Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

(Threadstarter)

Re: 3Sport's Essential Moto-Camping Equipment List

That's an interesting rig. I seem to recall the M2 somewhere, probably from one of the camping mags, but I don't think I have ever seen one. Thanks.

The one thing I like about the Coleman 533 Sportster is the fact that it can safely burn Coleman Fuel OR regular Gasoline. I've run Gas in it many times with no issues because it was designed as a dual fuel stove. One of my camping buddies in the past swore by it because he'd just siphon gas out of his bike's tank into the 533 at camp and never have to worry about fuel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colemanstove.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	19589
    This is not a big stove, so I take it when camping on my Triumph. But when I camp with my Honda (smaller bags) it's just too large for the smaller Honda so I go with the smaller alcohol stove I spec'd in the list.
    As a bonus, the Coleman happens to fit perfectly in a Folgers Plastic Coffee can, like the can was actually made to house the stove. It's amazing, actually - a truly custom fit. And I drink Folgers, so I have a lifetime supply of stove cases.

Name:	folgersCAN.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	19590
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

(Threadstarter)

UPDATE:

I have recently discovered a variation of the Northwest Territory 9x7 three person done tent. Kmart has a "Raised Wall" version of this on sale for $36.99.
    The issue is, I think this is an older version of this dome and it's dead inventory they are trying to get rid of, so I don't know how much longer they will last.
    But because of the "Raised Wall" feature, this tent is much better than the regular dome I have been using. I bought it last week and tried it out and was amazed at the increase of interior space simply because of the raised walls.

Also, this tent actually has an electrical plug port so you don't have to run electric in from the tent door. That's a first for me on a low cost, smaller tent.

LINK: http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terri...W007142860001P

Name:	raised wall tent.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	19873

This is ADVERTISED as a 9 x 7 but the box states it as 9 x 9 and the tent is actually 9 x 9. This, IMO, is the perfect compromise between a 3 and 4 person tent. Most of these 4 person tents are 9 x 10. But this one at 9 x 9 with raised walls gives the appearance of more room internally than a 9 x 10. Keep in mind that a manufacturer spec-ing a tent out at 3 person is generous. You'd have to really squeeze size by side rather thin people to get three in a so-called "3-Person tent". So this one that is spec'd as 4 person, really is very comfortable for two with a little gear, or one with a lot of gear including a small camp chair and an oversize sleeping pad like the Klymit XL or even a queen mattress. Again, because it's a raised wall dome, you use the entire 9 foot square floor area.

For me, this is perfect size for dual moto-camping or solo luxurious moto-camping and I stumbled upon the perfect tent for moto camping at an incredible price. This tent is made very well, packs almost as small as a 3 person, and gives enough room internally for 2 plus gear, or 1 plus space for a chair and gear in case it is horrific weather and you are stranded in the tent.

I'm actually buying a 2nd one for this great price before they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by buttset View Post
    3 Sport I bought a stove from Montgomery Ward 30 years ago. It was on a close out.
    I got it home and the instructions were gone. I called the name on the box, and they said
    we will send it to you. I got it next day. Well where you might have seen the word fuel the
    instructions said gasoline. I think 30 years ago that was a no no. I think instructions came
    from China maybe, so they might have taken the instructions out of the boxes at Wards.

Anyway the instructions said, fill tank, (brass) and open fuel valve. Cup your hands around
    brass tank. Heat from your hands will cause fuel to flow to the burner. IT WORKED!

It was square and the lid became the pot I think..... ever see one of those? I think I still have
    it somewhere. If I do I will post a picture.....

