Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dexter brakes for Aspen Sentry

Re: Dexter brakes for Aspen Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    I pulled a brakeless Roll-a-Home behind my RSTD and also my FJR1300. I had no problem stopping, but the trailer handled like crap (Gen 1 RaH) I rode technical highways with both rigs and never had a stopping problem.

The FJR is much like the C14.
    You must be a much better rider than I am.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    You must be a much better rider than I am.
    Doubt it, but everyone's different. No claim to fame here. Just try to keep the dirty side down - whether it be me or the bike
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Slightly Grumpy Old Guy Bipeflier's Avatar

I was in the "no brakes" league when I bought the Aspen in 2007. In 2013 DW and I had a car pull out in front of us on a wet blacktop road. No accident resulted thanks to the Good Lord but a change of undies was really needed!

I put brakes on the trailer when we got home from the trip and I am 180 degrees from my previous position. You couldn't get me to pull a 400 to 500 pound camper without them anymore. I have pulled over 10k miles with the brakes and haven't seen a need to even adjust them from the initial wear in period. YMMV
    '05 GL 1800 Black Cherry
    '07 Aspen Classic Camper
    '17 Yamaha WR250R - '69 Triumph 500 Daytona
    '50 Verbal GPS & Tour Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bipeflier View Post
    I was in the "no brakes" league when I bought the Aspen in 2007. In 2013 DW and I had a car pull out in front of us on a wet blacktop road. No accident resulted thanks to the Good Lord but a change of undies was really needed!

I put brakes on the trailer when we got home from the trip and I am 180 degrees from my previous position. You couldn't get me to pull a 400 to 500 pound camper without them anymore. I have pulled over 10k miles with the brakes and haven't seen a need to even adjust them from the initial wear in period. YMMV
    I'm with you. When I decided I needed a bigger trailer then the Mini Mate, one of the first things I looked for were brakes. You only have to have one idiot (or careless) driver or a deer in front of you to appreciate brakes. I don't care how careful you are and leave a hundred yards between you and the next car. When something happens, and you need to stop in a hurry...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

We just put a $100 down payment on a 2017 Aspen Classic! (Had to sell my dream truck to pay hospital bills, fix the family car, and put a roof on the house, but there's *just* enough left for the aspen)!

I ordered it with brakes. Urals are not known for their braking power, so I knew I'd want brakes to help stop. *not that they even go that fast anyways lol

Is a brake controller all I need to hook it up, or do I need some kind of actuator?

I'll be using the Hopkins InSIGHT controller. I'm thinking of mounting the slider/adjuster module under my left bar switch housing so I can make adjustments with my thumb, as well as operate the slider if I need to. Gotta waterproof it somehow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18473183_1.jpg  
    We're slow, and like to go old!

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller. It is installed in the very rear right corner of my RollaHome. I have a switch located in the left fairing above my left knee that goes to a relay to switch of ALL electrical power to the brake system if I notice a brake issue. As others have stated...there are both pluses and minus to the brakes. I love having them when driving straight. They can also be "scary" when descending steep Rough sharp mountain curves. If you get a little bouncing while turning and brakes adjusted a bit tight, you can encounter a "pucker factor". I now kill electric power to trailer brake system before getting to any sharp curves and make SURE I am at a safes speed PRIOR to entering any down hill sharp curve. I think it's best to not adjust the brakes to work very hard. Keep them adjusted lighter to just help some. If you ever get one brake to activate significantly more than the other and they are set very tight, you can certainly "be surprised". The other hand.... an extra 500-600 lbs was never really intended to be towed behind a motorcycle. We have all already accepted some amount of additional risk by attaching ANY trailer behind the motorcycle. That said, my wife and I are headed back up to Alberta in July towing an extra 600# behind us, and there will be a lot of 70 mph miles :-)
    2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
    Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
    Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Thanks for that. I've always been a strong believer in driving within the parameters of a vehicle. I never understood those sunvisor signs on high sided trucks and jeeps about tipping over. It's as obvious as the, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear", on the mirror.

DAH!

It will take a few days to get used to it, but there's big parking lots at the mall! I'll own it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixbennetts View Post
    Is a brake controller all I need to hook it up, or do I need some kind of actuator?

I'll be using the Hopkins InSIGHT controller. I'm thinking of mounting the slider/adjuster module under my left bar switch housing so I can make adjustments with my thumb, as well as operate the slider if I need to. Gotta waterproof it somehow.
    I use that system. Put the controller in the trunk, the slide switch on velcro on the tank between my knees, and the readout in the middle of the handlebars, under a crowl on my bike. If it rains, I put the slide switch in a zip lock bag. I do wish it was waterproof though, or could be made waterproof.

I'm working on using flexseal. If I use plenty of silicone grease in case of an accidental intrusion, I think it'll be good. A small soft piece of foam between the slider and the top so it has a space to move into.

If it doesn't work, I'll just peel it off. They really could corner the market with a waterproof brake controller for heavy bikes, sidecars, and trikes that would be towing heavier trailers. Would also work for open Jeeps, trail rigs, atvs, etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PicsArt_01-22-04.38.27.jpg  

Change of plans. Rather than risking Flexseal seeping into the slider and impeding it's movement, I'll use a section of black, nitrile, heavy duty rubber glove and make a condom for it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_01-25-02.40.35.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	20476

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_01-25-04.46.43.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	20477