Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Helinox Cot Max for my upcoming motorcycle camping adventures.

In truth, I did find it on sale for 25% off, but really... even $299.99 for a camping cot... this had better be good. I have seen many reviews on YouTube and other places that claim the Helinox Cots are the dogs paws, so when it went on sale, I decided it would become the last piece of my sleeping gear.

The plan is, to put my Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe Air Mattress, my Teton Tracker +5 Ultralight Sleeping Bag, and my Camp Solutions Inflatable Pillow, and my newly reduced 225 pound body (30 down and 10 to go) inside my Alps Mountaineering Extreem 2 Tent, and try to get a good nights sleep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleeping Plan.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	19924

It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I think I'll spend a night in the garage and see how it goes.
    I'll report back here (probably no sooner than next weekend), so stay tuned, and wish me happy dreams.

[Advice, suggestions, experiences and comments welcome]

Jim

Re: This had better be worth $399.99... (Helinox Cot Max)

I saw one at Run With The Wolf at Two Wheels this year. Very nice cot!
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Looks like you have selected a winning combination.
    I use a GoCot with a Cabellas sleeping bag and no mattress. It works fine for me.
    I'm going to look into the Camp Solution Pillow. Could be a good Christmas present.
    Cheers, David C.
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    ... I'm going to look into the Camp Solution Pillow. Could be a good Christmas present.
    Cheers, David C.
    Yeah, I just couldn't swallow the $40+ for a Sea to Summit pillow, even though it looks nice. The one I got appears to be very well built and has a two-way air valve just like the more expensive manufacturers do. I'll have my wife/daughter make up a flannel pillowcase that can also act as the pack bag for the pillow... that should bring it home nicely.

I have to say that the mesh bag that came with this pillow is outstanding! unlike the wispy net bag that came with the Camp Chef Stove.
    Along those lines, I bought a Tarp and rolled it up but could't decide how to keep it wrapped tightly and organized... then it hit me... stuff it in a heavy sock. Works perfect and just in case... I have an extra sock!

I gave up cots when the Helinox clone I bought from Amazon failed a few months ago when I camped on less than perfectly level ground. I also have a Klymit Static Luxe V (in the Insulated version) sleeping pad and it was nice when used with the cot, but the cot collapsed when the legs bent from the 2 or 3 degree incline I was camped on. I'm only 195 lbs so it was not a weight issue. The clone had snap on plastic legs that just could not take any twisting or less-than-perfect terrain.

However, I'm sure a genuine Helinox and not a clone knock-off will do you just fine. They are not cheap, but a good night's sleep is worth it. I do miss having a cot and I may bite the bullet for one as well next season.

The only camp sleeping products (Knockoffs) I have been happy with that are not name brand expensive are an Amazon Neck Pillow (I bought two they were so inexpensive) that I like very much and that packs so tiny it's ridiculous. This is a knockoff of the Sea to Summit Pillow. Also, I have a a 32 degree sleeping bag in a decently small stuff sack. Note that this sleeping bag is just fine but if you are over about 220 lbs you will not fit in it WIDTH wise. It's plenty long, just narrow. The bag has a built in pillow case, so it works great for my needs and the Sea to Summit knock-off pillow fits in the case nicely. I tend to camp with a tent heater so it never gets below about 50 degrees in my tent, so a 32 degree bag is plenty warm for me.

Pillow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I pull a trailer behind my old 85 Goldwing GL1200... Tent wise I have an Ozark Trails 9x10x6 instant tent and I sleep in a 22" high AirBed... Very comfortable... and easy to get up from...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160802_091412.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	19926

I like that Klymit pad.. just a little rich for me. I bought a cot years ago from Luxurylite cots.. but it's not the one with the aluminum poles and the round feet.. mine has fiberglass poles and has plastic tubular 'feet' for it. I paid about 100 bucks for it and it can be either a lounger, a chair or a table. Doesn't pack as small but it's versatile. Can't remember the name of it now.. doesn't seem like anyone sells them any more.

EDIT I found it. Someone does still sell it, for a little more. It's called a Cuulz cot. http://www.campsaver.com/cuulz-bed-kit
    Last edited by kaitiff; 11-15-2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: new info

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    I like that Klymit pad.. just a little rich for me...
    I was thinking the same thing when I bought it (on sale for $99.99 if I remember correctly - I try not to pay list price for anything), but at the time, I wasn't even considering a Cot... just the Air Mattress, so I spent a little more money there. In hindsight, if I knew I was going to do the Cot thing, then just a simple, non insulated Air Mattress would have been fine.

In all the reading and YouTube watching that I've done while preparing for my touring, I keep hearing the same thing... "get a good nights rest."
    Problem is... I've been sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic California King Adjustable bed for the last few years... and I've gotten spoiled.
    Hopefully the fresh air, forest sounds, and reduced stress of being out on the open road will help.
    (Boy did that sound like it came out of a campground brochure ).

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Hopefully the fresh air, forest sounds, and reduced stress of being out on the open road will help.
    (Boy did that sound like it came out of a campground brochure ).
    Yes, but it is so true!

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    I like that Klymit pad.. just a little rich for me. I bought a cot years ago from Luxurylite cots.. but it's not the one with the aluminum poles and the round feet.. mine has fiberglass poles and has plastic tubular 'feet' for it. I paid about 100 bucks for it and it can be either a lounger, a chair or a table. Doesn't pack as small but it's versatile. Can't remember the name of it now.. doesn't seem like anyone sells them any more.

EDIT I found it. Someone does still sell it, for a little more. It's called a Cuulz cot. http://www.campsaver.com/cuulz-bed-kit
    I have the cuulz cot as well but it doesn't make the trip with me very often. I use a regular military type cot and cot pad. I found the cuulz a little noisy and I have had a problem with splintering the fiberglass poles on the ends. It takes longer to setup than a regular cot.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter