Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Spot locator

  1. #11

    Re: Spot locator

    Thanks for the update. We have been pondering getting something for this years trip up the Dempster.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

  2. #12

    Re: Spot locator

    Aloha!

    From 1995 through about 2010, I would have said Spot was a MUST HAVE for me. I was on the road as much as possible to some pretty remote locations, and back then, I was often WAY out of cellular range most of the time. Today, with me slowing down on long distance bike runs, along with major Cell carriers having much better coverage, I don't find it a necessity. Google Maps Navigation on my phone combined with a quality carrier like Verizon or ATT gets me everywhere without any issues, and I can always send a message via text or email. Google Maps on my phone also downloads my routes for use when and if you don't have cell coverage and have to totally rely on GPS. I have a business phone on Verizon and a personal phone on ATT, so between the two, I have not been anyplace where at least ONE of these phones could not get service.

    If I were a true ADV rider or backpacker that went totally off grid, then YES, I'd spring for a SPOT in a heartbeat. But today, even in remote rural West Virginia I seem to have no issues with coverage via Cellular. Times are changing. And I'm slowing down on riding to very remote locations on the bike.

    -3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

    "He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

  3. #13

    Re: Spot locator

    Where John rode on his trip last year there is very little cell coverage. Depending where you go up here you can be off grid for a day or two at a time. On the Alcan and Cassiar there are only a few villages that have cell service. Something other than cell operated apps are needed if you want your family to keep track of you.

  4. #14
    Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Red Lake Ontario, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    184

    Re: Spot locator

    I love my Spot Trace......

  5. #15
    Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Dirtyairhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    278

    Re: Spot locator

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Aloha!

    From 1995 through about 2010, I would have said Spot was a MUST HAVE for me. I was on the road as much as possible to some pretty remote locations, and back then, I was often WAY out of cellular range most of the time. Today, with me slowing down on long distance bike runs, along with major Cell carriers having much better coverage, I don't find it a necessity. Google Maps Navigation on my phone combined with a quality carrier like Verizon or ATT gets me everywhere without any issues, and I can always send a message via text or email. Google Maps on my phone also downloads my routes for use when and if you don't have cell coverage and have to totally rely on GPS. I have a business phone on Verizon and a personal phone on ATT, so between the two, I have not been anyplace where at least ONE of these phones could not get service.

    If I were a true ADV rider or backpacker that went totally off grid, then YES, I'd spring for a SPOT in a heartbeat. But today, even in remote rural West Virginia I seem to have no issues with coverage via Cellular. Times are changing. And I'm slowing down on riding to very remote locations on the bike.

    -3Sport
    I agree with you that most of the time the spot is unnecessary. But she is happy to see the spots on the maps. If that's what it takes to make her happy while I ride alone , so be it.
    KISS

  6. #16
    American Gypsy privateer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    [random forest name]
    Posts
    864

    Re: Spot locator

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    Aloha!

    From 1995 through about 2010, I would have said Spot was a MUST HAVE for me. I was on the road as much as possible to some pretty remote locations, and back then, I was often WAY out of cellular range most of the time. Today, with me slowing down on long distance bike runs, along with major Cell carriers having much better coverage, I don't find it a necessity. Google Maps Navigation on my phone combined with a quality carrier like Verizon or ATT gets me everywhere without any issues, and I can always send a message via text or email. Google Maps on my phone also downloads my routes for use when and if you don't have cell coverage and have to totally rely on GPS. I have a business phone on Verizon and a personal phone on ATT, so between the two, I have not been anyplace where at least ONE of these phones could not get service.

    If I were a true ADV rider or backpacker that went totally off grid, then YES, I'd spring for a SPOT in a heartbeat. But today, even in remote rural West Virginia I seem to have no issues with coverage via Cellular. Times are changing. And I'm slowing down on riding to very remote locations on the bike.

    -3Sport
    I agree. There have been times I've had no cell service but other carriers did. If I had to contact someone, I could have by asking someone to help.

    If I was going to be alone completely, and out of cell service of all carriers, I might consider only an emergency satellite transponder. But.... and this is big to me, if you key the emergency button, be prepared to be billed for many thousands of dollars. I know some medical plans cover that. VA might even cover it for me, if I fight them about it. But Medicare doesn't, and most ACA plans have such high deductibles you might as well plan on spending the same amount for the deductible.

    So I have decided to rely on myself. I'm trained well enough I can take care of most simple traumas and have even done stitches to myself on one occasion. All I want from a locator really is to populate my location on Spotwalla as a record of my travels. If my phone app has to queue waypoints for a day, so be it.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

  7. #17

    Re: Spot locator

    I've got the Garmin Delorme inReach se. So far it works great. I bought it because at the time I was looking only the DeLorme could send and receive text. Wife liked it when I traveled out west into back country just so I could tell her I was fine. I also like to carry it when trail riding and I am out of cell coverage.

  8. #18
    Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Dirtyairhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    278

    Re: Spot locator

    Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    I agree. There have been times I've had no cell service but other carriers did. If I had to contact someone, I could have by asking someone to help.

    If I was going to be alone completely, and out of cell service of all carriers, I might consider only an emergency satellite transponder. But.... and this is big to me, if you key the emergency button, be prepared to be billed for many thousands of dollars. I know some medical plans cover that. VA might even cover it for me, if I fight them about it. But Medicare doesn't, and most ACA plans have such high deductibles you might as well plan on spending the same amount for the deductible.

    So I have decided to rely on myself. I'm trained well enough I can take care of most simple traumas and have even done stitches to myself on one occasion. All I want from a locator really is to populate my location on Spotwalla as a record of my travels. If my phone app has to queue waypoints for a day, so be it.
    Spot offers rescue insurance for you and your bike,cost about 25 dollars a year each plan. 2 rescue per year with 50 thousand dollars limits per rescue
    Last edited by Dirtyairhead; 02-20-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: More information

  9. #19
    American Gypsy privateer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    [random forest name]
    Posts
    864

    Re: Spot locator

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    Spot offers rescue insurance for you and your bike,cost about 25 dollars a year each plan. 2 rescue per year with 50 thousand dollars limits per rescue
    I think you should read the fine print, then go look at the billing rates for mercy flight extractions.

  10. #20
    Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Dirtyairhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    278

    Re: Spot locator

    Good point. I thought sales person told me that I will be covered up to 50k twice a year including air rescues. And the bike is a separate policy. I'll check it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •