Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

Re: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

I just ordered the alcohol stove because of your post. It was great to read and I've been doing this for a lot of years, but a little insight is always welcome.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Great post.
    Thank you for the insight into chairs and stoves.
    I'm refining my kit and adding a few bits to replace older outdated gear.
    Cheers, David C
    No problem, David. There is one other medium pack chair I like. This one is between my "comfy" chair and the really small backpack chair. I like it and should have posted it, but sooner or later the list becomes too long and it gets ridiculous.

But here it is. It's higher back than the super small backpack chair, and a bit more comfy.
    LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A34T8FYDS94XHW

It's a good compromise between packing small and comfort.

Aloha!
    -3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I just ordered the alcohol stove because of your post. It was great to read and I've been doing this for a lot of years, but a little insight is always welcome.
    Glad to help out, Rick. And BTW, I used to live in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Love that area.

The Stainless Steel OUT-D stove is a winner. It is made for medium to large pots and tiny pots like the Stainley will wobble around on it because the holders are too far out. I'm not a fan of that Stanley cookset anyway. It's gotten some really big buzz on the internet, and I can't understand it. It's narrow and deep, a pain to clean, and not really practical IMO. I'd rather have the old BoyScout cookset than the Stanley, but to each their own.

The legs on that alcohol stove swivel out by pushing them down, because there is a LOCK mechanism. This guy reviewed the OUT-D stove. FYI:

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKk86iQpjOY

(Threadstarter)

Re: 3Sport's Detailed Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

For the heavier Moto-Camper that needs a cot that packs small, this cot from OUTAD has received good reviews, and holds a whopping 440lbs. I'm only 195 so I don't need the heft, but I may order one because some reviewers are comparing it to the MUCH more expensive Therma-Rest Cot as far as quality and COMFORT. Looks like it packs small enough. I may want to give it a whirl.

If I order it, I'll do a review once I field test it.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=A1F8NSKJA5BK

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Tent. The best value by far is the K-Mart or Sears (same company now) 3 person tent. It's the Northwest Territory Sierra 3 person dome tent. I got this for $19.95 on sale 6 years ago, but have still seen them recently for $24.95 on sale. Still a huge bargain. This tent has good reviews for a reason. It does not leak even in the hardest and longest rain, it has footlockers for muddy or wet shoes, it packs small, sets up quickly and is roomy for a moto camping tent. You can sleep 2 no problem, but for 1, it's downright roomy and I've spent many a dry day and night in that tent while it's pouring outside. I have larger tents, and smaller tents, but this one is my all-around favorite for a reason. It's very roomy for one, and sleeps 2 no problem with room for gear. I've paid 10 x this amount for a tent and was not this happy. Truly, this is a supreme bargain.

LINK: http://www.sears.com/northwest-terri...1&blockType=G1
    As I said earlier, I was so impressed with this after viewing online, that I not only bought one for myself, but a couple for gifts for the grandkids. I was surprised that it came just two days after ordering it. Shipping was free since it was over $50, so 3 tents for a little less than $75. I was impressed with the value. As an added "benefit" we got a red one in the mix. Not a big deal, but like I said, we bought two of them for grandkids. My wife had said "Maybe we can get a red tent for Emma/Sammy and a blue tent for Preston/Chandler" (the gifts will be a shared tent, and individual bags, mostly for backyard camping and the occasional outing with the family). Blue was available from Sears, but the red was from Kmart, and wasn't on sale. We weren't willing to pay double for the red, so we ordered three blue at the ~ $25 sale price. When they came, we had two blue and one red, so that worked out nicely.

I have to say, I'm a little concerned about the pole thickness. I didn't measure them, but they appear to be about 9mm, and I'm not very confident on how well they'll hold up in a strong wind. I'll break out my micrometer and get a good measurement later. That said, at $25, even if I had to purchase good aluminum poles for $20 or $30, I think I'd be pretty happy with the tent.

Definitely a 3 season tent, but calling it a "3 person" is just as definitely stretching it. You might fit 3 adults in there, but they would have to be pretty cozy with one another to be comfortable, and in some countries they might be considered an "extended family" after doing so.

After setting it up, I put my Sleep-Rite cot in (assembled) and it fit, but it pretty much took up half the interior. Plenty of room to sleep on the cot, and still enough room for a low chair and gear; so I think it'd be great for a solo camper, and might work in a pinch for two adult campers without cots.

