Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Re: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

I did however, just order one of these to give a try:

http://www.tetonsports.com/Sleeping-...m#.WDHf5PkrKMp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed Bag 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	19966

I was pleased with the quality and the sturdiness of the Teton Tracker, just not the size.
    So I decided to give them another try with this bag.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Okay... It's 6:00am... I did it!
    Here are the findings:

Tent:
    I assembled the tent the first day I got it, in the living room, and everything looked good. However upon setting it up this second time, I did discover one more problem with this particular tent (it can be seen in the photo below), there are only three of the necessary four loops stitched into the tent to hang the upper mesh storage pocket. This could be solved with a safety pin, but since the tent is brand new, I brought this to Amazon's attention and they agreed to replace it.

Attachment 19962

Sleeping Bag:
    I'm not terribly claustrophobic, but the Teton Tracker +5 bag is just a bit too small for me. I need some space to move around. Trying to zip that thing up with myself inside was difficult, then once sealed inside... ehhhh... just too small. I think I'll find a rectangular bag that gives me more room at the feet, and lets me hang an arm out without having to dislocate my shoulder so that my arm pokes out the opening for my head. It certainly packs nice and small, but at the same cost while using it. This bag might become a hand-me-down to the daughter.

Air Pillow:
    At home I sleep with two pillows every night... a firm pillow on the bottom, and then a memory foam pillow on top of that. I could never sleep with a feather pillow or anything soft like that... I'd want to stack five or six of them up until it was firm. In fact, a big solid chunk of foam-rubber couch cushion would be preferred to a soft pillow any day, but that's just not going to pack well on a motorcycle. So I assumed that an inflatable pillow was going to be the answer. The results... well first I chased that thing around all night. Trying to keep it tucked into the pocket at the top of the sleeping bag, and yet trying to slip an arm or even hand underneath it the way I normally sleep, was impossible. Second, it was like sleeping on a balloon. Knowing that I prefer a firm pillow, I may have just over-inflated it. Once I let some air out and softened it up a little, it wasn't so bad. My daughter had committed to making me a flannel pillowcase for it and I'm sure that will help too.

Air Mattress:
    Same concern with the air mattress... once I let some air out of it, it was more comfortable. It was a bit noisy, as people say, but it pretty much stayed put on the cot and didn't slide or move around much. Of course, neither did I.

Cot:
    I knew that setting up that huge cot inside the tent was going to be a problem. I assumed there was no way to stuff the fully assembled cot in thorough the door, and I also assumed that I would have to partially assemble the cot outside the tent and then somehow fold it in, and then install the spreader bar mechanisms. But I found that I could get the full length bars inside by just pushing them into the opposite corner and then pulling the door frame around the end of the bars. Once inside, and with the cot upside down, I installed the four stretcher bars. Then came the problem... I couldn't flip it over. I had to pull one corner back outside the door and then flip it and shove it back in. It worked, but I'm concerned that constantly stretching the door panel might lead to a rip or some other permanent damage. I'll either have to be real careful doing this each time, or just get a larger tent. The next sized Extreme Tent (the Extreme 3) has tent poles that are another few inches longer when packed, and I'm already at about 20 inches and the tent is my largest piece on the bike already, so i may have to do some more research.

Overall Experience:
    Not a terrible night's sleep. I woke up once in the middle of the night, and then again at 5:00am (as I always do), and then I got up at my usual 6:00am. Was I rested? No. But much of this is because I am also starting to come down with the Cold that my son and daughter have had for the past week or so. The runny nose started last night... so it's inevitable. But I'm pretty good at staving these things off, so it shouldn't last long.

I can recommend each of these products for their intended use. Especially that ridiculously expensive cot... it is very well built and makes a world of difference just getting you up off the ground. Even the sleeping bag is well built, kept me warm, and has no other concerns, except for my personal desire for more room inside it. We'll see about the pillow on the long term, but I expect the proper pillow case will help.

So there's my two cents...

Jim
    Your cot will work fine with it under the tent. This keeps you from having to fight it into the tent. Your ground straps will just "absorb" the cot under the tent just fine.

Just set your tent on top of it and stake it down.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Your cot will work fine with it under the tent. This keeps you from having to fight it into the tent. Your ground straps will just "absorb" the cot under the tent just fine.

Just set your tent on top of it and stake it down.
    I'd be worried about puncturing the floor of the tent under those circumstances. Amazon has just informed me that due to the manufacturing defect, they will refund my original tent purchase, so I am looking for a tent that has... if nothing else, a larger door. This MSR Elixir 3 person tent has my interest. It gives me a bit more room, but still has the shorter pole lengths of the ALPS 2 person tent (and packs just as small). The previous 2 person tent instantly became a 1 person tent when that massive cot was installed. With the new 3 person tent and the larger Teton XXL sleeping bag... all items are in scale with the Cot Max and still leave room for another camper in the tent with me.

That's the new plan.
    Last edited by JMartin; 11-20-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added links.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I'd be worried about puncturing the floor of the tent under those circumstances. Amazon has just informed me that due to the manufacturing defect, they will refund my original tent purchase, so I am looking for a tent that has... if nothing else, a larger door. This MSR Elixir 3 person tent has my interest. It gives me a bit more room, but still has the shorter pole lengths of the ALPS 2 person tent (and packs just as small). The previous 2 person tent instantly became a 1 person tent when that massive cot was installed. With the new 3 person tent and the larger Teton XXL sleeping bag... all items are in scale with the Cot Max and still leave room for another camper in the tent with me.

That's the new plan.
    The weight of the cot won't be mashing down on the floor of the tent if the cot is under the tent.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Have you considered ditching the cot and just sleeping on that pad?
    Would make for faster camp set up, more packing space, less weight on the bike and you'd be able to keep your present tent!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    The weight of the cot won't be mashing down on the floor of the tent if the cot is under the tent.
    Yes, but the cot underneath will elevate the floor and I would be more concerned about pushing something else through it as a result. I would prefer my floor to lay flat on the ground (on its proper footprint).

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Have you considered ditching the cot and just sleeping on that pad?
    Would make for faster camp set up, more packing space, less weight on the bike and you'd be able to keep your present tent!
    Actually, I was considering the opposite... ditching the pad and using just the cot. As I understand it, being elevated off the ground brings more insulating factor than laying on the pad on cold ground... even if it is an insulated pad. When my new bag gets here, I plan to make another trial run with just the cot and the new larger bag. We'll see.

Amazon has gratefully refunded my tent purchase, and since the seller no is no longer registered with Amazon they have suggested I keep the old tent, or donate it somewhere. I have since given it to my daughter, as she was looking for a tent this past summer and it suits her needs (she wanted the smaller sleeping bag also - both problems solved). Now I'll give the 3 man tent with the larger door a try.

You may lose body heat thru the cot to the air below without some insulation.
    I use a Go-Kot to keep off the ground.
    I place a survival blanket foil side up on the cot to reflect body heat back into
    my sleeping bag.
    Works for me.
    Cheers,
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

You know.. I was thinking along these lines the other day. A nice motorcycle seat cushion, doubling as a pillow case/cover/pad... then I got to thinking about some of the things my seat cushion would have to endure... and the idea of putting my face up against it at night... and... well... I kinda changed my mind on that idea.
    True. I guess it's similar to the issue people have in the shower that only use one wash cloth. Wash the butt last one day, then the next day it's used to first wash your face.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Actually, I was considering the opposite... ditching the pad and using just the cot. As I understand it, being elevated off the ground brings more insulating factor than laying on the pad on cold ground... even if it is an insulated pad. When my new bag gets here, I plan to make another trial run with just the cot and the new larger bag. We'll see.
    Your understanding is false!
    Ask any Hammock Hanger and they will tell you the need for insulation under them, especially in cooler climatic conditions!
    The air under the cot/hammock robs the body of heat through conductive loss (same as a non insulated air pad/mattress)