Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

(Threadstarter)

Re: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

BTW, ladies and gents, for those that do not know, you need high quality alcohol for these alcohol stoves to work well. You can't just dump in some rubbing alcohol or any old denatured alcohol and expect the stove to prime and bloom correctly.

I have read all the blogs, and tested all of the fuel choices and the BEST by FAR is HEET in the YELLOW BOTTLE! NOT the Red Bottle.
    The yellow bottle burns perfectly in alcohol stoves. It's recommended by most backpackers for a reason.
    You can pick this up at any AutoZone, Walmart, K-Mart, Advance Auto Parts, etc. I just carry it in the Yellow Bottle and use it as I need at camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heet.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	19585
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Works much better in stoves than gas tanks.

The only people I wver knew who had issues with water and freezing in gas tanks were the ones who insisted you needed to dump Heet in there. (And they administered Heet before the problem, just coincidence?)
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

3 Sport I bought a stove from Montgomery Ward 30 years ago. It was on a close out.
    I got it home and the instructions were gone. I called the name on the box, and they said
    we will send it to you. I got it next day. Well where you might have seen the word fuel the
    instructions said gasoline. I think 30 years ago that was a no no. I think instructions came
    from China maybe, so they might have taken the instructions out of the boxes at Wards.

Anyway the instructions said, fill tank, (brass) and open fuel valve. Cup your hands around
    brass tank. Heat from your hands will cause fuel to flow to the burner. IT WORKED!

It was square and the lid became the pot I think..... ever see one of those? I think I still have
    it somewhere. If I do I will post a picture.....

Here is images of all stoves ever made I think.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Camp...lLn9GiHovJM%3A

Small square one with brass tank looks like the one.
    Buttset from Mo.

(Threadstarter)

That's a very cool site, Buttset, thanks.

Interesting on your Monkey Ward stove. My father had an old Montgomery Ward he bought in the late 50's or early 60's and it also said to use GAS, but what they meant was WHITE GAS or Naptha, commonly known now as Coleman Fuel. My father always referred to it as White Gas.

I do have a Coleman 533 Sportster stove that I really like that does truly run dual fuel. You can run Naptha or Gasoline. GREAT stove for moto camping, but a tad too big for one of my bikes. That's why I like that little Alcohol Stove I posted. It's really small, but rugged, can handle larger pots and you can put quite a bit of alcohol in it for a long burn.

Just for kicks and giggles, here is a guy that set up a distilling rig in his back yard to turn regular gasoline into Naptha fuel (White Gas). Why in the world you'd want to go through all this trouble when you can run down to a Walmart and get Coleman Fuel I have no idea, but here he is doing it in his back yard.
    You gotta' love Youtube.

Thanks again for that link! Interesting looking at all those stoves.

-3Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Just for kicks and giggles, here is a guy that set up a distilling rig in his back yard to turn regular gasoline into Naptha fuel (White Gas). Why in the world you'd want to go through all this trouble when you can run down to a Walmart and get Coleman Fuel I have no idea, but here he is doing it in his back yard.

-3Sport
    At $10 a gallon, I can aee why you might make your own. He had 4l to start and ended up wasting just over a half liter. $2 for the 4l and get at least 3l out of it. I can understand why... now can I accept the risk for the reward... hmmm...

I got my cook set and stove coming Sat.

So I went on line and found this at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16408667?...&wl13=&veh=sem

4 12oz bottles, if I read it right. Not too bad a price. $5.87

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    At $10 a gallon, I can aee why you might make your own. He had 4l to start and ended up wasting just over a half liter. $2 for the 4l and get at least 3l out of it. I can understand why... now can I accept the risk for the reward... hmmm...
    Yes, that's the ticket. Saving a few bucks is nice, but the risk of having a gasoline distillation rig in your back yard? Not for me!

And by the time I bought the materials and invested the time to set the rig up, the savings would have been liquidated.... so to speak.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by buttset View Post
    I got my cook set and stove coming Sat.

So I went on line and found this at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16408667?...&wl13=&veh=sem

4 12oz bottles, if I read it right. Not too bad a price. $5.87
    NIce! I am going to get that 4-pack. Thanks for the heads-up.

(Threadstarter)

I modified the list to include the 4-5 person Northwest Territory Dome that has plenty of room for 2 campers, with cots and gear. I also added the tent floor protectors for chair legs. These are important especially if you are on soft ground. You need these. Just like you need a moto kickstand pad that I also added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Yes, that's the ticket. Saving a few bucks is nice, but the risk of having a gasoline distillation rig in your back yard? Not for me!
    I do have a combination rig, gasoline distillation and burner, all-in-one unit. Formerly US government property known as the M2.

Name:	downloadfile.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	19587

Now at 42lbs empty it's not exactly what you bring along when camping from the motorcycle.

But burning regular gas at a rate of about $1 an hour it is quite economical to use. With a 4~6 hour capacity from one tank full, you can go a whole weekend and not worry about refilling.

A 5k btu preheat burner and a 50k btu main burner... it works once you drag it out.

Name:	136678-46ee5c6d735c161a01ec164a38e6c49c.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	19588