Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Coast planning for next summer - thinking ahead

Re: West Coast planning for next summer - thinking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRon View Post
    I've been to Monterey one time, for the Pop Festival. 1967...Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Otis Redding and Booker T.... The Summer of Love. Bet I enjoyed it, but it being 1967, California and the Summer of Love thing and me fresh from the cornfields of Indiana. Whole new world. Dang I'm old.

Sundance, Utah. Alpine Loop Scenic Byway one of my favorite rides with Mt. Timpanogos Campground 3 miles north of Sundance.
    Absolutely!

OP, note this. I'd seriously consider this as part of your tour West.

And Ron, you are not old, just "experienced". I'd have loved to be at that pop concert. I've seen some amazing Jazz legends over the decades at Monterey, and Newport. Opposite coasts but the best Jazz fest in the U.S. IMO. Montreal takes it for Canada.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRon View Post
    I've been to Monterey one time, for the Pop Festival. 1967...Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Otis Redding and Booker T.... The Summer of Love. Bet I enjoyed it, but it being 1967, California and the Summer of Love thing and me fresh from the cornfields of Indiana. Whole new world. Dang I'm old.

Sundance, Utah. Alpine Loop Scenic Byway one of my favorite rides with Mt. Timpanogos Campground 3 miles north of Sundance.
    "...me fresh from the cornfields of Indiana. Whole new world."

That!
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for many of these suggestions.

Sundance, Utah. Alpine Loop Scenic Byway looks very interesting

--
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Thanks for many of these suggestions.

Sundance, Utah. Alpine Loop Scenic Byway looks very interesting

--
    Gordon
    It is, Gordon. You are talking about the Wasatch Mountain Range (West side front of the Rockies) and it's breath taking!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wasatch Range.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	19899

And do go for a gourmet sandwich and home made soup for lunch and sit out on the Sundance Resort's porch to enjoy these. Robert Redford did a spectacular job on this resort. It's rustic, yet majestic. But because it's rustic, you'll fit right in with riding gear on. The Deli (where you buy the sandwich and soup inside the lodge at the Resort) is very motorcycle rider friendly. While you are there, tour the resort, go for a ski lift ride (they often run it in the summer for sight-seeing), and just enjoy the mountains. The roads in and out of the resort are very enjoyable on a bike.

Enjoy!

-3Sport

The Alpine Loop is only maybe 20 miles long but it takes about all day to ride it. About every 100 yrds is something new or impressive to stop and look at. A number of campgrounds to ride through and checkout. Exiting Loop Byway west on 189 you ride through Provo Canyon with Nunn's Park next to the Provo River. Great place to take a walk or just take a break. You could spend a week or a month in this area and into southern Utah and not see it all. Worth a stop if you are on Utah 12 is the Kiva Koffeehouse. I keep heading to Florida and/or NC in the summers. Have 3 kids and 6 grandkids in Utah and I need to head out that way this summer. Hope to spend all summer out there.

This thread is killing me. I used to go to Sundance/Park City every year in October to enjoy the Fall color. Last two years I went to Vegas and Lake Havasu, AZ. Next Summer, it's back to Sundance. If I could, I'd retire there.

And as a Fly Fisherman, it's heaven. I've fished the Provo so many times the Trout probably know me by name. And Sundance is within striking distance of The Green River in Dutch John. Now THAT is Fly Fisherman's Paradise.

-3Sport