Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a Used Kermit Chair

Re: Looking for a Used Kermit Chair

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm going to make something to "make due".
    An Internet search reveals that some people have used PVC to create leg extensions.

The below forum entry mentions the following plan:
    Figured I could beat Kermit's $40 + shipping for their extensions.
    Got some one inch PVC which is actually about 1 and an 1/8 inside diameter and cut it with my cut off saw at at 22.5 degree angle (only that precise because that angle is a preset and seemed to match the angle of the chair's foot). Used dremel and file to make cut out for the screw head and the steel brace. Drilled a hole and connected front legs with shock cord so when I picked up the chair there was enough tension on the extensions so they wouldn't fall off. Did same with the back set. All 4 extensions fit in the original bag so doesn't increase length. I had the shock cord and pvc so my price was $0 and half hour labor. If you had to buy the materials under $2. Tested them out and perfectly stable. Not so much if you don't angle the feet of course.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99892
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-25 (E) set up from rear.JPG   2012-02-25 (F) cut out close ups.JPG  
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

(Threadstarter)

Yep, I saw that, but I see some problems with his solution.

First, I don't like the screws holding the full weight. I'm thinking another PVC length inside the other that actually holds the weight through the legs, instead of it resting on the screws.

Also, if I do it, I'll use a heat gun to mold the plastic to the leg.

Finally, I wouldn't cut for the brace, I'd have it go over the extension (after I molded it down).

2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    If its a Kermet chair you be wanting but, don't want to shell out nearly two bills for ONE ...
    You could do like I did and make your own ... I have about $50.00 in materials invested in the 2 wide body chairs I made ...
    It takes minimal woodworking skills and a few hours of spare time to accomplish ...

(There is a thread on my chair build somewhere here on the forum)

G
    WIZZ...If those chairs in the photo were made by you...my hat is off, my man...beautiful work. Had I had that level of woodworking craftsmanship...I could have saved about $250.00...But I don't, so, I didn't...save those $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Title says most of it. Would prefer blue or black, but depending on price, I'll take what I can get.
    If still interested check the FOR SALE site....some guy there has a "one time good deal" there...at least I think he still has them....