Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contemplating Mid January - Mid March Gulf Coast Moto-Camp instead of Hawaii

Re: Contemplating Mid January - Mid March Gulf Coast Moto-Camp instead of Hawaii

While they are not free, here a few parks that along your gulf coast route:

Topsail Hill State Park, Destin Fl
    Buccaneer State Park, Waveland MS
    Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville, LA

I am sure there are many more, but these come to mind.
    ----------------------------
    Johnny

(Threadstarter)

Re: Contemplating Mid January - Mid March Gulf Coast Moto-Camp instead of Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_swindle View Post
    While they are not free, here a few parks that along your gulf coast route:

Topsail Hill State Park, Destin Fl
    Buccaneer State Park, Waveland MS
    Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville, LA

I am sure there are many more, but these come to mind.
    Many thanks! I do need to break up the free primitive camps with full service camps with showers and toilets. Some parks offer discounts (I do have a Florida License) to state residents. I'll definitely check those out.

The trip is really starting to shape up and It's looking like I will actually attempt this. Should be fun if it becomes reality.

You gents have been very generous with your help. Much appreciated.

The issue now is, do I rent a temporary storage facility in Florida (my home there is rented out until March so no where to keep the bike until January) and get the bike down there now before the snow flies, OR, do I try and ride down in January - weather permitting. I've ridden from Ohio to Florida before in January. Yes, it's frigid until southern Georgia. Might bite the bullet and ride down soon and rent a storage facility for the bike and essential gear.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I've done trips to Florida in the non-summer time. End of October, no problem weather wise. November , just after Thanksgiving. Snow flurries through north part of Georgia. December, flexible time frame to hit decent weather - no problem. March, took off in 27 degree weather with snow flurries but sun burn by the time I hit SW Florida. The November trip rented storage unit just out of Orlando airport. Flew down a month later and spent the winter. Worked out well and price was not bad. Did the same when I returned to Indiana first of March. Flew back end of April to get the bike.

Decent no $$ camping hard to find in Florida. Myakka State Park near Sarasota interesting place for a couple of days. As well as Fort De Soto Park in St Pete. Great place to kayak. Nice county park just south of Mt. Dora but don't remember the price. Ocala National Forest has some nice campgrounds but around $25.00 night if I remember right.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRon View Post
    I've done trips to Florida in the non-summer time. End of October, no problem weather wise. November , just after Thanksgiving. Snow flurries through north part of Georgia. December, flexible time frame to hit decent weather - no problem. March, took off in 27 degree weather with snow flurries but sun burn by the time I hit SW Florida. The November trip rented storage unit just out of Orlando airport. Flew down a month later and spent the winter. Worked out well and price was not bad. Did the same when I returned to Indiana first of March. Flew back end of April to get the bike.

Decent no $$ camping hard to find in Florida. Myakka State Park near Sarasota interesting place for a couple of days. As well as Fort De Soto Park in St Pete. Great place to kayak. Nice county park just south of Mt. Dora but don't remember the price. Ocala National Forest has some nice campgrounds but around $25.00 night if I remember right.
    I hear that, Ron. I've done similar. This time I'm riding the GL-500 Interstate Silverwing rather than the Triumph. Actually, my Triumph, being a Sport-Tour, has fairly poor fairing design and a very low (almost useless) windscreen, so I took more of the wind on that bike than I'll take in my Honda GL-500 Interstate. Being an early "Silverwing", the Honda has a good fairing and large windscreen out front. And the Twisted V Twin with the cyls to the side keep your legs warm (like a Moto guzzi). It's why I bought the bike. I love the look of a twisted V engine.

I'm leaning towards getting the bike down there sooner rather than later. I'll monitor the weather, and if I see a stretch of 70 degree "Indian Summer" days in the next few weeks here in Ohio, I'll just pack up and head south. I already found a facility near my home down there that I can rent until the renters of my home get out in March. Then I can move the bike there until May when I ride it back north. Riding down in January is really rugged. You just never know. Run into a patch of snow when it's 20 degrees and the roads can turn ugly fast. Not to mention 20 degree temps on a motorcycle are rugged enough by themselves without adding precipitation to the mix.

-3Sport