Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Re: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Hi John,
    When we drove it most of the road up to the Coldfoot/Wiseman area was in good shape. Your plan should work. There was a couple sections at the start of the Dalton where DOT was watering the roadway down and it created a 6 inch deep layer of mud with baseball sized rocks, it was like driving on marbles in mud. We were up on the pegs for miles. Karie and I commented that we would have been fine on our wings everywhere but this section. A nice stop at about mile 60, 4 miles north of the Yukon River is the Hot Spot Cafe. They have great burgers. While we were there a couple Carlile trucks pulled up and the drivers were from the TV show. We gave them a hand off loading fresh produce they were dropping off.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I just learned about the icefields in BC. That will add about two days onto this trip. Some hot springs near there to get me started, add a day. Also heard of a bmwra rally in Petoskey (30 miles) first week in July. My friend is moving to Florida in July, I'm going to help him all the way there. We will load both bikes and my Minimate into a rental trailer pulled by a rental truck driven by either of us and the other will drive his car. This summer I will visit Prudhoe bay and Key West. Just bought a stack of tires and went in half on a cycle hill tire changer. My present plan is to get on US 2 heading west the first week of June, return to Michigan in time for the Petoskey rally, help load up to leave Pontiac for Florida, I don't know anyone who is moving to Pontiac. Ride to keywest , see my family in the panhandle then ride home almost solo.
    A clean dirt bike is a dirty shame...

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Money exchange for Canada is in my favor, gas prices are down, I have a free pass for all Canadian provincial parks. It might be cheaper to get into Canada right away and travel to the icefields instead of using US 2. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    Money exchange for Canada is in my favor, gas prices are down, I have a free pass for all Canadian provincial parks. It might be cheaper to get into Canada right away and travel to the icefields instead of using US 2. Any suggestions?
    Hi John,
    On most of my trips to and from the UP I would follow US2 out to just west of Minot and head on highway 52 crossing at North Portal. Crossing the border it becomes 39 it angles up to the trans-Canada that will take you to the National Parks west of Calgary. With the exchange rate in our favor it can be a wash. Our gas is cheeper but with the exchange rate it evens out. There is not much to see going across the prairie I normally like to get past the flat lands as quick as I can. You can go faster on the trans-Canada, but it kills my gas mileage. My wife loves the prairie so she likes to slow down and enjoy it...yuk.
    Looks like I will be traveling from May 25th till the middle of August and expect to be back in Michigan twice over the summer.
    Keep the shinny side up!
    Bob

I am keeping my eye on any Alaska trip going on in this thread and this whole forum Friend and I are planning on doing this TRIP in June I have took in a lot of info on this forum so far Any way any more info you can put on here BigBob or anybody else I am all ears along with Dirtyairhead THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Readytogo View Post
    I am keeping my eye on any Alaska trip going on in this thread and this whole forum Friend and I are planning on doing this TRIP in June I have took in a lot of info on this forum so far Any way any more info you can put on here BigBob or anybody else I am all ears along with Dirtyairhead THANKS
    Do you have any questions please post them up and I will see if I can help you out. What are you riding and what is your fuel range?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Do you have any questions please post them up and I will see if I can help you out. What are you riding and what is your fuel range?
    I will be on a BMW LT1200 it gets around 250 miles and I better start looking for a gas station The other guy will be on a Harley The only thing I am not looking for is those muddy construction areas I road on gravel and such What is the best site to get on to see what the roads are like
    When coming home I am thinking of taking the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert with just a few days in advance notice I am not sure that will work for them
    I probabaly will have more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Readytogo View Post
    I will be on a BMW LT1200 it gets around 250 miles and I better start looking for a gas station The other guy will be on a Harley The only thing I am not looking for is those muddy construction areas I road on gravel and such What is the best site to get on to see what the roads are like
    When coming home I am thinking of taking the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert with just a few days in advance notice I am not sure that will work for them
    I probabaly will have more questions
    Your bike will be fine. Not sure on the HD. Plan on having 170 mile range. There are areas where you will not be able to get premium gas, bring some octane booster.
    You will run into some construction areas. It varies year to year. There is an area near Beaver Creek in the Yukon that is always tore up. Some years it's pretty nasty. Just take your time.
    As to the Ferry it's a great way to see another part of Alaska and relax. If your showing up without a reservation you might not get on. Try to contact them as soon as you can. With the low oil prices Alaska is not rolling in the $$$ Our ferry system has had to cut back. There are not as many ferry's running as past years. Are either of you pulling a trailer? Reason I ask is the ferry uses the length of your rig. My wing with camper is 19 feet, same as a pickup$$$ In past years I have shown up on the wrong day, wrong ferry terminal and the wrong country and was able to get on the ferry but that was just with a bike.

