Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hocking Hills - Old Man's Cave Camp OHIO

Tent Hocking Hills - Old Man's Cave Camp OHIO

Hi Guys.

Just got back from a Three night Moto-Camp in the Hocking Hills of Southern Ohio. The Old Man's Cave area is spectacular, and the hiking trails and camping are superior. The State Park (Hocking Hills) is one of the finest State Parks I have EVER had the pleasure of camping at. Well run, well maintained, and even the showers/bathrooms look more like something you'd see in a Hotel rather than a campsite. Hocking Hills State Park has a really nice camp store, and an amazing restaurant if you want to dine rather than cook. It's 1 mile from the campground.

This week brought FREAKISHLY warm temps along with Halloween. Wednesday hit 82 degrees. I tested out a new 4 man tent (9 x 9 Raised Wall with nearly 5' center height so plenty of room for two plus a lot of gear). I also tested out a new ultralight rain fly for the picnic table and ultralight pitching poles. And finally, a new hammock. Good lord guys, why didn't I start camping with a hammock sooner? This thing was 20 bucks at Amazon, packs super small, and holds 300 lbs. Talk about COMFORT. It's like taking a LazyBoy recliner camping with you. I spent 70 percent of my time in it during the day and slept until 3 AM one night in it as I fell asleep listening to the World Series and only woke up because I needed to use the bathroom.

There were about 3 other campers in my area of about 50 campsites. I don't like it when it's deserted, and don't like it when there are tons of other people around. Just a few other campers sprinkled in makes it perfect for me. It really was perfect. You don't get many camping days and nights like this. Skin temperature, no humidity, no biting bugs, and Fall color. NICE.

Route 664 from Logan, Ohio to Old MAn's Cave is a 12 mile twisty hilly ride and it's a fun ride. I took 664 from Route 256 in central Ohio near Pleasantville all the way to the park, so I had about 50 miles of the twisties.

Some Pics;

Just getting to camp on my classic 1982 Honda GL-500 Silverwing Interstate (yep, twisted V Motor!) I love this bike;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161101_142502.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	19889

New Tent Kmart Northwest Territory 9 x 9 Raised Wall packs super small yet is big enough for two with gear (on sale for $38.99)
    Tent has rear window, Electric Cord Port, Gear Loft, Foot Lockers (two), and Ground Vents on two sides;

Name:	IMG_20161102_153441.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	19890

New Hammock 20 buck special from Amazon. I'm in love! Slept in it one night by accident until 3 AM. Just TOO comfy and packs SUPER small. For 20 bucks it's a steal and it will hold 300 lbs. You can see one of the ground vents staked out on the side of the tent in this shot, and the electric cord port on the tent;

Name:	IMG_20161102_153130.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	19891

Relaxing in the Hammock - just past peak color but still nice, especially at 82 degrees and no Mosquitoes. Frost must have killed them;

Name:	IMG_20161102_121318.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	19892

New Rain Fly Ultra Light Small packing for Picnic table shade and rain cover. Also new ultralight telescopic poles;

Name:	IMG_20161102_153204.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	19893

With the new tent, I have room to set this Sunyear camp chair (half the price of Helinox and works just as well) and Coleman Footstool up in the tent. Nice if it rains. I use furniture rubber foot pads under the legs to prevent sinking into ground or hurting tent floor. The chair holds 300 lbs and packs tiny. Same with the Coleman stool (that is sold as a camp seat);

Name:	IMG_20161102_153508.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	19894

Dinner with Out-D stove, windscreen, collapsible Coffee mug and Cup. On the menu that night, Beef Stroganoff with Apple Crisp for desert (all dehydrated but delicious);

Name:	IMG_20161102_153658_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	19895
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Re: Hocking Hills - Old Man's Cave Camp OHIO

Tell us about the tarp an poles .please

Thanks for the campground review etc. Nice bike!
    Craig
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate Darksider
    2014 Mini Mate

