Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first motocamping season

My first motocamping season

Earlier in 2016, I purchased my goldwing, and my Time Out motorcycle camper. I spent a fair amount of time cleaning the camper, rewiring the trailer, and getting the tent repaired so this past weekend it was time to take her for her first run under my ownership! So prepped to go, we depart headed for Plymouth IN to crash at a Holiday Inn Express for the night. Sounds dumb I know, but it was just way to get a few hours north after working hours.

Here's the SS Goldwing ready to depart;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160812_180858.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	19855

The intent was to spend two nights up at the Cycle Moore campgrounds in Interlochen, Michigan. There are lots of nice riding roads, and sights around the area, and based on the reading Cycle Moore was supposed to be the place to go. It was a leisurely ride from Plymouth, IN, departing at just before noon. I failed miserably and did not check the tire pressure so it took me a little time to get the trailer tires properly pumped up at the gas station. Woops.

Cycle Moore was about 200 miles from Plymouth and we arrived at about 4 or so and started setting up camp. We took an electrical spot and started to investigate our surroundings.

Name:	20160813_185930.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	19856

The wood stash was found, but unfortunately it was wet and sappy and took about 3 hours to get a hot fire going. The window had passed to make our chicken dinner pockets that we had prepped in the cooler. Freeze dried camp rations and beef jerky it was. lol.

The campgrounds had a family reunion going on and they seemed fine. They wound down at about 11 as we sat around the fire and talked. Ended up turning in around midnight and found the camper surprisingly comfortable. We woke up in the morning, got showered and cleaned up and tried to decide what we were going to do for the remainder of the trip. I was unimpressed with Cycle Moore and had also remembered that I was on-call for work - so I had to be back earlyish on Monday.

The plan was decided - Leave Cycle Moore, trail along the lake on the western side of the state, and head into Holland State Park in Holland, MI. There were a few pit stops along the way, and the scenery was great.
    Tear down on Monday morning was a lot easier having done this a few times now. We were up by 810, and rolling by 9. I wanted to stay a little longer in the park, but the campgrounds were decent, and the facilities were actually pretty nice [for a campground]. The downside to Holland State Park was that it was verrry busy. Lots of people and campers everywhere. And a lot of them took slow double takes looking at the motorcycle camper. Creepers.

Learned a few things on this trip. Most of which was the fact that the cargo area of the Time Out is in the interior of the camper. You have to move your stuff 2 or 3 times during tear down and set up. That annoys me. I have a set of mattress pads that go on the top of the camper while its rolling. I think I will go ahead and get a cargo bag for like an SUV to put on top of the mattress pads. It will cinch down to the cross bars nicely and will make moving stuff a heck of a lot easier.

Name:	20160814_200923.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	19857

My second excursion was to Wisconsin the 9th of October. We spent two nights at Gov Dodge State park (see Wisconsin thread) and we enjoyed the time there. The time out is such a nice little trailer, and I has enough storage while in use to support a few people over a weekend. I dont know how you kwik kamp people do it!

Wrapping up the season right now and she will get new shoes, and I'll repack the bearings. Off to storage for the winter!
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: My first motocamping season

Great report ,thank you. You should try and make one of our events.
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Derick, thanks for the report. It looks like you have some great equipment to start your camping adventures. I've camped at Cycle Moore a few
    times and yes it is a bit dated. You don't notice it as much when 20-30 friends are there with you. My last trip North was a ride around Lake
    Michigan. I rode up through Wisconsin and back down through Michigan. Stopped at Cycle-Moore for a Moto-Campers event. The roads around
    the lake are beautiful. As for Kwik-Kampers, I've gotten used to packing my Mini-Mate and occasionally tie a vinyl luggage bag on top. I also need
    to empty part of the trailer to set up the tent. It still beats sleeping on the ground. In the next few months Moto-Camper events will be posted
    here. Please try to join us.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Sounds like you are really getting a handle on this MotoCamping thing....the more you do it the more you like it...Nothing like the smell of a nice campfire in the morning.

I live in my Time Out Deluxe. 365 days a year.