Alaska Ferry System
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Yukon highway report:
    http://www.511yukon.ca/en/

BC:
    http://www.bchighway.com/report/hwy97n.shtml

Alaska:
    http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Your bike will be fine. Not sure on the HD. Plan on having 170 mile range. There are areas where you will not be able to get premium gas, bring some octane booster.
    You will run into some construction areas. It varies year to year. There is an area near Beaver Creek in the Yukon that is always tore up. Some years it's pretty nasty. Just take your time.
    As to the Ferry it's a great way to see another part of Alaska and relax. If your showing up without a reservation you might not get on. Try to contact them as soon as you can. With the low oil prices Alaska is not rolling in the $$$ Our ferry system has had to cut back. There are not as many ferry's running as past years. Are either of you pulling a trailer? Reason I ask is the ferry uses the length of your rig. My wing with camper is 19 feet, same as a pickup$$$ In past years I have shown up on the wrong day, wrong ferry terminal and the wrong country and was able to get on the ferry but that was just with a bike.

Alaska Ferry System
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Yukon highway report:
    http://www.511yukon.ca/en/

BC:
    http://www.bchighway.com/report/hwy97n.shtml

Alaska:
    http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index
    Thanks for the road report sites And ya we will have just the bikes to worry about getting on the ferry with I know we should be camping not this trip But that is good to know about the premium gas thing my bike does not like regular gas Any way thanks again Maybe we can meet up some where who knows

Just a bit more info for riding on the Alaska ferry's.
    You need to have your own tie downs, they don't have to be big 20 ft. ratchet straps. It isn't that rough in the summer. I keep two 6 footers in the passenger cubby's on my wing. Leave the bike in gear on the side stand with one tie down on each side. Some times a crew member will direct you to park in a spot where there isn't anything to hook you tie downs to. Question the crew member if you don't see anything to tie to.

You pay for yourself and your bike. Your ticket does not include a cabin to sleep in or meals. The ferry will have some cafeteria dinning. We bring a small cooler with sandwich fixings. Going to Prince Rupert from Haines you will be in the ferry about two days, getting a cabin is my preferred method of travelling on the ferry. Most cabins will have there own bathroom with toilet/sink/shower. They have inside and outside cabins, the outside cabins have a window, its Alaska, pay extra for the window.

If you don't want to pay for a cabin there are lounges with reclining seating or the solarium on outside in the upper deck. It has reclining lawn chairs and the space is heated, bring your sleeping bag and its not too bad. Some folks will bring a freestanding tent and pitch it adjacent to the solarium but you should tie it to a railing, they will blow off the ship! Most ferry's will have a shower room available near the solarium.

Don't get on the ferry with an empty gas tank. Look your ticket over for arrival times at your destination. It may be in the middle of the night and nothing is open for gas.

The bars on the ferry's have closed, the only place you can drink booze is in your cabin. There is no smoking on the ferry's other than standing outside near the railing.

It is not uncommon to see uniformed law enforcement officers on the ferry's. That is how they travel town to town. If world events raise the security levels I have seen armed USCG law enforcement officers searching vehicles and traveling on the ferry, they look just like SWAT.....