In short, the tent will work great just for me on solo trips, but I'll be taking our Kelty Trail-Ridge 4 when it's me and the wife. But I also think it'll be a great beginner tent for the grandkids we bought it for. Emma and Sam (5 and 7) will share one, and Preston and Chandler (3 and 6) will get another. They'll be great for "backyard camp outs" and as an extra sleeper tent when the parents go camping (they do occasionally). The other good use for us is we often have extended family members ask to borrow a tent, and I'd be much more comfortable handing over this than the the one the wife and I count on.

Definitely a great value at $25 each.

2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

(Threadstarter)

Oh for sure, all so-called "3-Person" tents are going to be a very tight squeeze for 3 people. They mean three sleeping bags side by side and nothing else when they list them as 3 person. I buy 3 person tents for ME, as a solo camper, for a cot, and gear and backpack chair. A "3-Person" gives me plenty of room as a solo camper. So-called "2-Person" tents are a bit too small for me and my cot and my chair and my gear.

Those tent poles (UNLESS THEY HAVE CHANGED MANUFACTURE SINCE I BOUGHT MINE 8 YEARS AGO) will be no issue. I have had my tent in 35-40 MPH wind gusts in Michigan during horrid thunderstorms and have been OK. And with those storms came HEAVY rain with NO leaks whatsoever. What impresses me the most, I got mine on sale 8 years ago for $19.95 and here I am still using it today, with NO issues. If I had paid $199.95 for a super premium brand, I'd bet a good cup of coffee I'd have troubles by now. Murphy's law.

If I were going to go continual 2 person camping with plenty of gear and wanted room to spare, I'd opt for a so-called 5 person dome, so that two cots and two chairs and gear could fit inside no problem. I have one, the original made for Walmart Coleman 5 person dome (no longer made for Walmart - it was royal blue in color) that used to sell for $79.00. I got it on sale for $49 on a closeout. GREAT bargain, and a perfect size tent and good quality for 2 people with gear and cots and camp chairs. Plus, it packs surprisingly small. They do have a new version of this tent, but it's WAY more expensive at $140
    LINK: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-T...87446/36761589

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Great list! Like others I use two set ups, one for travel that is set up and taken down daily that consists of a three person tent. For events where I stay several days in one spot I take a larger Coleman tent that is almost too much for one person to set up. I think a four or five person would be better for events.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Aha!

After some research, I find that K-Mart is STILL selling their Northwest Territory FOUR PERSON dome for $79.00

This is basically the larger version of the 3 person done tent in my list, and some companies based on the floor plan would classify it as a five person - again packed in side by side. I had this tent, and paid $79.00 for it at K-mart about 7 years ago, so the price has held for a long time. I lost it in a move, so had to buy the Coleman from Walmart to replace it because at the time I could not find it again at K-Mart. This is a good tent for 2 people with room for cots and chairs and gear. Or a HUGE tent for one person. These Northwest Territory tents, IMO, are spectacular for the money.

LINK: http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terri...5&blockType=G5

Great price VS Quality on these tents.

Ok I bought the small stove, and the non stick cook set.

3 SPORT "WHERE DO I SEND THE >KICK BACK < MONEY"? LOL

BETTER YET. If I run into you I got a flash lite I can give you.

Look left I got room for a microwave, sink, and my own pillow, in the 55.

Buttset from Mo.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by buttset View Post
    Ok I bought the small stove, and the non stick cook set.

3 SPORT "WHERE DO I SEND THE >KICK BACK < MONEY"? LOL

BETTER YET. If I run into you I got a flash lite I can give you.

Look left I got room for a microwave, sink, and my own pillow, in the 55.

Buttset from Mo.
    LOVE IT! Now THAT'S what I call towing in STYLE!

I think you will like the little alcohol stove. Most alcohol stoves are thin soda can types. This thing is rugged, and large for an alcohol stove. It works GREAT with that cookset. And that cookset, for the price, is a good deal. 2nd season on mine and still lovin' it. Best small-pack cookset I have had in 20 plus years.

I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I got any kickback money on ANYTHING I have recommended on Blogs over the years. Nada Dime, my friend. Nada Dime. But good will is being spread.

Aloha!
    -3Sport