Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska, almost solo

Alaska, almost solo

I too would like to ride to Prudhoe bay. My problem is my wife doesn't like me riding solo in risky areas anymore and I HATE to ride with ANYONE. Some day I will set out for the long ride north. No long-term group planning around someone else's schedule, daily distance, rest schedules, etc.... When I get near remote areas like the haul road or Dawson high way I can hook up with others for the few days In the danger zone. There must be other solo riders with the same idea. John
    KISS

Re: Alaska, almost solo

You won't be alone on the haul road . There are the most motorcycles in AK in the summer than I have ever seen . Hooking up with someone may be ok but what if they think there skill leval is better than yours . The only advice I can give you is find dirt roads and 2 tracks at home and ride them until you are ok with hanging the a$$ end out in a corner . If you are going 2 up you will be rideing on crushed rock on the Alcan in construction zones . I would do it again in a heart beat 9600 miles in 33 days .

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I live in the north woods a half mile from the nearest road, I have dirt experience daily, ride a proven 1000 cc dual sport, am a mechanic, MSF instructor etc .in a 5 minute face to face conversation both sides can figure out if they are compatible. my plan is to stay on the roads with traffic.

Come on up. Hang out at the UAF dorms for a bit and you will meet other riders for the ride up the Dalton. They rent rooms during the summer, there was 25+ bikes there when we did it. Adventure Rider's Alaska page is a good place to meet up. For doing the Dempster you can meet riders at Dust to Dawson in Dawson City, there will be 200+ riders there.
    I believe your in Michigan, I will be back in my home state in a few weeks. I am flying back to see family south of Lansing then heading to St. Ignace. Maybe we can get together for a coffee?
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

As to road conditions. Driving the Alcan is the conditions vary year to year. This year the Alcan in the BC portion was was the worst shape I have seen it in ten years. Part of the reason it was rough due to to all the oil and gas rigs in the recent years, but with the low gas prices that traffic has fallen off. This year the Cassiar was in the best shape I have seen. In the northern highways the roads are Chip seal and they can be dangerous for bikes. They put the chips on heavy and as the traffic drives on the road the excess chips build up on the edges, you need to stay out of the thick excess. The chip seal roads seem to wear out tires quicker than Asphalt so start your trip with new tires. Tires can be found up here but $$$
    As to getting gas plan on having a range of 170 miles or so. in most places there is fuel closer than that but sometimes roadhouses will be closed. I am riding an 1800 wing pulling a RAH camper and I travel these roads without having to use any extra fuel. I carry an MSR 30 oz. fuel bottle (my 10 mile jug)
    My normal fuel stops are:
    Dawson Creek
    Pink Mountain, 140 mi
    Fort Nelson, 140 mi
    Toad River, 117 mi
    Muncho Lake, Home of the most expensive gas, it's 170 miles to Watson Lake. There are stops in between but I don't count on them being open.
    Watson Lake
    Teslin, 162 mi
    Whitehorse, 110 mi
    Haines Junction, 100 mi
    Destruction Bay, 66 mi
    Beaver Creek, 116 mi.
    Tok, 110 mi
    Delta Junction, 107 mi
    Fairbanks, 95 mi

On the Cassiar the gas stops are:
    At the south end, Junction with highway 16
    Meziadin Junction, 98 mi
    Bell 2 Lodge, 58 mi
    Dease Lake, 150 mi
    Junction 37, 150 mi at this point you join the Alcan about 13 miles west of Watson Lake

In most of the northern areas your cell will not work. If you have $$ buy or rent a sat phone if not get a spot tracker and your loved ones can follow along at home.
    So it's a ride that is possible for just about any bike, no change that to any bike. In my 2 dozen+ trips on the Alcan I have seen everything from 49cc scooters to Groups of Goldwingers to a group of Hells Angels. Come on up, it will be an adventure. If you have questions ask away and I will try to help you out.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Pm sent

reply sent.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

John as others have said there are plenty of bikes on the Haul Road, I don't think it would be a problem finding someone to ride up with. To be honest, I have to say that the northernmost part of the Alcan before Alaska was almost as bad as the Dalton. When we got there it was pouring rain and they just couldn't keep up with it. We were really dreading riding it back down to the Cassiar, but the road crews had it in good shape on the way back.

I don't think with your skills and experience that you will have a problem with this ride. I know the wives often worry when we take these types of trips, well I don't know if mine cares, she just tells everyone that asks her I'm crazy. You might invest in or rent a spot tracker if that would make her feel more at ease. I've been twice, my buddy I went with told me he would like to go back and spend at least a month in Alaska as it's hard to see it all if you want to do much exploring. You can be riding along one of the main roads out in the middle of nowhere and see a small side road that has 20 mailboxes lined up in a row. Small communities like this are the things you often miss if you are on a schedule.

It will be a few years, but I can't wait to get back to Alaska!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks ziggy. I have a spot and my wife loves it. I just moved the spot into my hunting gear. I'm confident that my skills are adequate, it's mostly my wife's concerns. When I do this ride, I'll buy her a round trip air ticket, rent a rv for 2 weeks, see what we can together, then return home via individual travel styles. She is up for that. John

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I am moving this thread to trip planning. John