Here is images of all stoves ever made I think.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Camp...lLn9GiHovJM%3A

Small square one with brass tank looks like the one.
    Buttset from Mo.
    I have a newer model of the same stove I burn white gas in. The small brass ring under the burner is to hold fire ribbon paste. Light the paste and open the valve and soon the vapor starts to burn. You don't really notice how loud it is until you shut it off. I've backpacked with it for years. It always seems to work!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    I have a newer model of the same stove I burn white gas in. The small brass ring under the burner is to hold fire ribbon paste. Light the paste and open the valve and soon the vapor starts to burn. You don't really notice how loud it is until you shut it off. I've backpacked with it for years. It always seems to work!
    When we were kids or even in our teens, camping equipment was just made to last. I grew up near Eureka Tent and Awning company as a teen and they even offered me a job in their camp store (turned it down because I didn't want to go to college and hold down a full time job as well). I got to know how the NY factory built with quality and pride back then. All of their gear was top rate. Now, their product is made in China like most other tents (including the one I just bought from K-Mart). Nothing really wrong with that, but the quality and craftsmanship is no longer as good as it used to be. I still have an LL Bean Cabin tent made in the late 70's that Eureka made for Bean. The thing is a TANK. Heavy steel poles, thick nylon walls, and a heavy canvas roof. I love it. But it's huge. 12 x 14. I use it when I want to glamour-camp (Glamping) with my car and set the tent up like a home away from home with queen cot, fans, television, the works.

I still have my Montgomery Ward 2 person Tent that I bought in 1977 to moto-camp with on my 1972 Yamaha 125 Enduro. That's still a great tent for solo moto-camping, and packs super small. Problem is it does not have a bathtub floor but just a nylon floor so its not waterproof on the ground. I also have a Montgomery Ward White Gas Tent heater (catalytic). This needs priming from a ring around the catalytic where you were supposed to put fire ribbon paste. It's also built like a tank. Probably last 100 years or more.

My old Montgomery Ward 7 foot mini wall tent without rainfly. I was smart enough to order the rainfly back in 1977. You needed that to get the water away from the non waterproof tent floor.

Name:	AUCTIONS 6-15-03 029.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	19876

My old Montgomery Ward Catalytic tent heater

Name:	il_fullxfull.558762465_26hx.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	19877

I have had several Timberline Eureka tents. The pin on each corner that goes into vert. pole they cut to half size in later models
    to save 3 inches of metal. Making it easier for the pin to fall out when setting it up. That little difference Pizzed me off. Just to cut
    a corner.... I agree most quality tents are harder to find.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by buttset View Post
    I have had several Timberline Eureka tents. The pin on each corner that goes into vert. pole they cut to half size in later models
    to save 3 inches of metal. Making it easier for the pin to fall out when setting it up. That little difference Pizzed me off. Just to cut
    a corner.... I agree most quality tents are harder to find.
    This is exactly my point, Buttset. Spot-on.

In the 80's (I think), Eureka Tent and Awning was purchased by the Johnson Outdoor Group. I was told (by a Eureka employee) that a daughter or grand daughter of the Johnson family was given Eureka as a "Gift" for her to run. The first thing she did was change the name from Eureka Tent and Awning to just "Eureka!", and then she promptly closed down the NY production facility and moved all production to China. Saved money I am sure, but there was a NOTICEABLE drop in quality. That's when I stopped buying Eureka.

When I was a kid, going to the Eureka Tent and Awning company store was AMAZING. It was packed with great camping things from tents to canoes to snowshoes to whatever you needed. Now, it's just a shell of a factory outlet store with a few tents and a closed down factory attached. So sad. It's not even on my list of places to visit where I grew up any longer. The only legacy from that area that has endured is McIntosh Stereos - ironically just down the road from Eureka. I'm talking like 3 miles down the road. The McIntosh brand still flourishes and is still built to supreme standards in NY by master craftsman. You pay for this craftsmanship, but to an Audiophile, it is worth every penny.

Well, there is one other. Dick's Sporting Goods. From my home town. When I was a kid, I shopped at the original and only Dick's Sporting Goods and stood at the counter you see in pictures that are posted in the Mega Dick's Sporting Goods stores nationwide. I never would have thought that Dick's Sporting Goods would ever get so huge. Amazing. But since they have relocated their HQ from NY to PA, I guess it really doesn't count as a NY company any longer.

I'd gladly pay more for a Eureka tent that was built to the same standards they used to be.