Some suggestions.

A 15 cu. ft. bag, Sherpa is among the best in terms of waterproof and quality/reliability. Leave the bows up and attach the bag to them. Make it firmly attached in the front, so the bag doesn't shift back. Which it will do if you give it enough slack to do so. I use a rubber backed mat on the ground at the entrance, and place it on top the trailer underneath the bag. Protects the trailer top and securely transports the mat.

Plastic storage bins, clear. I use a 62 qt. underbed bin that I put inside the trailer, and 3 tall ones that I put inside the bag on top. That leaves room for the bag with the air mattress and Kermit chair and a few other things.

Everything that would be unhappy getting wet is in a bin. Also, I put bungee cords around the bins, to keep the lids on. No matter how they latch, they will unlatch every chance they get.

I'm getting to where I can empty the bag in a minute, open the trailer, remove the underbed bin, propane bottle, jack, in another minute, and raise the tent in 2 or 3. Thats enough to get out of the rain. If not raining, I go around and snap the tent to the box, attach the bungee cords, and level it if necessary.

Of course, I haul a lot more than you, probably. I have everything I own almost with me. Heh.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

I did get a cargo bag already that goes on top of the mattress pads. Loved having that on the WI trip. I dont like keeping stuff inside the time out, just more crap to unload when you get wherever you're going. I will look into the plastic bins, that's a good idea. What I'm on the hunt for right now is a few circular camp eating equipment bags for storage.

Question, you say jack, what are you talking about?

I was brain storming about the time out a little bit, and I pretty well hate those drop down legs. I just cant get it right most times and end up having to heave the camper a little bit. I've been considering retro fitting some scissor jacks to each corner.

Privateer you live in yours? Ever get tired of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I did get a cargo bag already that goes on top of the mattress pads. Loved having that on the WI trip. I dont like keeping stuff inside the time out, just more crap to unload when you get wherever you're going. I will look into the plastic bins, that's a good idea. What I'm on the hunt for right now is a few circular camp eating equipment bags for storage.

Question, you say jack, what are you talking about?

I was brain storming about the time out a little bit, and I pretty well hate those drop down legs. I just cant get it right most times and end up having to heave the camper a little bit. I've been considering retro fitting some scissor jacks to each corner.
    I use a manual scissor jack to raise the corners enough to level it. I can't lift the trailer anymore, so I use a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmedic View Post
    Privateer you live in yours? Ever get tired of it ?
    Not really. I'm a true American Gypsy and love the Life. I continually see strange new things, meet strange new people. Have camped on Amish farms, people's back yards, a couple ranches, and many many forests (mostly National) and city and country parks.

Sometimes I get frustrated by things. Like lack of cell phone connectivity. I'm using it now to post.

When I come out of winter camp in late April, it will be with a cell phone booster system, which essentially creates a miniature cell tower above my trailer. Probably also a wifi antenna to grab wifi from campgrounds that only have it in the office/lounge area.

I have realized I'm going to have to switch trailers within 5 years give or take a few. Sometimes getting my Time Out up and level is a bit painful to the knees, ankle, shoulder. So maybe a RAH or Roadmaster. I dunno, love my Time Out. Might even switch to a Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow VX tent and cargo trailer. The VX goes up fast and easy, and is one of the best bad weather tents on the market.

But Gypsy Lore Society says I'm a Roader, and I plan to keep on being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    Are they not the standard drop leg where you can insert the lever and use it to ratchet up the jack?

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    Sometimes getting my Time Out up and level is a bit painful to the knees, ankle, shoulder. So maybe a RAH or Roadmaster.
    One of the things I hate of my RAH is that you need level ground. They don't have corner leveling jacks. The whole design is baed on unfolding on level ground. Sure you can use some wheel chocks to raise a tire or a few flat rocks for the tongue. But the trailer rests on it's axle and the unfolded roof (that is 4'x6' flat). You ain't setting one up on the side of the hill! I hate the set-up accommodations needed but the size, simplicity and beauty of a RAH keeps it behind my bike, or if not there in my garage.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.