Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first motocamping season

Re: My first motocamping season

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    One of the things I hate of my RAH is that you need level ground. They don't have corner leveling jacks. The whole design is baed on unfolding on level ground. Sure you can use some wheel chocks to raise a tire or a few flat rocks for the tongue. But the trailer rests on it's axle and the unfolded roof (that is 4'x6' flat). You ain't setting one up on the side of the hill! I hate the set-up accommodations needed but the size, simplicity and beauty of a RAH keeps it behind my bike, or if not there in my garage.
    I didn't know that, thanks! Do you think leveling jacks could be added? I agree, it is a beautiful trailer!
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

How about some other RAH owners post up their options on setup. What they dislike about there tent campers.
    Privateer, where do you winter camp for the winter months. What a journey you've decided on.

Quote Originally Posted by Samoanrich View Post
    How about some other RAH owners post up their options on setup. What they dislike about there tent campers.
    Privateer, where do you winter camp for the winter months. What a journey you've decided on.
    I'd like to hear from the RAH owners too. I'm either getting a new Time Out Deluxe, or a new RAH Wide, or a Roadman. Or just chucking it all for a Kodiak Canvas tent and cargo trailer. I can walk into a Kodiak Canvas tent, dress in it standing up, put a cot or queen/king air mattress in it, and so it would work great.

Winter camp starts in South Carolina. Ends up in deep south Florida. Then comes back to Inverness FL area in April. Then I'm off to a rally in Arkansas the end of April wearing heated gear, then off to California wearing heated gear and probably the rain suit a lot, and then Idaho, same gear, then Monterey again for a few days, then back east to MO for the COG National. By then the weather starts warming up nicely usually.

From Monterey CA to Ozarks in MO for National, I won't have a lot of time, so will use a tent cot to fast camp. It fits flat in the bag on top of the trailer nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    In the next few months Moto-Camper events will be posted
    here. Please try to join us.
    I will be interested in any motocamping events in the north central states. Getting back into motorcycles and camping this past couple years.

I'm planning a trip to Mount Rushmore (not during Sturgis Ralley) and over to Washington state, up to northern British Columbia and back on the YellowHead route next summer (July)

--
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    I will be interested in any motocamping events in the north central states. Getting back into motorcycles and camping this past couple years.

I'm planning a trip to Mount Rushmore (not during Sturgis Ralley) and over to Washington state, up to northern British Columbia and back on the YellowHead route next summer (July)

--
    Gordon
    Good deal! Sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    I'd like to hear from the RAH owners too. I'm either getting a new Time Out Deluxe, or a new RAH Wide, or a Roadman. Or just chucking it all for a Kodiak Canvas tent and cargo trailer. I can walk into a Kodiak Canvas tent, dress in it standing up, put a cot or queen/king air mattress in it, and so it would work great.

Winter camp starts in South Carolina. Ends up in deep south Florida. Then comes back to Inverness FL area in April. Then I'm off to a rally in Arkansas the end of April wearing heated gear, then off to California wearing heated gear and probably the rain suit a lot, and then Idaho, same gear, then Monterey again for a few days, then back east to MO for the COG National. By then the weather starts warming up nicely usually.

From Monterey CA to Ozarks in MO for National, I won't have a lot of time, so will use a tent cot to fast camp. It fits flat in the bag on top of the trailer nicely.
    I have a RAH standard, The basic set up is the same as the wide in that the top opens up and becomes the hard floor of the dressing area. As to issues setting it up I have used it about 40 nights and have not had any issues with getting it level. I carry 4 small 4 x 10 scraps of 3/8 plywood and 2 pieces of 2 x 10 wood that has a taper on one end that I use as a wedge to get it fine tuned. I use them under a wheel to level it out. The original owner put those little RV level bubbles to check front to back and side to side and that has been a big help. I might add that because of where I live most of my camping has been more primitive sites not the slick down south RV parks. When I first got it I pondered adding jacks to the corners like an Aspen or Kwik Kamp but after using it I did not see a need. I still think off adding them just to take the load off the tires and suspension, maybe this winter.....
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    I have a RAH standard, The basic set up is the same as the wide in that the top opens up and becomes the hard floor of the dressing area. As to issues setting it up I have used it about 40 nights and have not had any issues with getting it level. I carry 4 small 4 x 10 scraps of 3/8 plywood and 2 pieces of 2 x 10 wood that has a taper on one end that I use as a wedge to get it fine tuned. I use them under a wheel to level it out. The original owner put those little RV level bubbles to check front to back and side to side and that has been a big help. I might add that because of where I live most of my camping has been more primitive sites not the slick down south RV parks. When I first got it I pondered adding jacks to the corners like an Aspen or Kwik Kamp but after using it I did not see a need. I still think off adding them just to take the load off the tires and suspension, maybe this winter.....
    Is there a frame under the RAH fiberglass body to attach leveling jacks too? I assume so, but haven't seen one up close.

I added a car top carrier on mine, and we've been very happy with it. It folds up underneath the "entry way" when we're camping, and we basically leave it on all of the time.

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...out&highlight=

The car top carrier is no longer at Walmart, but I see a listing on Amazon for $114
    https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Carry-P.../dp/B019SC6B5I

2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

I paid about 60 bucks on mine from ebay. Brand called keeper. Works fine.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I paid about 60 bucks on mine from ebay. Brand called keeper. Works fine.
    I had a Keeper. Good bag!