Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Coast planning for next summer - thinking ahead

West Coast planning for next summer - thinking ahead

I'm planning on riding from Northwestern Ontario to Mount Rushmore (never seen it before) (and no, not when Sturgis is on) and then travelling out to the west coast. I would like to drive along the coast, up towards Canada and then end up in the Okanagan valley to visit some family. Then back across Canada to home.

What would be a good route to travel from Mount Rushmore to and along the west coast.

I won't have alot of time, so can't go on all the twisties, but don't want just to travel the freeways either.

I'm open to suggestions to start my planning.

Oh....I will also be camping with my Leesure Lite also.

Thanks,
    Gordon

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: West Coast planning for next summer - thinking ahead

There's a lot more to see in the Black Hills Region of SD than just Mt Rushmore, so figure on spending at least 3 days in the area.!!!!

How long do you have, what time of year and where do you want to hit the west coast?
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    How long do you have, what time of year and where do you want to hit the west coast?
    I'm sure there is alot to see. But probably will have to make a second or third trip out there. I only have 2 weeks, and don't know where I should start out at the west coast. I will be heading out around July 1st. I'm open for suggestions.

--
    Gordon

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I live in north Seattle. I have ridden across the North Cascades National Park 75 times in my motorcycling life. I would make it 76 to ride with you across it. Highway 20.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

A few sights to see...

Going to the Sun Road. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10606581_10203610703686784_6020692859436145310_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	19711
    Afterwards make your way to Montana Route 28 and ride it through Camas Prairie. It's cuts right alongside the giant current ripples. Cool to see if you are a science geek.
    Paradise Montana for some nice free roadside spring water. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10606190_10203613348152894_1255112851761492963_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	19714
    Hwy 90 east of Spokane is a slab that rides like anything but.
    Come across Hwy 36 from Red Bluff for 140 miles of non-stop curves. If towing a trailer you'll get tired of the turns. But you can say BTDT! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10660136_10203647706571833_4574253376979704740_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	19712
    And don't forget the Avenue of the Giants. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10428708_10203636451650467_6713366048061126220_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	19713
    Hwy 199 from Crescent City CA up to Grants Pass OR is just a good ride, that will then set you up for a stop-off at Crater Lake. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10628210_10203636451050452_5570249165003028837_n.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	19710

Free beach side camping in Coos Bay. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10579994_10203619339782681_7884807438285914650_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	19709
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Great info so far.

Personally, if it were me, I'd take Route 18 out of Mt. Rushmore to Utah and tour the Sundance/Provo/Park City area. For me, this is a special area with spectacular vistas, great roads for motorcycles, and great camping and lodging. Oh, and some of the best Fly Fishing in the U.S. (I speak from vast experience here). I happen to be a super-fan of Mr. Redford's Sundance resort. Stop there, camp nearby and get yourself a gourmet sandwich and homemade soup while you sit on the porch of the lodge and enjoy the mountain views. You can Mapquest this or Google map it and it will show you the route 18 route I am suggesting. This gets you off the interstate per se, but you still have a decent route to make time on if you need to.

From there, I'd personally head down to Vegas via 15. This is a highway but it has spectacular vistas for an interstate. From Vegas you can visit the Grand Canyon, then head on I-10 to Los Angeles and then start up the coast.

OR

if you don't want to go that far south, you could always just go from Utah to Sacramento, California directly via I-80. That's the nice thing about being in Utah near Salt Lake City. You can choose two good roads to go due west or South by Southwest. IMO, I-80 is not nearly as pretty a ride as 15, but, it gets you to Northern Cal instead of Southern Cal. You could then ride out to the NAPA Valley and really enjoy some wine country touring as you start to head north along the coast. But for me, I'd ride down to Vegas, visit the Grand Canyon, then head on out to California and up the coast. Heck, I'd probably actually ride south from Vegas to Lake Havasu, AZ via 95, just because I love Lake Havasu and the ride down on 95 (great road for bikes once it becomes rural and single lane) and it's on the California/AZ border, so you can jump on I-40 from there for an easy ride to California. I'd actually go I-40 to Barstow and then 395 to Bakersfield, California. That totally avoids Los Angeles traffic.

SO many choices.

Enjoy the planning and the trip.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I'm leaving Florida in late April for a rally in Arkansas, then back down to 10 (or maybe 20, depending on temperatures) to the west coast. Going to Monterey CA as I always do in the May/June months to see my buddy.

Then Kamiah ID the end of May, then MO for the COG National in June, then who knows. Well, I have a list but don't always follow the list.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    I'm leaving Florida in late April for a rally in Arkansas, then back down to 10 (or maybe 20, depending on temperatures) to the west coast. Going to Monterey CA as I always do in the May/June months to see my buddy.

Then Kamiah ID the end of May, then MO for the COG National in June, then who knows. Well, I have a list but don't always follow the list.
    Nice, Privateer. I'm a huge Jazz fan and have been to Monterey many times for the Jazz Fest. Also just to relax and wander around Cannery Row. Oddly, one of my favorite Indian food restaurants is on Cannery Row, Monterey. Second only to one in Honolulu. My absolute fave is actually in Nashville. Go figure. When I think of Nashville, or Honolulu or Monterey, the last thing I think about is Indian food.

It always amazes me how the marine layer will have that area 15 to 20 degrees cooler than 1 mile inland. But I really like that cool layer. I usually go out for a 5k run in the morning along the hiking path that parallels Cannery row. Good memories in Monterey. Enjoy the trip.

-3Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Nice, Privateer. I'm a huge Jazz fan and have been to Monterey many times for the Jazz Fest. Also just to relax and wander around Cannery Row. Oddly, one of my favorite Indian food restaurants is on Cannery Row, Monterey. Second only to one in Honolulu. My absolute fave is actually in Nashville. Go figure. When I think of Nashville, or Honolulu or Monterey, the last thing I think about is Indian food.

It always amazes me how the marine layer will have that area 15 to 20 degrees cooler than 1 mile inland. But I really like that cool layer. I usually go out for a 5k run in the morning along the hiking path that parallels Cannery row. Good memories in Monterey. Enjoy the trip.

-3Sport
    I lived in Monterey when I got stationed at Ft. Ord after being assigned to the 7th Infantry Division to complete my medical processing out. Then I got a job at McGraw-Hill as a computer programmer, and stayed a decade. Moved up to Santa Clara after that.

Used to ride up to Skyline Blvd. and ride the ridge north to Alice's Restaurant on Sunday mornings while living in Santa Clara.

Funny you mention Indian food. I had a very good friend when I lived in Carmel who was Indian, and she used to invite me up to her flat and feed me real Indian food.

I spend most of my months when I'm not there thinking about being there. LOL

I've been to Monterey one time, for the Pop Festival. 1967...Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Otis Redding and Booker T.... The Summer of Love. Bet I enjoyed it, but it being 1967, California and the Summer of Love thing and me fresh from the cornfields of Indiana. Whole new world. Dang I'm old.

Sundance, Utah. Alpine Loop Scenic Byway one of my favorite rides with Mt. Timpanogos Campground 3 miles north of Sundance.