Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Re: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

Just got my Cot Max tonight... unboxed it and put it together in less than 5 minutes.
    Very, very nice. Very sturdy... extreemly light weight and the fabric is tight as a drum when assembled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161115_185256667.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	19934

Four cross-beams (for lack of a better term) make it so tight that it could be used like a drum (it actually makes noise when you thump it). And the instructions are silk-screened on the bottom of the cot... so there is nothing to misplace. In truth, I never even looked at the instructions because I saw it assembled so many times on various YouTube videos.

Name:	IMG_20161115_185336390.jpg 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	19935

Leveraging the handles over-center was pretty easy, and I assume it might get even easier with use. Locking mechanisms look to be pretty sturdy... nothing is going to be coming apart while you are sleeping.

Name:	IMG_20161115_185345768.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	19936

Packs up a little larger than I wanted (about 22 x 6.5 inches), but it's the exact same length and diameter as my tent, so I'll probably put them both side-by-side in the same duffel bag and strap that on the rear rack. Repacking was a snap... fit right back in the bag with room to spare (in fact they could have even made the bag a bit smaller if they wanted).

Name:	IMG_20161115_185446661.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	19937 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161115_185902570.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	19938 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161115_185914571.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	19939

I'll take a snooze on it this weekend. And report back again.
    But so far... highly, highly recommended.
    (Just make sure you buy it on sale).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Packs up a little larger than I wanted (about 22 x 6.5 inches), but it's the exact same length and diameter as my tent, so I'll probably put them both side-by-side in the same duffel bag and strap that on the rear rack. Repacking was a snap... fit right back in the bag with room to spare (in fact they could have even made the bag a bit smaller if they wanted).
    Don't you wish tent and pad manufacturers all made the bag big enough so it is easy to put the item back in the bag? Some of them you almost have to stand on them to get it in the bag.

I have a Lightspeed air mattress (best I ever owned, still going strong) that also has a bag that is too large. So large in fact I can put the pillow and thermal blanket in with it.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    I have the cuulz cot as well but it doesn't make the trip with me very often. I use a regular military type cot and cot pad. I found the cuulz a little noisy and I have had a problem with splintering the fiberglass poles on the ends. It takes longer to setup than a regular cot.
    True, it is a bit noisy but i've only really found that to be true when it's on a hard surface, like a tiled or wooden floor. As for the splintering.. the only time I've had that (once) is when the pole wasn't completely inserted into the 'foot' I put mine through some rough treatment on purpose when I got it to ensure it could take it, jumping up and down on it, leaning on the side pole hard, that kind fo thing. The pole that splintered was because I let my son set it up.. I knew right away when he went to get on it that he didn't have the pole all the way in even though I had admonished him about it. I"m a big guy.. at the time I was 265 and he was about the same. I use the poles doubled up and flipped (twisted) on all but the foot and head cross bars and it works pretty good for what I paid for it. I do know that having a mat on top of it would be the bee's knees.. I've set it up for company to sleep on and I throw some blankets on it or a comforter and that just makes it seem awful comfy.

Just got my Cot Max tonight... unboxed it and put it together in less than 5 minutes.
    Very, very nice. Very sturdy... extreemly light weight and the fabric is tight as a drum when assembled.

Name:	IMG_20161115_185256667.jpg 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	19934

Four cross-beams (for lack of a better term) make it so tight that it could be used like a drum (it actually makes noise when you thump it). And the instructions are silk-screened on the bottom of the cot... so there is nothing to misplace. In truth, I never even looked at the instructions because I saw it assembled so many times on various YouTube videos.

Name:	IMG_20161115_185336390.jpg 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	19935

Leveraging the handles over-center was pretty easy, and I assume it might get even easier with use. Locking mechanisms look to be pretty sturdy... nothing is going to be coming apart while you are sleeping.

Name:	IMG_20161115_185345768.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	19936

Name:	IMG_20161115_185446661.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	19937 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161115_185902570.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	19938 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161115_185914571.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	19939

I'll take a snooze on it this weekend. And report back again.
    But so far... highly, highly recommended.
    (Just make sure you buy it on sale).

Jim
    Many times, Jim, you get what you pay for. I tried to cut corners with a Helinox knock-off from Amazon for 80 bucks, and it was a complete disaster.

Congrats on the cot. I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. I need to look at one again myself. Yes, the Klymit Luxe XL Insulated Pad is awesome, but you are still sleeping on the ground. I prefer having a cot under me as well.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

My tent, my cot, my air mattress, my sleeping bag, and my pillow are all assembled in the garage... Tonight, I test.
    Will report back in the morning.

Name:	View From Side Door.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	19960 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Looking Through Roof Mesh.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	19961
    Last edited by JMartin; 11-19-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added Photos

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    True, it is a bit noisy but i've only really found that to be true when it's on a hard surface, like a tiled or wooden floor. As for the splintering.. the only time I've had that (once) is when the pole wasn't completely inserted into the 'foot' I put mine through some rough treatment on purpose when I got it to ensure it could take it, jumping up and down on it, leaning on the side pole hard, that kind fo thing. The pole that splintered was because I let my son set it up.. I knew right away when he went to get on it that he didn't have the pole all the way in even though I had admonished him about it. I"m a big guy.. at the time I was 265 and he was about the same. I use the poles doubled up and flipped (twisted) on all but the foot and head cross bars and it works pretty good for what I paid for it. I do know that having a mat on top of it would be the bee's knees.. I've set it up for company to sleep on and I throw some blankets on it or a comforter and that just makes it seem awful comfy.
    Thanks for that information. I will pay better attention to the poles being fully into the brackets. It is hard when my belly gets in the way, working all the way down there by the ground!

