Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cot Tent - Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Cot Tent - Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent

I just got my new solo cot tent delivered yesterday.

Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent. I got it from Amazon. It is a "customer return" so I got it for $52.00 vs the $70.00 price. (free shipping)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out-with-the-Teton-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-small.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	20080

Here is the U tube video showing how fast it sets up.

Note: Most of the reviews on this tent has the tent paired with a cot that is too big for it. The tent does not fully cover the cot, so when it rains, the water runs under the cot, between the cot and the floor of the tent. A normal sized cot allows for the rain fly to more than cover the cot, there by protecting this from happening.

My old cot tent:

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	20081

The old tent has sleeves and to route the poles through the sleeves took time. I usually had 15 minutes in putting up this tent. My 4 man tent went up much faster.

The new tent goes up in 60 seconds. It weights about the same as my old cot tent. 4.5 lbs. Not really back packing weight.

I can see the using this tent on "over night" camps or even a mid afternoon nap on a long day at a rest area or a picnic area. Opening up the cot, setting up the tent and rolling out my cot pad is 5 minutes. Packing up is the same. I have tried the "sleep" on the picnic table at the rest areas, only to be harassed not by other people but by flying misquotes, or biting flies.

When traveling with this cot tent, it would work as a quick shelter to ride out a thunderstorm.

It has limits on storing other bike cargo. This is not camping. lol This is finding a small spot off the road and catching some shut eye.

In the past, when traveling with the cot tent, when I ran into bad sustained weather, I was into a motel.

There is not a lot of extra room in this tent or any cot tent. When you go in there, be prepared. There is enough room for my jacket and boots at the end of the cot. My clothes are stored inside my sleeping bag to keep them warm for the morning.

I liked my cot tent. This is just a faster setup version.

Here is the link: http://a.co/26GnCbd

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Re: Cot Tent - Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent

Interesting idea for a quick setup system.
    Thanks for the write up and link.
    Cheers, David C.
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not. This is mine, it opens fully, fly attached, in under 30 seconds. Ready to withstand a raging thunderstorm.

Name:	81Ry87RaDuL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	20083

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I641UQ...I2A9KMYU7UOXL0

$153
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11202568_10152828690362623_3129565462537399409_n (1).jpg  
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Friend of Bill W.
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not. This is mine, it opens fully, fly attached, in under 30 seconds. Ready to withstand a raging thunderstorm.

$153
    Your cot tent folds to a 34 x 34 x 7. How do you haul your cot tent? How often have you used this? Is it a permanent part of your camping equipment? I searched the 350 reviews on Amazon for Motorcycle and I found 3 responses, all stating hauling this cot tent in their cargo trailer. I see you have a camper trailer not a cargo trailer. I am unfamiliar with the cargo capacity of the Timeout trailer.

My purpose / use of a cot tent is for solo camping off the bike. The size of your camp cot would not fit anywhere on my Goldwing, where as my cot, cot tent and my sleeping bag will all lay on the back seat of my motorcycle.

I do also use a hitch rack on my Goldwing, but that does not increase the cargo space of the motorcycle enough to accommodate that style of cot tent. In the picture below, my cot tent, cot, folding chair, and sleeping pad is on the back seat. My sleeping bag is in the blue rack bag.

Name:	N Cascades Pass.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	20085

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Your cot tent folds to a 34 x 34 x 7. How do you haul your cot tent? How often have you used this? Is it a permanent part of your camping equipment? I searched the 350 reviews on Amazon for Motorcycle and I found 3 responses, all stating hauling this cot tent in their cargo trailer. I see you have a camper trailer not a cargo trailer. I am unfamiliar with the cargo capacity of the Timeout trailer.
    Goes in the waterproof bag on top of my TimeOut.

?? You haul a tent cot ON a camper? What, do you use it as a guest house?

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    ?? You haul a tent cot ON a camper? What, do you use it as a guest house?
    Fast camping. Like when I go to the west coast in late April to see my Vietnam buddy, which I do every spring, I can pull into any old forest spot, put the tent cot up, and leave the trailer closed.

Sleep well in the tent cot after a fire and some Fireball, then get up at daybreak, pack it up in a minute flat, slide it back into the car top bag, and hit the road.

Same thing when I finally leave my buddy's house at the very last minute to make it to MO for the COG National, I will fast camp to get there.

So I've just gotten to the point where it is always in the car top bag, sitting on top of the 4 plastic bins that hold kitchen stuff, electronics, clothes, and miscellaneous. To do that, I had to switch to an 18 cu. ft. bag, which is taller and gives me room to slide it in, and still get my chair in too.

Plus I've got 4 of the 60" ROK straps, so if need be I can strap on top of the car top bag too. When I got the under bed storage container, that rides inside the trailer, at a Walmart somewhere along the way, I strapped it on top until I set up the next camp. Then moved blankets, sheets, pillow cases, bike washing and polishing towels, and some other stuff into it.

I've got an Ozark trail model-works great for quick local over night trips. I just throw it across the seat and go! I don't use it for long trips, to heavy(30 lbs). I use the tent cot for kayaking as well, works great on sand bars and the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post

$153
    How comfortable is the tent cot? Support? Can it handle moderate to heavy winds & rain? Pro's Con's is what I'm asking if you could share your thoughts? Build quality?

Quote Originally Posted by kenichi58 View Post
    How comfortable is the tent cot? Support? Can it handle moderate to heavy winds & rain? Pro's Con's is what I'm asking if you could share your thoughts? Build quality?
    The one I have is more than long enough for me (5'10") and easily wide enough. High enough to sit in the opening and sit up inside. It doesn't seem to be affected by wind or rain.

Built well, and quite sturdy.

CONS: Not lightweight, and it packs down to a large 34x34x7. That slides into my roof bag on top the trailer, on top of the vinyl bins. But it sure won't haul well on a motorcycle.

I have a nice Lightspeed warmth pad in mine, with the sleeping bag on top. That solves the common complaint that cold seeps up from underneath, just like a hammock.