-3Sport

[QUOTE=3SportBiker;159711]This is exactly my point, Buttset. Spot-on.

In the 80's (I think), Eureka Tent and Awning was purchased by the Johnson Outdoor Group. I was told (by a Eureka employee) that a daughter or grand daughter of the Johnson family was given Eureka as a "Gift" for her to run. The first thing she did was change the name from Eureka Tent and Awning to just "Eureka!", and then she promptly closed down the NY production facility and moved all production to China. Saved money I am sure, but there was a NOTICEABLE drop in quality. That's when I stopped buying Eureka.

When I was a kid, going to the Eureka Tent and Awning company store was AMAZING. It was packed with great camping things from tents to canoes to snowshoes to whatever you needed. Now, it's just a shell of a factory outlet store with a few tents and a closed down factory attached. So sad. It's not even on my list of places to visit where I grew up any longer. The only legacy from that area that has endured is McIntosh Stereos - ironically just down the road from Eureka. I'm talking like 3 miles down the road. The McIntosh brand still flourishes and is still built to supreme standards in NY by master craftsman. You pay for this craftsmanship, but to an Audiophile, it is worth every penny.

Well, there is one other. Dick's Sporting Goods. From my home town. When I was a kid, I shopped at the original and only Dick's Sporting Goods and stood at the counter you see in pictures that are posted in the Mega Dick's Sporting Goods stores nationwide. I never would have thought that Dick's Sporting Goods would ever get so huge. Amazing. But since they have relocated their HQ from NY to PA, I guess it really doesn't count as a NY company any longer.

I'd gladly pay more for a Eureka tent that was built to the same standards they used to be.

-3Sport[/QUOTE
    Back in my motocross days I camped every weekend, for 10 years I used the same tent, a $40 Sir Edmon Hillary that I bought at Sears on clearance , when I started back camping last year I bought a Eureka Sunriver 3 tent from Dicks, had to buy it online because they only carried the sunriver 2 in the store. I bought this because of the reputation of the name, I haven't been disapointed, but I would much rather buy American and I do when I can. Any suggestions on a 15 degree sleeping bag?

Quote Originally Posted by ncmedic View Post
    Any suggestions on a 15 degree sleeping bag?
    Marmot Helium
    look for it on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSOV2YN3Wcg
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Hmmm, I gave up on sleeping bags and am now using down quilt with SynMat 9. THIS is the one I am currently using (thanks GroundHog for the tip). It is rated to 5-10F and I have had it down to 10F with nothing more than light PJ's and wool socks/hat on.

Why did I dump the sleeping bags? Quilts are lighter and pack smaller. The insulations on the bottom of a sleeping bag is pretty useless when it's compressed. The quilt is multi functional for me as I use it when camping either with my SynMat or with my hammock.
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

(Threadstarter)

I've been really happy with this model that I spec'd in my list, but it's not for really big guys. Tall, no problem, but big around are going to have issues fitting if they expect to put arms and shoulders in the bag. What I like is that it packs small in the stuff sack, yet is good to around 40 degrees or so. It's spec'd down to 32 but I have been just a tad chilly at 40 degrees so I think that's the limit. I also use a bag liner so it adds a tad of warmth and you don't dirty the bag, just the liner. This bag also has a pillow case attached that I personally like. I use a blowup pillow and the case makes it nice so it does not slip around and gives it a bit softer feel against the skin.

I'm also keen on the Klymit travel sleeping pad. These are a bit pricey but worth it. You need the INSULATED model in XL Luxe form so it's large, and warm and comfortable. Yet it packs ridiculously small.

LINK to BAG: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LINK to LINER: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LINK to MATTRESS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will find that most bags that are light and pack small yet have good insulation are on the "narrow" side. You can get them plenty long, but not super wide.
    I sometimes travel with a fleece sleeping blanket and put that on the sleeping pad, then OPEN my sleeping bag so it's more like a quilt and I can stretch out and have a large blanket rather than a narrow bag.

-3Sport