Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuwave Induction Cooktop

Nuwave Induction Cooktop

This is my new favorite camping gadget:

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-PIC-30...eywords=nuwave

A friend gave it to me for Christmas two years ago, but we didn't start camping with it until this year. It does require that we stay on an electrical site, but since my husband uses a CPAP machine, we try to seek out electrical sites anyway. The Nuwave Cooktop heats up FAST. Almost as good as a microwave. It doesn't take up much room either. Fits nicely in one of the two storage boxes that ride in the basement of the Aspen Classic. Since it's induction and cool to the touch, it should be pretty safe to use inside a camper or tent, if the weather was bad. I'm a campstove gear junkie, and probably have at least six different types. So far this is my favorite.

Re: Nuwave Induction Cooktop

Will any metal pan work on this cooktop?

Cookware suited for use with induction cookers, from the extreme high-quality end down to thrift-store modest, is readily available; but if you already have a stock of mostly expensive aluminum or copper or glass or pyrex cookware and little or no cast iron or stainless, you might be up for a cookware investment. it only works with cooking vessels made of magnetic materials. The commonest such materials used for cooking vessels are stainless steel and cast iron.
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 55,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    Cookware suited for use with induction cookers, from the extreme high-quality end down to thrift-store modest, is readily available; but if you already have a stock of mostly expensive aluminum or copper or glass or pyrex cookware and little or no cast iron or stainless, you might be up for a cookware investment. it only works with cooking vessels made of magnetic materials. The commonest such materials used for cooking vessels are stainless steel and cast iron.
    I picked up a new cast aluminum Dutch Oven (without legs) that I though would be great because of its weight. I have seen a few infomercials on these but, didn't pay enough attention as to what they cooked with other than metal pans. The cooktop looks like it would be good to camp with at elect sites for sure. I just don't know how efficient the cast aluminum would be on this cooktop.

I carry three pots/pans when camping: An old enamelware stockpot (for cooking food, heating water, washing dishes), a small enamelware pot, and a newer non-stick frying pan. Everything nests, and all work on the Nuwave. The induction non-stick frying pan is the only thing I bought special, and it wasn't expensive. Liked it so much for camping that I bought another one for home:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Edited: Wow! It went up $6 while I was sitting here looking at it. Darn Amazon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    . I just don't know how efficient the cast aluminum would be on this cooktop.
    To use induction cooking..it has to be made of a magnetic material...aluminum does not have magnetic properties and will not work..

Enamelware is glass coated castiron or steel...magnetic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nette View Post
    I carry three pots/pans when camping: An old enamelware stockpot (for cooking food, heating water, washing dishes), a small enamelware pot, and a newer non-stick frying pan. Everything nests, and all work on the Nuwave. The induction non-stick frying pan is the only thing I bought special, and it wasn't expensive. Liked it so much for camping that I bought another one for home:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Edited: Wow! It went up $6 while I was sitting here looking at it. Darn Amazon.)
    I like the looks of that pan. It looks like it has a steel insert in the bottom to make it induction worthy and transfer the heat to the aluminum pan. I wonder if a flat thin piece of steel on the cooktop with the Dutch oven on top of that would fool the cooktop and allow you to use most any pot or pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    I like the looks of that pan. It looks like it has a steel insert in the bottom to make it induction worthy and transfer the heat to the aluminum pan. I wonder if a flat thin piece of steel on the cooktop with the Dutch oven on top of that would fool the cooktop and allow you to use most any pot or pan?
    I doubt just have the steel close would be enough. On the above pan, the steel is fused to the aluminum for better heat transfer...not an expert...But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express!

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    it only works with cooking vessels made of magnetic materials. The commonest such materials used for cooking vessels are stainless steel and cast iron.
    The majority of stainless steel is not magnetic. I inherited a very nice set of steel clad when my brother upgraded his kitchen and put in a new induction cooktop. Works just beautifullyon my old and slow gas cooktop.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

You can buy a steel plate that sits on the induction cooktop and then sit your Pyrex or aluminum on that. The plate heats up, and transfers the heat to the pot/pan you are using. These work very well, I've had one for a long time.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn