/ My neighbor used to fly for them and just the other day I was asking him about signing up myself. I don't believe they cover the whole country but for your trip north they work well up here.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Allen, I have a Spot personal locator, and for cheap I have rescue insurance and for about the same I bought vehicle recovery insurance too. Findmespot.com John

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Bob, I just did a few tires on the cycle hill. Lots of grins until I tried to seat the bead. Ended up using a bicycle inner tube to get the bead started. I did a short ride to the mini rally in southern Michigan, good cold testing, gotta bring a warm walk around coat for when not plugged into 12vdc. I'm leaving for the Hiawatha rally June 2nd and North to Prudhoe bay via direct rout. My return trip will be completely open to suggestions. My wife got interested in BC area so I am saving that area for the sidecar. John