Is there a nice river or lake to go kayaking in nearby? Sounds like a nice place! Thanx for the review!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by rondarider View Post
    Tell us about the tarp an poles .please
    Tarp and Poles came from Amazon. The Poles fold down like tent poles and are "shock-corded" so they just pop together, and the top section has a slide out section that locks with a set screw and knob. They can get pretty tall, I''d say around 8 feet or so fully extended. But collapsed they can fit in my duffel pack bag (28" long), not my hard luggage as that's too small to fit the poles - just like regular tent poles. They come two in a travel sack so you just buy one UNIT and get two poles. The tarp is classified as a rain fly but most use it for a tarp and this model is popular for Hammock campers to fly over the Hammock for weather protection. It's 10 x 10 and very lightweight material, yet strong. I've had it in pretty ripping bad windstorms and it stood up. It has good grommets and well attached black straps. The tarp comes with all the cord and anchors you need in a small travel sack. Nothing else to buy.

Buy the tarp and the pole set and you are up and running just like in my picture, as I said, no cord or anchors to buy - and the anchors are actually pretty rugged unlike some that come with tents and tarps that are like wire coat hangers. I bent one but I was pretty rough on it.

All the particulars and specs are on the Amazon site for each. See the links provided;

POLES: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TARP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-3Sport

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    Is there a nice river or lake to go kayaking in nearby? Sounds like a nice place! Thanx for the review!
    Heck yes. The area is known for canoe/kayak trips down the streams and rivers and into Lake Logan. I've even Canoed it (when I owned a Canoe about 10 years ago).

One link: http://www.hockinghillscanoeing.com/kayak.html

Google Hocking Hills Kayak or Hocking Hills Canoe and you should find many hits.

-3Sport

(Threadstarter)

The hiking trails are actually quite amazing in the area.

Here is a short vid of "The Devil's Bathtub" hiking area;

The Kmart Northwest Territory 9 x 9 Raised Wall tent is now $34.99. So I grabbed one on your recommendation. It is certainly a bargain. The inside dimensions are actually 7x7x9 across the front. It is not square or even rectangular. The 9 ft dimension they advertise included the gear lockers on either side of the front door. The seams on the tent are not sealed. But the seams on the smallish rain fly are. More room inside than my 5x7 Eureka, a little more complicated to set up since it has sleeves across the top instead of all clips like the Eureka, and it packs a bit larger. But still it fits in my GL1800 saddlebags or across the back of the trunk.

(Threadstarter)

Interesting. I have their 9 x 7 "3 Person" Tent and upgraded to this "4 Person" raised wall and I definitely have more space inside. And not just because of the raised walls. It's bigger length and width and height. So their 9 x 7 probably only was 8 x 6 or similar. I just never measured it.

Well, whatever the dimensions, I am very happy with it. Even the packing case is decent, unlike their other models that use flimsy thin nylon, this case is like a cordura material. Also, I relaly like the AC Port slot and the bottom vents. And the foot lockers I had on my old Northwest, so they are a nice thing to STILL have. I bought a stuff sack and can actually get the tent packed up in about 2/3 of the size of the travel case, but the case is not that huge so may not use the stuff sack.

For the money, these Northwest tents are aces. I had my last one for over 7 years and beat the tar out of it and it finally started to wear thin on the rainfly and one of the poles splintered. But I only paid 20 bucks for it 7 years ago so it was a major bargain!

BTW, for this price, I'm buying another one for use when this one wears out. This is an older model and when they are gone on blowout sale pricing, they are GONE.

-3Sport

(Threadstarter)

Aloha!

If anyone is interested, Scioto Trails State Park is near Hocking Hills State Park and is very nice, although not in the same category as Hocking Hills. I do like the tent area at Scioto Trails and always get the campsite right next to the Log Cabin School House (this is just for show not for touring) because there is a water faucet there! Hard to find water faucets in Scioto Trails. Hocking has more of them. I'm mentioning this in case Hocking Hills is chock full and you want a nice state park fairly close (about 43 miles and a beautiful ride).

Link to Scioto Trails: http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/sciototrail

BTW, this WAS my old Northwest Territory 3 person dome. WAY smaller than the tent above. This one is a 7 footer with about 14" less in height. I camped with this tent for 7 years of HEAVY camping. Glad to have the new one pictured above.

Name:	oldTent.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	22009

The Log Cabin School House at Scioto Trails State Park next to my campsite.

Name:	logcamp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	22010

Mahalo!