Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot locator

Re: Spot locator

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    Good point. I thought sales person told me that I will be covered up to 50k twice a year including air rescues. And the bike is a separate policy. I'll check it out.
    PLEASE NOTE: In an effort to keep the cost of GEOS Membership Benefit
    programs affordable, they are offered as a secondary expense exposure
    instrument, not a primary benefit. You are expected to possess coverage for
    primary expense coverage elsewhere, typically either in the form of primary
    medical insurance or travel insurance. GEOS Membership Benefits organize
    your rescue and covers the costs that your primary coverage does not.
    Membership Benefits are not an insurance or secondary insurance policy but
    are benefits accruing to Members.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

SARS Insurance aside (I always purchase it, but I'll have to read the five print, too.) The thing is, if I'm in a situation where I'm given the choice between an expensive rescue and a very unpleasant alternative, I'm betting the cost won't influence my decision.

"No, just leave me here..." Right.

I can tell you for sure that although cellular coverage has improved dramatically over the last years, there are still areas where it is not available, or at least dependable.
    It was in rural Ohio where I couldn't contact my wife to tell her I'd arrived at my destination as I promised...Not outer Mongolia.

That's not a really big deal to me since my wife doesn't go all wonky if I miss a check in. She's pretty cool about that stuff and doesn't automatically assume the worst.

But I travel solo and hike alone too. Once you get off road the vaunted full cellular coverage that everyone thinks is so dependable can disappear pretty rapidly.

So the SPOT is a keeper...Although I've recently been taking a look at the Delorne InReach.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I read it again. Not really an insurance, but a contract to reimburse. To me, I'm covered. I have other insurance also. I guess it is buyer beware. I'm going to tap my maple trees today. Have a good day. John
    KISS

While we are talking about this, something to consider. If you are considering a trip up to Alaska I would suggest you look into a Medivac plan. Every year I hear about bike riders needing medevac extractions after an accident $$$$ I have been reading up on various plans. Due to all my trips involve traveling in Canada some services will not work for me. Medjet will work anywhere in North America and they do have coverage available for getting your bike transported too. They offer short term plans too.

I travel into Canada several times a year so I am looking at a yearly plan for 270.00 + 35.00 for bike coverage for an individual. For my wife and I it's 390.00 + 70.00 for two bikes. This is the one I am leaning to. They have an online cost calculator you can play with: https://medjetassist.com/enroll
    ***Disclaimer no I don't work for them ***

I have a neighbor who used to fly the Guardian medivac jet, he recommended them for their great coverage for Alaska residents and the western states but their coverage is is not good across Canada from what I read. He has been working for the FAA for several years but it sounds like he is going to be flying for another Medivac service coming to town. I am waiting to hear the details.

I intend to enroll in one of these plans by mid-June when my bride and I take off on a 650 trip to the Yukon. We will return on the 4th of July and then I will hop on the Wing and head to Michigan to see family. While I am there I plan on doing another Ironbutt ride around the Lakes. This one will be on July 21st riding around Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. I might even stop by John's and see If I can talk him out of some Maple syrup
    Last edited by BigBob; 02-20-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I'm going to carry a spot and rely on common sense.
    Bob, your welcome to overnight or just lunch there's a good lakefront restaurant near me . You have my number. Tapping went well so there might be some syrup ☺

Sounds good John. I will be in touch as my trip gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    I can tell you for sure that although cellular coverage has improved dramatically over the last years, there are still areas where it is not available, or at least dependable.
    It was in rural Ohio where I couldn't contact my wife to tell her I'd arrived at my destination as I promised...Not outer Mongolia.
    Quite a few fun 2 lane road areas in Missouri with no coverage too. Get out west and there are lot's of dead zones.

Amazing how far the cell signals can reach without hills in the way. Took a sailboat around the Bahamas last Thanksgiving. Made sure I had my SPOT but always had cell coverage too. Slow 2G speeds frequently, but it was there.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

I have Med jet & use Spotwalla for my wife's piece of mind. While it uses Cell coverage & there are some gaps (Dragon) it is free. Link to last fall's trip...

Spot locator

Dont get SPOT....an ACR PLB is better by virtue of the number of agencies who adhere to the frequency standards used by a PLB. Double check if this has changed, but it was true when I bought my first PLB 10 years ago.

Fred

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

On a early June ride through the Canadian Rockies my spot failed. Dead on the road is what my wife thought. When I got to a phone I called home to ease her tension. Spot said "it happens sometimes " and sent a new unit to the home address , they refused to send the replacement to a temporary address while I was still traveling. I still use the spot because I have the hardware but would look around before buying the hardware again. John