Thread: Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville WI

Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville WI

Greetings!

Sharing a few experiences about my time at Gov. Dodge State Park in Dodgeville, WI.

Web: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/govdodge/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161008_163213.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	19813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161008_163226.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	19814

I've been here twice over the last 3 years, and I have to say for the most part I truly enjoy the park. I'll admit that I do just use it for campground space mostly - but last weekend while there we did some exploring around the park.

It's not a huge park, but there are two lakes with fishing and small beaches. It was high of mid 60s, so there was no swimming. Plenty of mowed trails that you can explore on, and the campsites are actually quite nice. They aren't like some parks in MI where they cram as much as they possible can into the park. The sites are at least partially shaded, and quite private. The spot we had this last weekend was perfect. Partial shade, had some sun at sunset, not too hot, and we chose an electric space. The comfort features are there, reasonably clean showers and bathrooms within a small walk of the site. My biggest complaint, and I experienced this as well 2 years ago, the showers are awful. They apparently refuse to turn them up past about 65 degrees or so. It's quite unpleasant. You get a small burst of lukewarm water and think, ok, this will work...but then BAM cold water. My saturday shower was taken with haste, and my sunday shower was put off until I returned home. Not sure why this is such a thing, but it's not a good thing. I'm sure in the hot summer the cooler water might feel nice....but this isn't July, it's October.

One other downside is that it is expensive. I think overall, not including firewood, I spent about 100 dollars for two nights of camping. Their site fee is 28/night, then there was 22 dollars in daily tag fees, 10 dollars in "reservation" fees...in short, it's expensive.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville WI

Is this the Dodgeville near the U-N-I-Q-U-E home / museum from the 50’s & 60’s?

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC, TT. KOA

What is "daily tag fees"
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    What is "daily tag fees"
    $11/day for non resident access to the park. I dont remember what resident rates are...I want to say like $6.

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    $11/day for non resident access to the park. I dont remember what resident rates are...I want to say like $6.
    Ok, Thanks. I have seen that in my travels. Just never heard it called that.

The state fees are the reason I do not camp in state parks out of state . I will stelth camp befor I will pay 30 to 40 for 1 night .

Derick my home is about 15 miles from there. Send a PM the next time you are in the area.
    Dewey

Is there a giant guitar near there because I think I went thru there awhile back when \i hooked up with aero forum peeps?