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

My tent, my cot, my air mattress, my sleeping bag, and my pillow are all assembled in the garage... Tonight, I test.
    Will report back in the morning.

Name:	View From Side Door.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	19960 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Looking Through Roof Mesh.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	19961
    This looks to me like you have your camp sleeping well taken care of.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Okay... It's 6:00am... I did it!
    Here are the findings:

Tent:
    I assembled the tent the first day I got it, in the living room, and everything looked good. However upon setting it up this second time, I did discover one more problem with this particular tent (it can be seen in the photo below), there are only three of the necessary four loops stitched into the tent to hang the upper mesh storage pocket. This could be solved with a safety pin, but since the tent is brand new, I brought this to Amazon's attention and they agreed to replace it.

Name:	Missing Loop.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	19962

Sleeping Bag:
    I'm not terribly claustrophobic, but the Teton Tracker +5 bag is just a bit too small for me. I need some space to move around. Trying to zip that thing up with myself inside was difficult, then once sealed inside... ehhhh... just too small. I think I'll find a rectangular bag that gives me more room at the feet, and lets me hang an arm out without having to dislocate my shoulder so that my arm pokes out the opening for my head. It certainly packs nice and small, but at the same cost while using it. This bag might become a hand-me-down to the daughter.

Air Pillow:
    At home I sleep with two pillows every night... a firm pillow on the bottom, and then a memory foam pillow on top of that. I could never sleep with a feather pillow or anything soft like that... I'd want to stack five or six of them up until it was firm. In fact, a big solid chunk of foam-rubber couch cushion would be preferred to a soft pillow any day, but that's just not going to pack well on a motorcycle. So I assumed that an inflatable pillow was going to be the answer. The results... well first I chased that thing around all night. Trying to keep it tucked into the pocket at the top of the sleeping bag, and yet trying to slip an arm or even hand underneath it the way I normally sleep, was impossible. Second, it was like sleeping on a balloon. Knowing that I prefer a firm pillow, I may have just over-inflated it. Once I let some air out and softened it up a little, it wasn't so bad. My daughter had committed to making me a flannel pillowcase for it and I'm sure that will help too.

Air Mattress:
    Same concern with the air mattress... once I let some air out of it, it was more comfortable. It was a bit noisy, as people say, but it pretty much stayed put on the cot and didn't slide or move around much. Of course, neither did I.

Cot:
    I knew that setting up that huge cot inside the tent was going to be a problem. I assumed there was no way to stuff the fully assembled cot in thorough the door, and I also assumed that I would have to partially assemble the cot outside the tent and then somehow fold it in, and then install the spreader bar mechanisms. But I found that I could get the full length bars inside by just pushing them into the opposite corner and then pulling the door frame around the end of the bars. Once inside, and with the cot upside down, I installed the four stretcher bars. Then came the problem... I couldn't flip it over. I had to pull one corner back outside the door and then flip it and shove it back in. It worked, but I'm concerned that constantly stretching the door panel might lead to a rip or some other permanent damage. I'll either have to be real careful doing this each time, or just get a larger tent. The next sized Extreme Tent (the Extreme 3) has tent poles that are another few inches longer when packed, and I'm already at about 20 inches and the tent is my largest piece on the bike already, so i may have to do some more research.

Overall Experience:
    Not a terrible night's sleep. I woke up once in the middle of the night, and then again at 5:00am (as I always do), and then I got up at my usual 6:00am. Was I rested? No. But much of this is because I am also starting to come down with the Cold that my son and daughter have had for the past week or so. The runny nose started last night... so it's inevitable. But I'm pretty good at staving these things off, so it shouldn't last long.

I can recommend each of these products for their intended use. Especially that ridiculously expensive cot... it is very well built and makes a world of difference just getting you up off the ground. Even the sleeping bag is well built, kept me warm, and has no other concerns, except for my personal desire for more room inside it. We'll see about the pillow on the long term, but I expect the proper pillow case will help.

So there's my two cents...

Jim

We'll see about the pillow on the long term, but I expect the proper pillow case will help.
    Just throwing this out there. One of my riding buddies uses his Air Hawk seat cushion as his pillow. Not sure if you use an Air Hawk, but if you do, having dual use equipment might save you some space.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    Just throwing this out there. One of my riding buddies uses his Air Hawk seat cushion as his pillow. Not sure if you use an Air Hawk, but if you do, having dual use equipment might save you some space.
    You know.. I was thinking along these lines the other day. A nice motorcycle seat cushion, doubling as a pillow case/cover/pad... then I got to thinking about some of the things my seat cushion would have to endure... and the idea of putting my face up against it at night... and... well... I kinda changed my mind on that idea.