Thread: Car trip to Denver

Car trip to Denver

Wife and I are planning a trip to Albuquerque via Denver and I was thinking of taking rt 36 through IL, MO and KS. Has anyone ridden this rt through these states. Leaving Nov 1st. Comments?
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Re: Car trip to Denver

I have been on Hwy 36 in Colorado and Kansas. Not much traffic. Generally just the locals and farm to market trucks. Surface is in good shape. It goes through a lot of small towns. Open vistas of farm country. East of Denver you can start to see the mountains and early in the morning it is a beautiful sight. Have fun.

I have on my bike. Twice. From my Ohio home, I jumped on 36 in Urbana. The reason Colorado is not on my map for moto-camping is that it was miserable weather when I toured that area and I stayed in Motels rather than camp. But I know that road fairly well. I stayed in "Mom and Pop" Motels mostly. One (about 100 miles past Hannibal, MO if memory serves) actually had a Black and White TV in the room! I'm serious! This was just before TV went "Digital" and the set got a whopping three stations. Something like that. It was a blast from the past. But again if memory serves, the room was around $35 a night so no complaints.

Like Tenacious stated, 36 is generally a good touring road. Not too much traffic. When I rode it, the road surface was in good shape, some construction for about 20 miles total here and there. There are some stretches in the deep Midwest where the road is FLAT and STRAIGHT with nothing but farm land to look at for miles and miles and is somewhat tedious driving. But there are small towns and cities that you will cruise through so it breaks the monotony. IMO, it's better than taking I-70. Longer, but more fun and way more laid back.

When you finally see the Rockies rising above the Midwestern plains it's a sight to behold. Beautiful. At first, from a great distance, you may think that the mountains are clouds on the horizon. But they don't move and the closer you get, the larger they get. You can imagine that the first settlers traveling wagon train must have been in awe when they saw these mountains growing in size as they trekked Westward for weeks at a snail's pace compared to today.

I've also ridden from Denver to Albuquerque and have Fly Fished that area quite a bit. Some gorgeous country you will pass through! You may wish to stop in Colorado Springs if you take that route South. Tour "Garden of the Gods", "The Olympic Training Center" "Pike's Peak" and "The Broadmoor" Hotel. If you happen to be in Colorado Springs on Sunday morning, you should seriously consider doing Sunday Brunch at the Broadmoor. It's been hailed as the finest Sunday Brunch in the U.S. for a reason. Blew me away. Worth the cost.

Enjoy the trip. I think you have chosen a good road and a nice route to Colorado from Ohio.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for the feedback.

We've driven to Albuquerque several times, my sister and niece live there, so we're always trying to find new routes from Ohio. I70 would probably be quicker but I thought 36 might be more interesting if the road was decent.

After Denver we were going to try to go to Durango. Already took Denver to ABQ last year so I thought we'd try to go through Durango this time if the weather is OK. Then on to ABQ.

If I was in "I gotta' get there as fast as possible" mode, for sure, I-70 would be my route. But I think you will enjoy 36 much more. I've done Denver to Columbus via I-70 so many times via automobile that I don't wish to do it any longer. Even the thought of that drive gives me chills. I'm burned out on that route. In the early 2000's, I had an account in Salina, Kansas and I'd frequently drive Columbus to Salina and then I'd bop on over to Denver for the weekend, and then back to Columbus on Monday. It's just a tedious drive for me, especially through Kansas and flatland areas like that. Southwest flies nonstop CMH to DEN now and it's just cheaper to fly than drive. In fact, I just flew that a few weeks ago and then on to Las Vegas and Lake Havasu, AZ via rental car just because I wanted to drive that area.

I don't think you will be disappointed with 36. Let us know how it goes.

-3Sport

EDIT: BTW, I loved riding and touring the Durango area on my bike. If I were going to live in Colorado, I'd seriously consider Durango. It was poor weather when I rode it (again, Motel stays not camping), but I'd go back in a heartbeat. I think you'll really like Durango if you have never been there before.

Just drove 36 (most of it) last year. It"s probably the most interesting road across Kansas. I just grit my teeth and cross it non-stop.(other than gas). There's not much better choice (in my opinion) unless you can go way north of there.
    RIDE TO LIVE !

I live in Mo. and find 36 GREAT low traffic, nice road and its nicer ride or drive than I-70.

Have used it to go to Chicago several times. Dusty posted a great, free campground south of Macon Mo.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Yup .... US 36 is my fav route across the 'Heartland'!
    Other than a small section of Interstate (I 72) from Springfield to MO state line, the rest is not very well travelled. US 36 across MO is 4 lane, but not busy. The rest of 36 across KS is just a 2 lane black top that goes through a bunch of sleepy little towns!

US 36 across MO, west of Macon

Beside the free campground Mike referred to south of Macon, MO ... there is another nice free one (amoung others) in KS at St Francis, just before CO
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg