Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Well my wife gave me the OK for Alaska in June of 2017 . She doesn't like me riding solo in risky areas. I don't like sharing my motorcycle rides with anyone for very long....BUT.... I am considerate of other peoples desires, needs, and riding styles. Does this sound familiar? my credentials are the typical old man stuff, started riding in the 60s, MSF instructor, mechanic, track days, been coast to coast and Gulf to the north side of lake superior, ride a well maintained 1992 bmw r100gs and pull a Minimate with brakes and carry a SPOT tracking device. (wife loves the SPOT) Now hopefully to Prudhoe bay and inuvk. I plan to meet up with someone at the beginning of the haul road and at the beginning of the Dawson highway. It seems like the rest of the trip will be solo on good roads with lots of facilities. Does this sound like a good plan? I welcome your comments and suggestions. I love hot springs and will travel out of my way to get soaked. Yea I have great rain gear, electronic heated liners, and an oversized alternator. I carry spares and tools expected for the ride. I am totally independent but sometimes it is just common sense to have another rider with you. John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160812_161342.jpg  
    A clean dirt bike is a dirty shame...

Re: Alaska almost solo, moved from general topic

Where ever you go you will have company . I have never saw as many motorcycles as the Alcan - Cassiar and all over AK .

I did it solo this past year but had to turn back at Whitehorse due to slow parts delivery (starter went out) and time. I bought the highly recommended Milepost but found a book "Alaska Camping" easier to use. This is especially true if you avail yourself of each Canadian town's Info Center which has free WIFI and plenty of local and highway maps.

And it helped immensely that I did some advance preps before leaving. I planned out my route up and back and saved it to both my GPS and a mapping program on my laptop. I also bought some "camping meals" and using a foodsaver machine reduced the 4-portion pouches to individual portions.
    Calman - 2003 1800 GW Trike, 2007 Aspen Sentry (sold 2012), 2012 Mini-Mate Camper, 2014 Timeout Slipstream Camper
    YNCM, USN-Retired (64-90) RVN Vet, Patriot Guard

As to the Milepost here is a link that will get you a lot of it's info. You can just print off as needed. Use the tabs at the top to access info for all of the north country highways.

https://www.themilepost.com/highway-...alaska-highway
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

That is an awesome website! Thanks for the link!
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks Bob. You have given me a lot of information and this link is great also. We had coffee in my neighborhood, maybe we can have another coffee up north. John

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Sounds like you have a great plan so far. The biggest issue we had was time. We had promised friends we would meet them in Sturgis for the rally. Even with planning extra days in we still had to push at the end when we would have liked to have spent a few days in one spot. Live and learn I guess!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Hi John
    I see your planning on June, That next cup of coffee might not work out. June has gotten busy for us. Our nephew graduates in Washington on June 9th and we are planning on being in the UP on June 22 for the Car show in St. Ignace then going to the Soo for an Ironbutt ride on June 24th.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-ss1k.1188642/
    If I can work out the timing I want to be in northern California to have a Russell seat made just before or after our nephew's graduation..... too many roads, not enough time...

A bit more info for John or anyone else coming up and are wanting to ride up the Dalton, 415 miles or Dempster, 456 mile highways. Both of these are long dirt roads. All kinds of bikes have made it but an Adventure style bike is best suited for these roads. In Fairbanks there is a shop that caters to the Adventure Rider bikes. They operate out of Dan's home 24/7. They specialize in BMW's but have worked on my KLR and my wife's XR650 They carry a small selection of tires, oil,filters,chains. Folks can ship items to them for your arrival. They rent gas cans for the long ride up to Deadhorse. Their site is: www.advcycleworks.com

As to pulling a camper or any trailer on either of these roads I would not attempt it. I am sure someone has done it, but I would not. I would plan on leaving it in Fairbanks and either plan on tent camping or hotel/lodge/workcamp.

In 2010 we headed north from Fairbanks with an easy ride planned. Two days up and two days down. We would gas at the north side of the Yukon bridge and then again at Coldfoot. We called and had a reservation at Boreal Lodge in Wiseman http://www.boreallodge.com/ for the first and third nights. When we arrived in Deadhorse we stayed at the Arctic Caribou Inn, it has closed now but there are other work camps: https://www.prudhoebayhotel.com/ These are not normal hotels. The oilfield contractors stay there, they have a mess hall and cost about 250.00 each per night including meals.

As to camping spots in or near Deadhorse I do not know of any nor would I want to spend a night in a tent anywhere near there.... Cold winds and the odd Polar Bear wondering around. There is camping in Coldfoot and Marion Creek BLM campground, just north of Coldfoot.
    There are some turn outs 40-50 miles south of Deadhorse that might work well for camping. The road conditions varied from super wet mud sections to bits of old pavement but the worse bit for us was the last 35 miles or so south of Deadhorse. The loose rocks they put on the road were about golf ball to baseball sized. It was so loose and the wind so strong we were not able to go fast enough to get into 5th gear so I almost ran out of gas on my KLR.

I have not driven all of the Dempster highway, we hit a storm about 90 miles into it as my wife started to get sick so we turned around. A few of my buds have ridden it and it is similar to the Dalton in that its all dirt and limited services, the only gas is at Eagle Plains, at the 230 mile mark. They have gas, motel and camping. There are 5-6 campgrounds along the highway. The road extension to Tuktoyaktuk is due to open next fall.

The bugs can be horrible during the summer. Bring a head net. Bring Bear spray, you can cross into Canada with it but it has to be labeled as Bear Spray. I have crossed the border many times with it strapped to my handlebars.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I will bring 3 spare tires so the haul road will be on 2 fresh knobbies with a 1 new spare rear and the 2 used road tires, 3rd or 4th gear and lots of stops but I think I'll double the amount of extra gas. Ride 3/4 the way up, camp,ride the unloaded bike to Prudhoe bay and back to camp. If its too bad I might pay for a room for a night. Great links Bob.