Thread: Consignment Ideas

Consignment Ideas

This summer I'll be returning to the US for a long ride around the SW. I'll need to buy a bike upon arrival and then hope to resell it after the trip. Because of time and not wanting to burden a family member, I'm looking for a dealer, or someone, who will consign the bike. I can start/end my trip in either the LA area or Houston and would like someone in those areas. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Consignment Ideas

Eagleriders has a location in LA. They rent touring bikes: http://www.eaglerider.com/locations
    Depending on how long you are going to be here, it may be worth your while to rent one.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
    Eagleriders has a location in LA. They rent touring bikes: http://www.eaglerider.com/locations
    Depending on how long you are going to be here, it may be worth your while to rent one.
    Thanks for the reply. I've considered renting, but since I plan to ride for 2 1/2 months, it would be much cheaper to rent.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Sounds like a great idea. I would stick with the big dealers and buy and cosign to sell it with them, keeping in mind that they want their profit on both ends. The flip side is trying to sell it yourself in a fire sale at the end of the ride.

You might do well with a motorcycle specific forum. We had a couple come from Australia and one of the forum members purchased and prepared a 1500cc Goldwing for their arrival. The trip was a two part adventure, which started out in Washington State, with someone storing the bike for them in Pennsylvania and the couple returning the following year and swept the south end of the USA and they ended their trip in Phoenix where another forum member took possession of the bike and sold it for them. That is quite a bit of coordination, all arranged on the GWOF. Gold Wing Owners Forum.

Accessories came from everywhere by participating forum members. I provided a headset for one of their helmets.

Of course, this would only work if one developed online relationships with other forum members.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Where are you coming back from?

I always have good luck with Wild West Motoplex just outside of Houston. They use to sell on consignment but it been a few years since I asked. You might give them a call.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”